CO2 Scrubber Testing

MantisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to thank you for suggesting drilling a small hole to reduce excess moisture. My initial attempt to recirc the skimmer air resulted in way too much water collecting in the reactor, media clumped together after just 1 week and stopped working altogether. Small hole on the intake to the reactor took care of that.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@JDowns thank you for your thorough testing of this. Really insightful and has helped me determine the best way to go about implementing something similar in my own setup. Did you ever get around to doing that last test?

I set up a Co2 scrubber that pulls air from the skimmer cup, but in just 2 days I have a massive build up of water in the bottom of the canister, has me a bit nervous and I’m wondering if anyone implemented this catch can that @Njdevils1220 kindly linked? Is this unit sealed, so it won’t allow outside air to be sucked in?

Any concern about the use of bronze, steel or aluminum in the catch can that can corrode and somehow get into the tank?

Keep up the great work everyone, interested in implementing the ball valve(s) at some point too.

Something to consider, on high performance cars we use catch cans to catch oil coming from the PCV system to reduce detonation issues in high performance engines. In theory these DIY water traps you guys are making are the same thing. If you wanted a more aesthetically pleasing option you could try a cheap catch can from amazon such as

Last edited:

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another question. Should you connect the Co2 scrubber to the skimmer silencer, or bypass the silencer and go straight into the Venturi?

I have it connected to the silencer right now, but can easily change it.

123E1659-0385-4B90-B6F9-332EFE416D97.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. Should you connect the Co2 scrubber to the skimmer silencer, or bypass the silencer and go straight into the Venturi?

I have it connected to the silencer right now, but can easily change it.

123E1659-0385-4B90-B6F9-332EFE416D97.jpeg
Straight to the venturi works really well for me, but I have seen it done both ways.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to thank you for suggesting drilling a small hole to reduce excess moisture.

Doesn't drilling a hole let in unscrubbed air?

I just use a DIY moisture trap, like mentioned above you can also buy something similar.
scrubber-trap.png

Just changed my reactor media yesterday:
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 11.42.34 AM.png

Unfortunately the last batch of CO2 scrubbing media I got (from an online vet supply) was shaped as small cylindrical pellets that don't pack as well as the small spheres like in the BRS stuff, and I think allow some air bypass, so I need to find some spherical stuff.

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone figure out he best solenoid or other type of valve for use with a PH controller?

I simply cannot figure out what I need for a seamless integration.

I just want something that plugs into my apex and I can push connect my 1/2” lines into. Use it to keep my ph at 8.4

Seems like it would be easy, but I can’t find crap. Really annoying. Maybe I need an engineer to design one.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you didn’t want to DIY something. Would this work, or is the bronze connections something to be worried about?

The previously linked one was aluminum so is that better for our use? (I like the clear canister so you can see the water build up.)

B000AAF6-62A8-447A-B8FD-BF6444520E79.jpeg

Last edited:

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JDowns thank you for your thorough testing of this. Really insightful and has helped me determine the best way to go about implementing something similar in my own setup. Did you ever get around to doing that last test?

I set up a Co2 scrubber that pulls air from the skimmer cup, but in just 2 days I have a massive build up of water in the bottom of the canister, has me a bit nervous and I’m wondering if anyone implemented this catch can that @Njdevils1220 kindly linked? Is this unit sealed, so it won’t allow outside air to be sucked in?

Any concern about the use of bronze, steel or aluminum in the catch can that can corrode and somehow get into the tank?

Keep up the great work everyone, interested in implementing the ball valve(s) at some point too.
Why is it pulling air from the skimmer cup. Isn’t it suppose to pull ambient air on the in side and Them through the skimmer and then out to the silencer or straight to the skimmer? Are you trying to recirculate the same air to increase efficiency? The way I do it it has a tendency to dry out instead of get too much moisture.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can anyone tell me how much moisture there’s supposed to be inside the canister?

I tried adding a catch can, and it still didn’t help, too much condensation in the pipes and the media was getting too wet.

I have now tried drilling a small hole in the outlet which has helped cut down condensation altogether, but now I’m worried it’s not damp enough? Maybe patch the hole and drill a smaller hole?

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve attached a pic of the canister. )The smaller canister is a DIY catch can.)

Note the condensation on the pipes and on the inside of the smaller canister, there is also a bit in the main canister. Is this how it should be?

DFF43342-4247-4D47-8B91-A71E3930C0BB.jpeg

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant a picture of the hole... what size hole did you drill and where is it?

Rostato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been debating drilling a hole in the bottom of the canister and attaching a valve to it so that I can drain the canister. The moisture is fine as long as it’s not flooding your canister.

Multra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys cover all of the holes in the skimmer lid, if your skimmer lid came with holes already in it?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys cover all of the holes in the skimmer lid, if your skimmer lid came with holes already in it?

Yes I did tape over the holes. To me "recirculating" implies a closed system. Works great for me. I am getting 6-8 weeks out the media and picked up +- .25 on pH. I have not measured household CO2 to know what kind of concentration I am working against.

Skimmate production remains unaffected.

@Rostato is there some risk in doing so that I am overlooking?

Back