CONICAL BOTTOM TANK BUILD 13GAL.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After little over one year trying different tank designs for dendronephthya corals, with all the trial and error I've gone through. This is a different tank design for these challenging corals. After this tank build going to try oval tank design. I'm hoping this conical bottom tank will help these corals thrive we shall see. I will receive this tank by April 8th maybe sooner I hope. Stay tune

Screenshot_20190222-205849.png

If there was larger ones of these clear conical tank I would have purchase one of them.

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After little over one year trying different tank designs for dendronephthya corals, with all the trial and error I've gone through. This is a different tank design for these challenging corals. After this tank build going to try oval tank design. I'm hoping this conical bottom tank will help these corals thrive we shall see. I will receive this tank by April 8th maybe sooner I hope. Stay tune

If there was larger ones of these clear conical tank I would have purchase one of them.
Out of curiosity - what is the reason for the non standard tank shape? Looks interesting!

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about planning a conical tank that had a sump with under gravel filters stocked with photosynthetic sponges and macroalgae maybe a gorgonian. So in theory no detritus would settle. And the sponges and macroalgae will clean the rest I can dream of a perfect system dont judge me

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity - what is the reason for the non standard tank shape? Looks interesting!
The corals I'm trying to raise need consider amount of feeding. So the theory is whatever food Falls out of suspension will go to the bottom of the tank and then I can remove it quick and keep the water quality high for these types of corals.

Sample

Screenshot_2019-02-18-19-26-57-1.png

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really cool concept. I've though of the same things as far as water quality goes (conical bottom, most/all detritus falls and can be drained fully with partial water changes). What water volume will the tank hold? What is your plan to keep livestock out of the "cone"?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really cool concept. I've though of the same things as far as water quality goes (conical bottom, most/all detritus falls and can be drained fully with partial water changes). What water volume will the tank hold? What is your plan to keep livestock out of the "cone"?
I wish these tanks were made larger but the largest I can get is 13 gallons(clear), so beggars can't be choosers. The bottom of the tank maybe four inches above the drain I will put egg crate. I will also cut some of the top to get easier access as regards to where the corals are going they will hang on the back of the tank, so the water flow will be linear but with a surge, one direction then the water will flow opposite direction.

Sample corals

Screenshot_2019-02-18-19-37-35-1.png

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish these tanks were made larger but the largest I can get is 13 gallons(clear), so beggars can't be choosers. The bottom of the tank maybe four inches above the drain I will put egg crate. I will also cut some of the top to get easier access as regards to where the corals are going they will hang on the back of the tank, so the water flow will be linear but with a surge, one direction then the water will flow opposite direction.

Sample corals

Those are really cool! I saw the other thread about them. I like to think I feed pretty heavy - how much do they need to be fed?

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sample corals

13gals is a great start (in my opinion). Looking forward to seeing the build. Do you mind if I ask where you got the tank and stand?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are really cool! I saw the other thread about them. I like to think I feed pretty heavy - how much do they need to be fed?
Even if you just have one in a tank, you feed liquid food till the water gets hazy then stop, wait and do it again every 1 to 2 hours. Also if you can feed off and on through the day Reef rodds or comparable any food that is like flour fine in texture they will like.

Another sample

Screenshot_2019-02-17-20-41-58-1.png

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13gals is a great start (in my opinion). Looking forward to seeing the build. Do you mind if I ask where you got the tank and stand?
I ordered last night off of ebay. The other website that advertise it I wasn't too comfortable so I went with eBay i buy their as often as I can.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so intrigued...

great concept and I love that the design and shape has a purpose.

Along for the ride on this one. You may be onto something here for sure.

What was on the order? :)

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update, forgot about this thread, this conical bottom tank still not available. Waiting on tank

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back