Clownfish discoloration disease

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I lost a pair of clownfish overnight and wondering if anyone can identify what may have gone wrong. I had them in a Fluval Evo 13.5 with a watchman goby and yellow coris wrasse. The wrasse has some white/opaque spots under blue light so I’m wondering if it gave these guys a parasite? I’m not sure what to do other than keep an eye on the surviving fish.

Water Parameters:
Alk 9.0, Mg >1600ppm, Ca 480ppm, Nitrate 0.5ppm, Ammonia 0ppm, Salinity 34.5ppt

I've checked out some other threads and seems that there is no answer/root cause identified for a similar case a few months ago. I live in Canada (southern Ontario) so getting Metro, Focus, Prazi, etc. here is next to impossible (unless someone knows a way).

271747605_10158334705802127_39746249334133603_n.jpg tempImagePCdGPR.png

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were perfect, this was taken on December 22, 2021

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many diseases kill very fast, brook does in only a few days.
The discoloration does look similar to uronema, which is near impossible to treat, though usually the sores are more red.
Did they act off before dying: flashing, swimming into flow, lethargy, lack of appetite?
Pics of the wrasse could help too.

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discoloration does look similar to uronema, which is near impossible to treat, though usually the sores are more red.
Did they act off before dying: flashing, swimming into flow, lethargy, lack of appetite?
Here's a pic of the wrasse on the one side

Attachments

• IMG_3494 2.PNG
    IMG_3494 2.PNG
    674.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No abnormal behaviour, no lethargy or lack of appetite either

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal
this is the other side of the wrasse. The skin looks more opaque under blue light but its hard to capture on camera. No abnormal behaviour from this guy also, he eats well and usually has a fat stomach. No signs of grazing the rocks or glass either, so I think it may be just scratching from diving into the sand.

Attachments

• tempImageujPrtz.png
    tempImageujPrtz.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • tempImageu5Ayka.png
    tempImageu5Ayka.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • tempImagevVDwHJ.png
    tempImagevVDwHJ.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 31

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I lost a pair of clownfish overnight and wondering if anyone can identify what may have gone wrong. I had them in a Fluval Evo 13.5 with a watchman goby and yellow coris wrasse. The wrasse has some white/opaque spots under blue light so I’m wondering if it gave these guys a parasite? I’m not sure what to do other than keep an eye on the surviving fish.

Water Parameters:
Alk 9.0, Mg >1600ppm, Ca 480ppm, Nitrate 0.5ppm, Ammonia 0ppm, Salinity 34.5ppt

I've checked out some other threads and seems that there is no answer/root cause identified for a similar case a few months ago. I live in Canada (southern Ontario) so getting Metro, Focus, Prazi, etc. here is next to impossible (unless someone knows a way).

271747605_10158334705802127_39746249334133603_n.jpg tempImagePCdGPR.png

In this case, you want to look towards an acute, fast acting issue, since both clowns died overnight and with little apparent symptoms prior to that.

Can you get some clear pics and video of the yellow coris?
Does the aquarium contain invertebrates? Are they all o.k.?

Jay

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this case, you want to look towards an acute, fast acting issue, since both clowns died overnight and with little apparent symptoms prior to that.

Can you get some clear pics and video of the yellow coris?
Does the aquarium contain invertebrates? Are they all o.k.?

Jay

Hi Jay,

Hopefully this video shows the details a little more. I have 3-4 blue leg hermits, a nassarius snail, a turbo snail, a trocheus snail, and a conch in here too and they all seem fine.

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think my video worked, so here are some close up pics of the right side of the wrasse where the blotching/opaque white is under the blue light

tempImager4FKQm.png tempImage0n5Y7t.png tempImage7hHJEs.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Hopefully this video shows the details a little more. I have 3-4 blue leg hermits, a nassarius snail, a turbo snail, a trocheus snail, and a conch in here too and they all seem fine.

I was able to view the video by downloading it on my desktop (it wouldn't work on my phone).

The wrasse looks pretty good - I can just barely see the discolored patches ion the video, they don't show up as much under white light as they did under blue.

It does not look like a protozoan disease, or flukes. That pretty much leaves a bacterial skin infection as the third most common cause of this, but that is just a guess. I wonder if the clownfish had a different issue?

Sorry, but I do not see a clear course of treatment here. If it wasn't for the sudden loss of the clowns, I'd be inclined to say don't worry, just watch it....

Jay

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to view the video by downloading it on my desktop (it wouldn't work on my phone).

The wrasse looks pretty good - I can just barely see the discolored patches ion the video, they don't show up as much under white light as they did under blue.

It does not look like a protozoan disease, or flukes. That pretty much leaves a bacterial skin infection as the third most common cause of this, but that is just a guess. I wonder if the clownfish had a different issue?

Sorry, but I do not see a clear course of treatment here. If it wasn't for the sudden loss of the clowns, I'd be inclined to say don't worry, just watch it....

Jay
Thank you Jay, I appreciate the effort you put in to help me and I appreciate the diagnosis. I am stumped, as are a few members of my reefing community that I reached out to as well.

The most plausible explanation I’ve received so far is that perhaps it was a bad batch that I selected from, as designer clowns are likely prone to inbreeding due to demand and perhaps they didn’t have the strongest genetics.

I was advised to look at the fish’s scales under a microscope to see if it was possibly uronema, which I did do albeit using the fish intact under the scope (pics attached).

I now wonder what my next step should be as far as adding another pair to the tank. Likely I’ll just have to watch things for a few months or try some dither fish like mollies to test if the issue happens again.

175674D1-F697-47E0-89DD-8EB25A35723E.jpeg 85033A32-8613-416D-B862-F1BCEC43CFED.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay, I appreciate the effort you put in to help me and I appreciate the diagnosis. I am stumped, as are a few members of my reefing community that I reached out to as well.

The most plausible explanation I’ve received so far is that perhaps it was a bad batch that I selected from, as designer clowns are likely prone to inbreeding due to demand and perhaps they didn’t have the strongest genetics.

I was advised to look at the fish’s scales under a microscope to see if it was possibly uronema, which I did do albeit using the fish intact under the scope (pics attached).

I now wonder what my next step should be as far as adding another pair to the tank. Likely I’ll just have to watch things for a few months or try some dither fish like mollies to test if the issue happens again.

175674D1-F697-47E0-89DD-8EB25A35723E.jpeg 85033A32-8613-416D-B862-F1BCEC43CFED.jpeg
Did you see any motion under the microscope? Things moving around? That is a sign of protozoans.
Jay

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see any motion under the microscope? Things moving around? That is a sign of protozoans.
Jay

I did not observe any motion under the scope at a magnification of 120x, nothing seemed to be moving around

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not observe any motion under the scope at a magnification of 120x, nothing seemed to be moving around
O.K. Uronema will definitely move around, even ich trophonts will tumble around a bit.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own microscope so in lamens terms, in a language we can all understand please.. what could of caused this

That's the problem - I don't know the cause, just trying to figure it out....

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back