Clownfish mutation

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my clownfish for about three years now and I bought them as little ocellaris about 1 inch and now they are massive. One of them however has grown big black spots where his pec fins attach to his body and the wierdest one is on his throat. Didnt know if this was common but ive never seen it before? Blurry picture but you can definitely see the spot
1363609835399.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are they just spots?

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its the wierdes thing. Im not worried about it or anything like that but was just wondering if it was normal lol or if it has happened to others

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, at one time I had a RBTA but got rid of it not long after. They sleep in the corners next to zoanthids and button polyps but I doubt zoanthids could do that...

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that the spot is on his belly and not his throat :) I believe the gene mutation that produces black on the belly is fairly rare. Some Onyx will get it and of course anything bred in with a Darwin but not normally other breeds. I think that breeding in the black belly into orange colorations of ocellaris and percula is an awesome project. I've got a Fancy White female with a Snow Onyx male that are laying and both have this black belly but are otherwise orange clownfish without a lot of black. I call them my Black Belly Project. Its a sweet look! Both the fish in my pair had this trait at a young age but it makes sense that it developed later in your clownfish's life. Most types of designers change color throughout their lives as they mature. Normal striped clownfish can also change color and develop blacks and different hues. I also see the black spots develop on the area where the pectoral fin connects to the body. All in all you definitely got a sweet clownfish there. I love the way clownfish can change color in time as they mature! Thanks for sharing :)

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats sweet! Yeah this one does have black spots on his pec fins too! They showed up two years ago and have just been getting bigger!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 109 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back