CORRECT SALT IN MY NANO TANK?

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by Uscanga2311, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Uscanga2311

Uscanga2311 Member

hi R2R familiy:

im starting with a new nano tank (40G), and I can't decide which salt to use...
    I was thinking about using Coral PRO, but I saw that its alkalinity levels are 12. 2, it's a bit high, is not it? I know alkalinity should be around 7.8-8.3. Which option could I use to start my tank?

Crabs Mcjones likes this.

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have a 40 gallon as well. I've used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals from the start, and it's never given me an issue :)

Uscanga2311 likes this.
  3. Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30 Valuable Member

I use reef crystals also but... if I were going to or wanted to use Red Sea salt I would use the regular Red Sea salt in the blue bucket I think. It doesn’t mix as high.

Uscanga2311, JoshH and Crabs Mcjones like this.
  4. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

There’s no right or wrong salt. All can yield great tanks. I also think the range of alk is much wider than the OP suggests.

Uscanga2311 and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  5. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

If your not planning on dosing , or plan to do so later , and expect few to some stony corals Esp early on , a salt with slightly higer alk is a good thing IMO as you’ll be relying solely on the salt to to replace cal/alk.

A salt with an alk of 8 will deplete faster and with water changes alone my not keep up cal alk.
    A salt with an alk in the 11-12 range with a tank target of 8(ish) will be easier to keep up the cal/alk without dosing.

Personally I’d go with what’s affordable and easy to get, and not buy too much as you may want to change later as the tank needs and reefer wants evolve.

Uscanga2311 and Crabs Mcjones like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted