clowns without a nem

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t ridicule people just because they don’t do what you think is right. There are a lot of clowns that don’t even host anemone when you try to have them host it

Advising anyone to aim to provide the best conditions possible for an animal in their care has nothing to do with ridicule.

Where we stop is our own choice, we can chose from barely keeping them alive to finding out what makes them happy and do what we can to provide those conditions. It's a matter of empathy.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advising anyone to aim to provide the best conditions possible for an animal in their care has nothing to do with ridicule.

Where we stop is our own choice, we can chose from barely keeping them alive to finding out what makes them happy and do what we can to provide those conditions. It's a matter of empathy.
Not all clowns host, so you saying that is not completely true. As others have said they host other things

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is more important to get more than one clown than to get an anemone. I've seen video where clowns actually make barely audible clicking noises to each other. So they appear to communicate with each other. I would see a single clown as more of a stressor to the fish than not having a host anemone. They have a social structure.

That being said, my pair like to hang around and lay eggs on my leather coral. If breeding isn't the ultimate sign that the clowns are "happy", then I don't know what is. But that leather is their coral. They sit among the folds of the leather and seem to enjoy being in it. So I would rather see someone new get a pair of clowns instead of worrying about supporting an anemone as well, which is typically more difficult to care for.
And once again Vette67 makes perfect sense to me. I had a 13 year old tomato clown that didn't know an anemone from a power head. He had only seen the latter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back