ClownFish in Very Rough Shape

Reilly Keenen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(please dont hate if this is in the wrong section I wasn't sure where to put it)
so I got this clown by accident (long story) and after a a day it developed clouded eyes, I think this was because the 2 clowns already in my system were bullying it. so I moved the clown into qt and started treating it with Rid Ich Plus. the clown seemed to be doing alright and was eating too. well we went away for 2 days and when I came back the little guy looked rough. salinity was good, I didn't check ammonia or nitrites becuase i wanted to get a water change done asap. (after the wc I checked and they were both at zero) it's now the day after and he still looks very bad, breathing very rapidly pivioting around his head and some times falling onto his side. one thing to note is the clouded eyes have gotten better but they arent gone. I have a power head pointed directly at the surface for gas exchange.

OP
OP
R

Reilly Keenen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60D1C25C-4893-4E46-AE88-B39089970DC2.jpeg
96B51397-1834-4EE9-991A-2409E7205416.jpeg
60D1C25C-4893-4E46-AE88-B39089970DC2.jpeg
C9AF8B3C-02AA-4DD8-A89D-97643509061E.jpeg
8AE86385-51D9-4DE9-BEF6-DFF540305CF0.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Reilly Keenen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for bad quality, there are no other physical signs of sickness on his body btw.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an accidental clown into a system with 2 existing clowns wasn't the best choice, but you've got him moved so that's good. Does it have any visible redness around the gills? That could indicate an ammonia issue, however, with the cloudy eyes it could be bacterial. I'm sure it's been super stressed from being bullied as well which won't help. Do you have any other medications on hand such as melafix or prazipro incase it's possible parasites?

OP
OP
R

Reilly Keenen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an accidental clown into a system with 2 existing clowns wasn't the best choice, but you've got him moved so that's good. Does it have any visible redness around the gills? That could indicate an ammonia issue, however, with the cloudy eyes it could be bacterial. I'm sure it's been super stressed from being bullied as well which won't help. Do you have any other medications on hand such as melafix or prazipro incase it's possible parasites?
I know I didn't want to put him into the main tank but I didn't have qt up and running so I had to put him somewhere (it was for less then 24 hours). I do not see any redness. right now I don't have any other meds. I can possibly get some later today.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a bacterial infection of his eyes, in which case Erythromycin has been helpful for some. Another possibility would be to use the combination of Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex. Antibiotics are slow-working on marine fish, so 10-14 days treatment would be in order.

Another possibility I would suggest for the cause of this fellow's illness would be Brooklynella. Humblefish has a clear and helpful write-up here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/#post-2913287

~Bruce

OP
OP
R

Reilly Keenen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a bacterial infection of his eyes, in which case Erythromycin has been helpful for some. Another possibility would be to use the combination of Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex. Antibiotics are slow-working on marine fish, so 10-14 days treatment would be in order.

Another possibility I would suggest for the cause of this fellow's illness would be Brooklynella. Humblefish has a clear and helpful write-up here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/#post-2913287

~Bruce
ive been treating with Rid Ich Plus, it has formalin and malachite green. should i keep treating with this?

OP
OP
R

Reilly Keenen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be effective as a bath - perhaps less so as an in-tank treatment.

Formalin can be rather harsh - and IIRC, is a carcinogen.

~Bruce
so I should try and get some meds like what you suggested above? if he pulls through the night then I can plan on doing that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back