current usa??

bangoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know whats going on with current usa?? I was trying to buy sunpod light for solana and found out that all there lights are pretty much discontinued. Thanks

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are talking about this comment:
Current USA is going thru some stuff now. Either a bankruptcy or a a merger. I've heard both rumours. They've discontinued several of their product lines and replacement and warranty service is difficult to obtain from them now, per some LFS owners I know. I decided to get the PowerBrites while the getting was still good.

I found another product that looks similar here:

Finnex 23" LED Moon Light 9 x 1W Coral Fluorescent Blue with Dimmer - AquaCave

It is longer at 23", with 9 leds, but looks similar to the PowerBrites in intensity. Also has a dimming feature, so it can be used as a moonlite or a shimmer effect led like the PBs.
Dave

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There hasn't been any official statement that I have heard about Current USA, but for the past couple months there have been crazy sales on tons of Current USA products on a lot on internet retailer sites. Then there are discontinued product lines. Then there's the difficulty in obtaining replacement parts and warranty service I mentioned, which is strange because Current USA has had really good customer service in the past. Besides the Power Brites, I have purchased two Current USA halide fixtures and a chiller over the last couple years.

So to sum up the rumours: 1. straight bankruptcy 2. reorganization bankruptcy 3. Merger with another company with a new line of moderately priced LED reef fixtures coming out (that's the best one!).
Dave

rendos

WTMRAC's Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problems getting customer service and parts from Current USA. They are reorganizing...doing away with products that did not sell well for them and selling more of the items that do sell well. I buy from them on a weekly basis. Don't believe the rumors, unless you hear them directly from Ike or Ted.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are able to buy directly. Here in the Southeast, LFS buy thru Distributors.

evilc66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like rendos said, they are not going out of business. They are refocusing a lot of their efforts on their T5 line (the only Current USA products that will survive), and their spinoff company Ecoxotic, with the LEDs. I'm not happy about it, as the Sunpod, Outer Orbit, and Satellite fixtures were great for the money.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back