CORRECT SALT IN MY NANO TANK?

Uscanga2311

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2017
Messages
29
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi R2R familiy:

im starting with a new nano tank (40G), and I can't decide which salt to use...
I was thinking about using Coral PRO, but I saw that its alkalinity levels are 12. 2, it's a bit high, is not it? I know alkalinity should be around 7.8-8.3. Which option could I use to start my tank?
 
hi R2R familiy:

im starting with a new nano tank (40G), and I can't decide which salt to use...
I was thinking about using Coral PRO, but I saw that its alkalinity levels are 12. 2, it's a bit high, is not it? I know alkalinity should be around 7.8-8.3. Which option could I use to start my tank?
I have a 40 gallon as well. I've used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals from the start, and it's never given me an issue :)
 
There’s no right or wrong salt. All can yield great tanks. I also think the range of alk is much wider than the OP suggests.
 
If your not planning on dosing , or plan to do so later , and expect few to some stony corals Esp early on , a salt with slightly higer alk is a good thing IMO as you’ll be relying solely on the salt to to replace cal/alk.

A salt with an alk of 8 will deplete faster and with water changes alone my not keep up cal alk.
A salt with an alk in the 11-12 range with a tank target of 8(ish) will be easier to keep up the cal/alk without dosing.

Personally I’d go with what’s affordable and easy to get, and not buy too much as you may want to change later as the tank needs and reefer wants evolve.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new