OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's been at the LFS for at least two months, then I'd assume it's not sick. If less than a month, I'd be concerned.
Btw, thank you for your previous post, it was very helpful. Do you have a pic of your tank to use as a reference?

@OrionN @D-Nak is there like a mega anemone thread on how to identify and care? I'm happy to create one somewhere if not. I think it will be helpful, since the information isn't easily available. Even with me searching and reading past post, it only painted an impartial picture.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only a handful of host anemones. There care requirement are well know. It is all out there. You really don't need a huge thread. Maybe in the early days of reefkeeping.
That is why old site like Reef Central was so good. There is a thread there that have all the you need to know on various anemones and clown fish. A large number of pictures of various species of host anemones. A large number of anemone enthusiasts contributed to it.
Too bad Reef Central have been fallen on such hard time.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a skimmerless 55 gallon with two powerheads on A - B pulse for waves. Weekly water change and a hanging bag of carbon. Glass lids for light and a heater on each side. I do like to feed carpets every two weeks though.Consistency is the key as long as you keep it stable.

One day I will go back to those nice tanks everyone else has. But with very young kids it’s nice to be lazy and low tech.

I probably wouldn’t feed yours until you know they have adapted well to your tank. I don’t think the anemones are hard. Way easier if you don’t have other types of coral as they don’t care much for certain water parameters.

Honestly, I learned by read all the threads posted by these cool nem experts. They are the best. Become a stalker and you’ll be an expert in a few months. Lol

C24E3EDB-475E-405B-B76D-841DAEE31A62.jpeg

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be a purple gig based on that photo with white light, though it’s still tough to tell from that photo. I’ve seen purples with a mix of blue tentacles in there, so it could also be both blue and purple.

I keep my gigs on rocks near the top. They tend to hang on the side of the rock work or the surface of the rock. It won’t hurry it’s column in the sand like a haddoni, it’s a rock dweller.

2 months is an insane amount of time for such a beautiful anemone to hang out at a LFS! I feel like in my town it would be gone within days. Even so, keep a close eye on it that it doesn’t start to spiral down in health. Gaping mouth and deflating cycle. Best of luck with it! You have a gem there.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a skimmerless 55 gallon with two powerheads on A - B pulse for waves. Weekly water change and a hanging bag of carbon. Glass lids for light and a heater on each side. I do like to feed carpets every two weeks though.Consistency is the key as long as you keep it stable.

One day I will go back to those nice tanks everyone else has. But with very young kids it’s nice to be lazy and low tech.

I probably wouldn’t feed yours until you know they have adapted well to your tank. I don’t think the anemones are hard. Way easier if you don’t have other types of coral as they don’t care much for certain water parameters.

Honestly, I learned by read all the threads posted by these cool nem experts. They are the best. Become a stalker and you’ll be an expert in a few months. Lol

Your tank is so beautiful. How many of those are from splits versus you buying. I've been able to keep 3 anemones alive for over about a year (I started 13 months ago). I've lost one after it splitted, both died, and I lost one by killing it with a rock ( so sad).

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be a purple gig based on that photo with white light, though it’s still tough to tell from that photo. I’ve seen purples with a mix of blue tentacles in there, so it could also be both blue and purple.

I keep my gigs on rocks near the top. They tend to hang on the side of the rock work or the surface of the rock. It won’t hurry it’s column in the sand like a haddoni, it’s a rock dweller.

2 months is an insane amount of time for such a beautiful anemone to hang out at a LFS! I feel like in my town it would be gone within days. Even so, keep a close eye on it that it doesn’t start to spiral down in health. Gaping mouth and deflating cycle. Best of luck with it! You have a gem there.
Actually, they had maybe 3 or 4 blue anemones, two red, many toxic greens, and probably a dozen beautiful red btas. So it was the last one. I picked up both the red and blue. Plus, some were $1200, and with the economy I bet people did not want to shell out that kind of money.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for video! Hard to tell what level of flow it will look for me since the tentacle on mine is much shorter.

As your anemone settles in the tentacles will get longer, deeper color, and thicker. They can take a pretty good pounding. The more flow you give them the longer the tentacles will get.

You definitely lucked out with it being a Gig. A blue gig is much harder to find and more valuable than a blue haddoni. Especially a healthy gig.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your anemone settles in the tentacles will get longer, deeper color, and thicker. They can take a pretty good pounding. The more flow you give them the longer the tentacles will get.

You definitely lucked out with it being a Gig. A blue gig is much harder to find and more valuable than a blue haddoni. Especially a healthy gig.
He is sitting right next to my haddoni. If I turn up flow will it harm my haddoni?

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, they had maybe 3 or 4 blue anemones, two red, many toxic greens, and probably a dozen beautiful red btas. So it was the last one. I picked up both the red and blue. Plus, some were $1200, and with the economy I bet people did not want to shell out that kind of money.
I’m so jealous! I’m guessing you live on the west coast somewhere? I think the price is appropriate for this species, truly gorgeous and a higher price can help prevent someone fresh to the hobby buying it without knowing what they’re getting themselves into. I assume all the reds were haddonis? I have only seen one red gig on these forums once and I don’t believe it made it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for video! Hard to tell what level of flow it will look for me since the tentacle on mine is much shorter.
If you can get it to stay healthy it will have long tentacles. Haddoni does not like near as much flow. Since they don’t like similar condition, one is likely going to move. Which one depends on what kind of environment you provide locally there.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I noticed you do not cover your powerhead. You don't have issues? I'm still in awe with your tank. I aspire for it to look like this one day

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have had stuck carpets before. But they don’t make covers for Tunze pumps and sponges are too much work to keep clean. If you have Vortechs then you are in luck.

1CA42F01-049A-458D-9C94-D6B97D112648.jpeg

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you have a Haddoni and gigantea. Might as well search and add a Mertensii as well.

The one is mine. Just a little baby.

B6D8CAD1-6E58-42A3-9778-B32D43C47B76.jpeg

You should see Taylor’s tank. He is like the Godfather of Gigantea @Taylor t

Pictured is used without permission. I hope this is okay.

8E501D45-6E84-4CF8-B040-27FA4006623C.jpeg

but my favourite is a user named shutiny

she is out of the hobby now but look for her journal on another forum. You will learn so much and oogle that 1000+ anemone tank.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... I'm just realizing this now. You picked up the gig from Robert, and it was there for two months? My gig-sense (it's like a spider-sense) never went off. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... I'm just realizing this now. You picked up the gig from Robert, and it was there for two months? My gig-sense (it's like a spider-sense) never went off. :rolleyes:

What do you mean by spider sense? Do you mean you don't believe me that it was in the store for 2 months? Ill correct myself and say ive been passing by for a couple months and have seen the anemones.. I also asked one of the employees and he said he's been taking care of the anemone for two months, and that it is healthy and has been through Cipro treatment. I just passed by and saw a purple/red one there that's been there for more than 2 months ($1200). I just picked up a yellow gig that they just got and was floating.

Last edited:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by spider sense? Do you mean you don't believe me that it was in the store for 2 months? Ill correct myself and say ive been passing by for a couple months and have seen the anemones.. I also asked one of the employees and he said he's been taking care of the anemone for two months, and that it is healthy and has been through Cipro treatment. I just passed by and saw a purple/red one there that's been there for more than 2 months ($1200). I just picked up a yellow gig that they just got and was floating.

Hah-hah... I totally believe you. I just meant that I didn't know it was there. My friends always tell me when a LFS has a gig. This time they failed me!

Regarding the green one, I must warn you that you're taking a HUGE risk by placing it right in the DT. They're notorious for being sick when they first arrive.

OP
OP
sprungson

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah-hah... I totally believe you. I just meant that I didn't know it was there. My friends always tell me when a LFS has a gig. This time they failed me!

Regarding the green one, I must warn you that you're taking a HUGE risk by placing it right in the DT. They're notorious for being sick when they first arrive.
He told me that the importer treated it for two weeks before shipping it to him. I'll have Cipro ready just in case and im literally working from home next to my tank and will keep an eye. I appreciate all your help. Btw, I'll hit you up if I see any anemones.

Neptune still has a red and a purple carpet and a bunch of red rbta

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back