cooling fans not working :( need help troubleshooting

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my Oceanic Biocube 29 with coralife compact florescent bulbs was purchased used. I have had this tank about 9 months or so and the cooing fans in it have never seemed to work. I am about to replace my 10K white bulb and figured I would trouble shoot the fans. They seem to be just fine in condition but neither of them work no matter whats plugged in. There is a little electrical dohicky that I have no idea what it is but im guessing its a powersupply for the fans???? I would like to maybe replace this instead of buying new fans since it seems pretty corroded. If anyone has any ideas as to what I should do or what that lil dohicky is called im all ears.. ill post a pic of the thing in a few min just need to use the phone to do so..

Ty in advance

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1389460851.122642.jpg

Sorry for the iphone pic but its the best i can do. Im thinking this is the problem but i dont know what it is

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i may have put this in the wrong section so im bumping it back up to hopefully draw some attention

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a volt meter? If so test the two wires going to the fan and see if you have current. That will tell you if the fan is okay or not. Also i had trouble with a fan like that and it was caused by dirt and debris that had accumulated and once i cleaned them they turned with ease and worked.

OP
OP
Lovge

Lovge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a volt meter? If so test the two wires going to the fan and see if you have current. That will tell you if the fan is okay or not. Also i had trouble with a fan like that and it was caused by dirt and debris that had accumulated and once i cleaned them they turned with ease and worked.

hmm yeah i need a multi meter anyway, good thing to invest in ill grab one next weekend. one fan spins freely and the other one sounds like its full of dirt lol. you dont know what that little electrical dohicky thing is by chance do u?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back