Copper power with Kanaplex or Ruby Reef Rally?

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the prazi seems to have helped. The blue tang is no longer scratching this morning and seems to have better breathing. Same with lavender. When should I do a water change and put back the skimmer cup?

Unfortunately the naso didn't make it...
I'm not sure why, I had an aerator and the skimmer overflowing. The display tank was full of micro bubbles. Does prazi stress the fish? Did the spasming flukes kill it? Ammonia spike? It was eating and healthy literally the night before. It seems to have a mark on it, don't know if it's just weird pigmentation @Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• 791561A6-4BD1-44DA-8007-392FABD1E442.jpeg
    791561A6-4BD1-44DA-8007-392FABD1E442.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 5457CD1A-94A4-49A2-9C44-92D1A63EA99C.jpeg
    5457CD1A-94A4-49A2-9C44-92D1A63EA99C.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 38

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. If the naso is freshly dead, lift up a gill cover and look at the gills. If they are white or very light pink, that is a sign of anemia. Dark red is normal.

What can happen is - if a fish has a very heavy fluke infestation, the prazi causes the flukes to all drop off at once. This leaves hundreds/thousands of tiny holes in the fish's skin and/or gills and the fish bleeds out. This results in anemia and sometimes death. White gills are a sign of that. However, if the fish has been dead for 4+ hours, the gills will naturally turn more pale.

Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. If the naso is freshly dead, lift up a gill cover and look at the gills. If they are white or very light pink, that is a sign of anemia. Dark red is normal.

What can happen is - if a fish has a very heavy fluke infestation, the prazi causes the flukes to all drop off at once. This leaves hundreds/thousands of tiny holes in the fish's skin and/or gills and the fish bleeds out. This results in anemia and sometimes death. White gills are a sign of that. However, if the fish has been dead for 4+ hours, the gills will naturally turn more pale.

Jay
Is it possible for no signs of illness but still flukes? Would seem weird if it had a heavy infestation and no signs

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for no signs of illness but still flukes? Would seem weird if it had a heavy infestation and no signs

No - you would have likely seen rapid breathing, flashing/scratching or tattered fins/cloudy eyes on the fish.

The marks are likely post-death artifacts. Tangs are not sensitive to praziquantel itself and it sounds like you had the aeration issue covered.

Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - you would have likely seen rapid breathing, flashing/scratching or tattered fins/cloudy eyes on the fish.

The marks are likely post-death artifacts. Tangs are not sensitive to praziquantel itself and it sounds like you had the aeration issue covered.

Jay

This is a mystery to me. I see no signs of velvet/ich, or anything else. All other fish are eating. Even the Copperband, supposedly sensitive to medication, ate frozen clam this morning.

Perhaps it was just stress, it was the smallest tang, a juvenile, though I saw no aggression towards it. Maybe juvenile tangs are more sensitive to Prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a mystery to me. I see no signs of velvet/ich, or anything else. All other fish are eating. Even the Copperband, supposedly sensitive to medication, ate frozen clam this morning.

Perhaps it was just stress, it was the smallest tang, a juvenile, though I saw no aggression towards it. Maybe juvenile tangs are more sensitive to Prazi?

No, I've dosed hundreds (perhaps thousands) of tangs with prazi and have never had an issue.

I didn't ask - how long have you had the naso? We are see a lot of issues with nasos coming in and just not doing well. If you've had it less than a month, that could be the issue.

Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I've dosed hundreds (perhaps thousands) of tangs with prazi and have never had an issue.

I didn't ask - how long have you had the naso? We are see a lot of issues with nasos coming in and just not doing well. If you've had it less than a month, that could be the issue.

Jay
Hmm, I just got it, had it less than a month. Maybe the prazi was just the tiniest thing that tipped something over the edge.

Any theories on why new nasos suddenly aren't doing well?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I just got it, had it less than a month. Maybe the prazi was just the tiniest thing that tipped something over the edge.

Any theories on why new nasos suddenly aren't doing well?
It seems to be due to more nasos coming from SE Asia after Hawaii closed down, in conjunction with longer box times due to Covid. Nasos from Hawaii were sturdier.
Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be due to more nasos coming from SE Asia after Hawaii closed down, in conjunction with longer box times due to Covid. Nasos from Hawaii were sturdier.
Jay
Thanks for sharing. Did they tend to gradually decline or very suddenly go south?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Did they tend to gradually decline or very suddenly go south?

Pretty quickly - the cases we see in less than a week. Some people think it is from collection with cyanide, I'm not so sure, because this species isn't too hard to catch in barrier nets, they shouldn't have to use cyanide on them.

Jay

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i know this is a older thread but i was wondering if someone can help me i got ick in my dt so i took fish out to qt the fish are on day 19 in copper power and i noticed my scopas tang has developed what i think to be a bacterial infection on his rear end so i was wondering i live in canada and meds are real hard to get but i do have ruby reef rally so was wondering can i dose it to the qt that already a theraputic copper levels ? Or would i be better of doing a bath for the affected fish ? Would the RRR even help with the situation ? I have read that it can help with bacterial infections just not sure how to go about with this any help is appreciated thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_5509.mov
    18.9 MB

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i know this is a older thread but i was wondering if someone can help me i got ick in my dt so i took fish out to qt the fish are on day 19 in copper power and i noticed my scopas tang has developed what i think to be a bacterial infection on his rear end so i was wondering i live in canada and meds are real hard to get but i do have ruby reef rally so was wondering can i dose it to the qt that already a theraputic copper levels ? Or would i be better of doing a bath for the affected fish ? Would the RRR even help with the situation ? I have read that it can help with bacterial infections just not sure how to go about with this any help is appreciated thanks :)
Hard to see but its a red bump patch on his rear end on both sides

Attachments

• IMG_5512.jpeg
    IMG_5512.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5511.jpeg
    IMG_5511.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 23

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see the video clearly, there is lots of stuff on the glass (grin).

Ruby Reef isn’t a full antibiotic, but I know those are tough to get in Canada. You can dose it with copper.

Is the ich being controlled?

Jay

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ruby Reef isn’t a full antibiotic, but I know those are tough to get in Canada. You can dose it with copper.

Jay
Yes they are showing almost no more sign of ick except the occasional flash but now im also suspecting flukes so leaning towards dosing my qt that already has copper with the RRR also as i have other fish in there as a preventive messure for the bacterial infevtion and hoping also helps with the flukes ( fish are yawning alot but have not done fw dip yet was going to adress it after thr copper ) and yea in canada i cant get any meds at all i have to ship from us and hop they dont get stopped at border thats when i even find a site i can get it shipped from not having much luck :(

xjesster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Back