Coral/Invert Quarantine Time Frames

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya.. just want to make sure that we were on same page with the principles of TTM .. I am going to TTM him regardless.. then probablly put the Seahare in 10 gallon and let him sit another two months.. feeding him might prove to be a challenge.. Just have too many QT tanks .. one for corals.. another for snails, another for fish.. and now another 10 gallon for the seahare..

Crazy.....

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya.. just want to make sure that we were on same page with the principles of TTM .. I am going to TTM him regardless.. then probablly put the Seahare in 10 gallon and let him sit another two months.. feeding him might prove to be a challenge.. Just have too many QT tanks .. one for corals.. another for snails, another for fish.. and now another 10 gallon for the seahare..

Crazy.....

I know all about it. I am helping 4ford family stock his wall tank. I am soon to have 7 tanks running by this weekend.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about small plastic shoe-box type containers for QTing snail/crabs/shrimp etc? Maybe save some space vs 10g tanks

I use one for shrimp- all they need is heat, and an airstone for circulation. Remove and replace a couple cups water every 5-7 days for a wc. Then into DT after it molts.

51d1298be894cf2daa7912f73e203160.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question:
since I am going to QT everything wet..all or nothing here.
I am not 100% sure on CUC snails and crags but mostly snails. I am setting up a new tank. take LR for old tank and rescape the new, can i add the CUC to the DT to use as a QT? while the fish will go through QT? sand LR and corals. be 45 days min, before fish are added.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question:
since I am going to QT everything wet..all or nothing here.
I am not 100% sure on CUC snails and crags but mostly snails. I am setting up a new tank. take LR for old tank and rescape the new, can i add the CUC to the DT to use as a QT? while the fish will go through QT? sand LR and corals. be 45 days min, before fish are added.
Yes you can use the DT as coral and invert QT. You just have to wait 76 days after your last coral/invert addition before introducing your fish.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can use the DT as coral and invert QT. You just have to wait 76 days after your last coral/invert addition before introducing your fish.

thanks for the info! I was hopping it would only be 45 day but the 72 is the safest bet. I just might use the DT for the coral and CUC QT.
if I am using 2 tanks for the QT process. one for GC+focus for 14 days then CU treatment for 14 days then in to 2nd tank for prizipro for 14 days...then I do a WC to get the priz out then a wait until the 72 days are complete in the DT. is this time frime OK?

what % of WC on the prizipro tank to get it out? just dont want the fish setting in medicated tank for not reason. will it hurt them?
cheers

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info! I was hopping it would only be 45 day but the 72 is the safest bet. I just might use the DT for the coral and CUC QT.
if I am using 2 tanks for the QT process. one for GC+focus for 14 days then CU treatment for 14 days then in to 2nd tank for prizipro for 14 days...then I do a WC to get the priz out then a wait until the 72 days are complete in the DT. is this time frime OK?

what % of WC on the prizipro tank to get it out? just dont want the fish setting in medicated tank for not reason. will it hurt them?
cheers
GC contains Praziquantil so you may want to consider adding it to the water instead of using the focus. You can start adding it to the food if you see white stringy poo persist. This should clear internal parasites and flukes. Do a FW dip during the transfer after the copper treatment to check for flukes. If none show up, you can skip the prazipro treatment.
If you do use Prazipro, it breaks down in under a day so do 2 treatments around 7 days apart. I consider the water change to be optional.
Your time frame works well imo.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update.. i think TTM is to hard on sensitive inverts like a sea hare. small spike in the ammonia I think did him in. bummed. 80 days in a fallow tank i am thinking is really the only safe bet for inverts like that..

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC contains Praziquantil so you may want to consider adding it to the water instead of using the focus. You can start adding it to the food if you see white stringy poo persist. This should clear internal parasites and flukes. Do a FW dip during the transfer after the copper treatment to check for flukes. If none show up, you can skip the prazipro treatment.
If you do use Prazipro, it breaks down in under a day so do 2 treatments around 7 days apart. I consider the water change to be optional.
Your time frame works well imo.

so you are saying add GC to the water and just the focus to there food. for 14 days then start the 24 day copper treatment.
then FW dip between tank transfers then what to do in the 2nd tank? just watch?
sorry I am confused. :p

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp should be fine. They will find a place to hide while they harden up!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you are saying add GC to the water and just the focus to there food. for 14 days then start the 24 day copper treatment.
then FW dip between tank transfers then what to do in the 2nd tank? just watch?
sorry I am confused. :p
You would only need to add focus to food if you are adding meds to the food. Focus is just a gelatin binder that helps keep the meds attached to the food.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh OK :D

so can I do API GC + focus then CU then FW dip then GC in water?
You can do that.

I would do GC in the water for a few days and add GC+Focus if needed during that time. Then CU, the FW dip with transfer to clean QT. GC in the water won't always clear internal parasites, but it can, so the GC+Focus may not be needed at all. I've found that it is easier to get fish to eat with GC in the water than it is with GC+Focus.

With all that said, let me confuse the issue more!
There is no reason you can't have some copper in the water when you first receive the fish (around 30% of therapeutic) and do GC+Focus while in the copper. This is a nice way to do it if you suspect incoming fish will have velvet.

AMoskito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. When quarantining corals, do you have to reset the clock everytime anything new is added to the QT? Is it possible for free swimmers on new corals to "lay eggs" on corals that have already been in QT for a month? Also, is it possible for tormonts on new corals to "hatch" and lay "eggs" without a fish present?

AMoskito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any one have a resource for QT against coral pests? Or know what the longest time frame a coral pest egg takes to "hatch"?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back