kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!

I'm now down to 4 clowns, one of which is in an isolation box. No they didn't kill the others, I just gave them away due to ongoing agression. The last 4 seem to get along, but that's what I said last time. I'll keep it this way for now, and I'll try to add more later when local breeders have some more davinci/gladiator juveniles!

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have any disease in the tank for 10 years and I didn't quarantine the new fish. It was a traumatic experience and it made me give up the idea of having a big group of clowns.

The remaining 3 are getting along and share the same anemone. The smaller one hasn't grown at all. They haven't laid eggs yet and I am hoping that when that happens, the couple will still accept their tiny companion.

I have 3 ocellaris clownfish like you had in my 210g tank with one Anemone, the third one always smaller than other two. All three of them are sleeping the same Anemone at night time, but the small one has to get out the "house" at day time. I think you need to prepare another house (Anemone) for the third one. He will be homeless soon.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven't bread yet, so yes, changes may happen.

They chose the biggest anemone in the tank and that makes sharing easier. There are over 20 anemones in the tank, so he won't be homeless.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been an excellent thread! I've always toyed with the idea of a circus tank but the unpredictability and current SPS addiction has kept me away.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most attempts fail. Even when they seem to work.

Either the group is really large to disperse aggression and the fish lead apparently senseless lives, or the group isn't large enough and there's a great deal of aggression, but the fish survive.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most attempts fail. Even when they seem to work.

Either the group is really large to disperse aggression and the fish lead apparently senseless lives, or the group isn't large enough and there's a great deal of aggression, but the fish survive.

When I had the larger bonded pair and the juveniles, it was working well. But as soon as I introduced a H. magnifica, the pair basically gave up keeping the small clowns in check, and the small clowns started becoming aggressive (largest one first). As if they were trying to figure out who would be able to convince the largest pair to let them into the mag. Which seemed to work. The largest of the small clowns would chase and attack the rest, and was allowed to get pretty close to the magnifica, and it took up residence in nearby bubbletips (kicking all others out). It seems that if the small clowns and the bonded pair are in the same "territory," the pair will keep the hierarchy together with little aggression. That magnifica definitely created some issues =)

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with my 4 groups of clowns in different areas of tanks.. will it end up being 4 queens.. or will it be still 1 pair and the rest minions?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with my 4 groups of clowns in different areas of tanks.. will it end up being 4 queens.. or will it be still 1 pair and the rest minions?

My guess is that if there are distinct groups (such that they don't cross or mingle), they will each establish a dominant queen. The hierarchy establishing will be the aggression, and the best case scenario is that the aggression isn't too bad and resolves quickly into one final female per group.

cwk84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is too small. Could have told you right away. Would never keep more than 2 clowns in a normal sized reef tank. 9 out of 10 times it does not work out.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Skunks[emoji13]

IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG

zagviper71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick question for all of you with clown fish harem tanks:

I was thinking since I have no corals to add a few big angel fish.. think it will be a problem with all the bta's? Hate to spend the money on them and have them get zapped by the bta's! Or just leave it all clownfish only tank?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their is always a chance that non Clownfish fish will get zapped

Austin Gentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing my research now for mine. Would love some input. Has anyone tried clowns that are naturally hosted by bubble tip anemones? Tomato or Cinnamon maybe?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back