Clown Pairing Attempt

rsoueid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I’ve been cycling a new innovative marine 20 gallon encore (two10g fused together). I just recently reached a point where I was able to introduce a pair of ocellaris clowns to one side (10g) with the intent of pairing them and later moving them to my 50 gallon mixed reef build upon its completion. One slightly larger than the other, and a new environment for both, I thought I’d get lucky and have them get along rather quickly. They’re both aquacultured (from Sea and Reef), so that kept me hopeful as well. After several days of regular clown behavior (nipping, and other assertion bullying), I noticed some ventral fin damage on the smaller of the two, a nice bite out of the larger’s tail. I tried to let them resolve their issues without my intervention but ultimately found the smaller to be bullied and charged at relentlessly. I didn’t like the damage I was seeing so, naturally I separated them. They’re still able to see each other through the fused glass pane. I’m hoping to reintroduce them tomorrow, but I’m slightly concerned with the larger clown’s aggro. She’s nipped at me several times while performing maintenance/cleaning, and she’s always chasing me at the glass and spitting sand at me. I’m wondering if I should just keep them split and MAYBE try to pair her with another male later down the road. My only concern is that they seem to approach each other at the divider quite often, and I’m not sure whether it’s out of territorial aggression or whether they’d rather give the pairing another shot. To be clear, I haven’t noticed any movement specific enough between them to be categorized as the “seizure” dance clowns make. Again, not sure whether I should reintroduce them or not, just looking for advice on what next steps I can go about taking. I’m perfectly fine letting them thrive solo as well, but I obviously want to make them as comfortable as possible. For reference here’s a video of the two separated as of tonight (sorry for the low quality, but I was doing my best to record from afar in the low light as to not startle them out of their interaction; the smaller is also very hard to see since he’s a naked morph, but hopefully this works)
All feedback is much appreciated :)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you may have a few issues, the naked morph and your typical ocellaris may just be fighting due to assuming they are dissimilar species and the potential territorial issues that comes with different types of clowns mixed in a small display. Or, they may both be female (which one WILL kill the other).

I've had success pairing standard maroon, tomato and clarkii's over the years (tomato's more than once). Usually the acclimation box method will tell you if there is a chance or not. Lack of 'seizure dancing' usually isn't a great sign. I'd try again, but be prepared for it to not go well. I've usually had success in 48-72 hours. The male submits and job done or if its two females, the non dominant female perishes or is pulled from the tank.

OP
OP
R

rsoueid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grateful for the very helpful and speedy reply. I’ll most likely keep them housed separate as to not risk any mortality. I’m hoping they’ll settle down and avoid meeting at the divider so often upon the addition of corals/new scape for them to claim. Thanks again for your help :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back