Current Quarantine Protocol

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal , Need some advice, doing week 3 of prazi at the tail end of the qt process. Looked in the water this morning and it looks like I have a bacterial bloom going on. Should I wait it out? Move them since qt is almost done?

Limited options on the qt tank, I don't have a spare skimmer or UV.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
@Jay Hemdal , Need some advice, doing week 3 of prazi at the tail end of the qt process. Looked in the water this morning and it looks like I have a bacterial bloom going on. Should I wait it out? Move them since qt is almost done?

Why not do a water change with the prazi dosed correctly in the new water?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When was the last dose of prazi added to the tank? Are you using powdered praziquantel, or liquid prazipro? The latter causes more bacterial blooms because of the glycol solvent it uses, it is like carbon dosing.

Always aerate tanks well during prazi treatments.

If the last prazi dose was more than 3 days ago, it has decomposed by now, so you would be safe to do water changes to clear up the cloudy water. Double check your ammonia level to ensure it didn't spike.

Jay

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last dose of prazi added to the tank? Are you using powdered praziquantel, or liquid prazipro? The latter causes more bacterial blooms because of the glycol solvent it uses, it is like carbon dosing.

Always aerate tanks well during prazi treatments.

If the last prazi dose was more than 3 days ago, it has decomposed by now, so you would be safe to do water changes to clear up the cloudy water. Double check your ammonia level to ensure it didn't spike.

Jay

Liquid prazipro. Last dose was around 24 hrs ago.

Aeration is very strong using an old pond aerator, split off.

Ammonia levels not registering. Badge still yellow and salifert test was too low to register.

Do I wait another 2 days for the prazi to break down or do a water change?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liquid prazipro. Last dose was around 24 hrs ago.

Aeration is very strong using an old pond aerator, split off.

Ammonia levels not registering. Badge still yellow and salifert test was too low to register.

Do I wait another 2 days for the prazi to break down or do a water change?
If the fish aren’t gasping, I would wait another 24 hours and then do a partial water change. If the fish look bad or aren’t eating, do the change now.
Jay

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish aren’t gasping, I would wait another 24 hours and then do a partial water change. If the fish look bad or aren’t eating, do the change now.
Jay
Fish were gasping, but still eating and acted otherwise normal. Cloudiness was just getting progressively worse. Executed a 50% water change as that's all the saltwater I have on hand. Breathing looks like it has returned to normal.

Should I do another 50% in an hour when I make more?

What should I do in terms of the treatment plan?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish were gasping, but still eating and acted otherwise normal. Cloudiness was just getting progressively worse. Executed a 50% water change as that's all the saltwater I have on hand. Breathing looks like it has returned to normal.

Should I do another 50% in an hour when I make more?

What should I do in terms of the treatment plan?
There may well be something else going on - slight cloudiness is one thing, but this is more severe.
Properly done, other than the cost involved, there is no risk to doing more of a water change.
Do you have a reading for pH and ammonia?
The tank is white cloudy, not brown or green, right?
Jay

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may well be something else going on - slight cloudiness is one thing, but this is more severe.
Properly done, other than the cost involved, there is no risk to doing more of a water change.
Do you have a reading for pH and ammonia?
The tank is white cloudy, not brown or green, right?
Jay
It's a brownish tint. Ammonia still no reading. PH (only have crappy api test) read 7.8-8.0

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a brownish tint. Ammonia still no reading. PH (only have crappy api test) read 7.8-8.0
Could it be an algae bloom?
Heterotrophic bacteria blooms look white cloudy to me.
Do you think it would show up in a photograph?
Jay

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not save enough quantity to take a picture of the brown water.

I did however find a bit left in the bottom of the bucket and it looks greenish under the microscope. Having a tough time getting a good picture though.

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,jay this protocol effective for internal problems? I took the first two steps, but I hope to solve internal problems in the QT What do I need to do? What products do you need?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,jay this protocol effective for internal problems? I took the first two steps, but I hope to solve internal problems in the QT What do I need to do? What products do you need?
Depends on the internal problem. Praziquantel hells with tapeworm. Metronidazole helps with internal protozoans.
Most internal treatments require a carefully measured medicated food. We have some files in the sticky post section where this thread is that describe that.
Jay

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the internal problem. Praziquantel hells with tapeworm. Metronidazole helps with internal protozoans.
Most internal treatments require a carefully measured medicated food. We have some files in the sticky post section where this thread is that describe that.
Jay
Thank you for your answer. After completing the current Qt protocol observation before finding new problems, you can put the fish into DT, right? Prazipro can also solve some internal parasites, right?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your answer. After completing the current Qt protocol observation before finding new problems, you can put the fish into DT, right? Prazipro can also solve some internal parasites, right?
Well, yes, if you follow the protocol carefully and then wait at least two weeks and the fish look good, you can consider the quarantine completed.
Remember though that no quarantine is 100% effective. If any of the new fish show symptoms or problems, don’t release them.
Jay

xxxenmsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yes, if you follow the protocol carefully and then wait at least two weeks and the fish look good, you can consider the quarantine completed.
Remember though that no quarantine is 100% effective. If any of the new fish show symptoms or problems, don’t release them.
Jay
Ok I'll do that Thanks for your answer! Is it necessary to do two metroplexes after a prazipro course?
Is this my fish better? (better prevention of internal problems)

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll do that Thanks for your answer! Is it necessary to do two metroplexes after a prazipro course?
Is this my fish better? (better prevention of internal problems)
Yes, I would dose metroplex two or three times. I think the timing is on the back of the package.
Jay

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My issue with that product is that they chose to use a 2% metro dose. While there certainly are references for that high of a dose, it's been my experience that many fish won't eat it because it is so bitter.

I think a 1% dose would be more palatable, and still be effective.

Jay

Yii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only buy (CUPRAMINE+SALIFERT CU TEST), can I do a copper session with this stuff? Will this work?:pleading-face:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back