OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but we aren't dealing with wild caught clowns in most cases these days. I quit the hobby back in the late 90's and tank bred clowns were already becoming available. how many generations removed before the need is bred out of them? kinda like comparing your dog to a wolf, or house cat to a lion.
good analogy fella, i like it

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think differentiating the needs of captive bred and wild fish is a fair option.

A captive bred clown enjoys its natural host as much as a wild one. It's a dangerous path to assume a captive bred fish doesn't need to be treated with same level of respect as a wild one.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think differentiating the needs of captive bred and wild fish is a fair option.

A captive bred clown enjoys its natural host as much as a wild one. It's a dangerous path to assume a captive bred fish doesn't need to be treated with same level of respect as a wild one.
I hear what your saying...but thats like saying how it isn't fair to house a fish in an aquarium when their natural environment (the ocean) is a million times larger.

Not a fair analogy.

But I hear you.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wondering, was this failed split attempt a natural occurrence or artificially induced by you?

I wouldn't dare. It tried to split for a few weeks and failed. I suspect the rock wasn't large enough. I moved it to a hospital tank and treated it with antibiotics because it wasn't looking good and it finally completed the split. The smaller clone didn't make it.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't disagree on treating them, regardless of origin, with respect, but you are denying the fact that needs change
with breeding.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear what your saying...but thats like saying how it isn't fair to house a fish in an aquarium when their natural environment (the ocean) is a million times larger.

Not a fair analogy.

But I hear you.

Each one of us has to decide where to draw the line.

I had to opportunity to watch fish in their natural habitats for hundreds of hours and some of them have miserable lives to the point where I thought they would be better off in a fish tank.

I do deny that captive breeding changes their ability to enjoy their natural host. I have not seen any evidence hinting otherwise.

When I removed the magnifica from the tank to treat it, the clowns were completely lost for weeks until I returned it.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each one of us has to decide where to draw the line.

I had to opportunity to watch fish in their natural habitats for hundreds of hours and some of them have miserable lives to the point where I thought they would be better off in a fish tank.

I do deny that captive breeding changes their ability to enjoy their natural host. I have not seen any evidence hinting otherwise.

When I removed the magnifica from the tank to treat it, the clowns were completely lost for weeks until I returned it.
in their natural habitat and they have miserable lives? wow.

I didn't say they wouldn't "enjoy" their natural host if given the opportunity. but they can live completely stress free life in an aquarium with out ever having come in contact with their in wild host.

and as to the ones that were completely lost for weeks when you removed their host. maybe so.
but if they had never been introduced to one in the first place they would never have known what they were missing. again wolf/dog.

@yanni sorry for hijacking the thread. yes, you can keep clownfish with out a nem and they will live stress free lives in your aquarium. fish aren't happy or sad. they are either stressed or stress free in the environment we provide for them.

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I'm fairly new to this hobby, and have a question. For reference sake, I'll be using the AquaOne Mini Reef 120Litre tank.

I've been looking at getting two clownfish, but have been thinking maybe only getting one and then a buddy fish they get along with well. Anyone recommend a fish it'll get along with, or would it be best just to get two clowns? I love clowns, was just thinking variety and in case the clown doesn't like the other, at least another clown is a safe bet for a buddy!

And my next question! With having 1, or even 2 clowns, do i HAVE to have an anemone?? Are they absolutely necessary, or do clownfish not mind having one? I have no experience with anemones, and I know they can be beautiful, but will clownfish be happy w/o one?

hope this makes sense! Thank you for reading
Hi! Clownfish are an amazing choice, I’ve had two in my reef tank and they are very very forgiving for starters. Also no an anemone is not a necessity for clowns, they’ll do just fine without them

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets say i get my tank, cycle it, parameters are good, then i can add clowns into it? will my clowns be happy with just the rock structures?
Yes they will live just as long and happy with one or not mine have been with me a long time with anemones and without. Forget all the nonsense above and just keep them well fed they will be happy. Mine in fact didn’t spawn until they didn’t have a nem. Granted it wasn’t a mag but I wouldn’t risk a mag and I’ve been reefing since 2006.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns without a nem can/will live a happy life. But they will most likely need something else, ex. my clowns are in a torch coral.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clowns love there Kenya Tree for close to 5 years now.

Attachments

• 2021-1-28 9-2-41[1081].jpg
    2021-1-28 9-2-41[1081].jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 2020-7-13 13-14-49~4[1085].jpg
    2020-7-13 13-14-49~4[1085].jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 32

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is more important to get more than one clown than to get an anemone. I've seen video where clowns actually make barely audible clicking noises to each other. So they appear to communicate with each other. I would see a single clown as more of a stressor to the fish than not having a host anemone. They have a social structure.

That being said, my pair like to hang around and lay eggs on my leather coral. If breeding isn't the ultimate sign that the clowns are "happy", then I don't know what is. But that leather is their coral. They sit among the folds of the leather and seem to enjoy being in it. So I would rather see someone new get a pair of clowns instead of worrying about supporting an anemone as well, which is typically more difficult to care for.

Last edited:

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is more important to get more than one clown than to get an anemone. I've seen video where clowns actually make barely audible clicking noises to each other. So they appear to communicate with each other. I would see a single clown as more of a stressor to the fish than not having a host anemone. They have a social structure.

That being said, my pair like to hang around and lay eggs on my leather coral. If breeding isn't the ultimate sign that the clowns are "happy", then I don't know what is. But that leather is their coral. They sit among the folds of the leather and seem to enjoy being in it. So I would rather see someone new get a pair of clowns instead of worrying about supporting an anemone as well, which is typically more difficult to care for.
My pair laid eggs twice but I am in no position to raise them. But they are happy.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair laid eggs twice but I am in no position to raise them. But they are happy.
Agreed. Mine spawn every 2 weeks or so and I am in no position to raise the fry either. I see the eggs on a regular basis, and I wish I had the drive to raise them, but that takes a lot of work.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with mags is short, I just began keeping one 3 years ago. It's much more stable in its position than a bubbletip. It loves high light and high flow.

Most of them arrive in poor conditions and need antibiotics. After that, they're easy to keep animals.

If someone has a clown and doesn't think about it as a disposable item and wants to give it a long happy life, one should set as a goal learning how to keep its natural host.
You shouldn’t ridicule people just because they don’t do what you think is right. There are a lot of clowns that don’t even host anemone when you try to have them host it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Even if you did get a anemone, the clowns may not like it!
my clown sleeps in a bed of Xenia.
Actually, the nem may not like the clowns. The clowns are the guests, , , , the nem is the host

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No anemone here. My maroon lady hangs out in her cave. She isn’t very aggressive, doesn’t bite, and only shoos some other fish away if they try to actually go in her cave. She’s been content for over five years.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes- no anemone is fine. One of my tanks are fish only- nothing alive but fish and clowns are in the tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back