Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

So far I noticed 3 Fish with small signs of ich

1 kole tang
1 Anthia

1 x wrasse (by far the worst infected)

Polyp lab medic hasn't damaged any corals yet. The protozoa has fallen of the kole tang. Hopefully the free swimming [emoji474] ich die before they reattach.

Now the weirdest thing is i was going to catch the wrasse yesterday and treat seperatly. But when I woke up he was already in the sump of my tank, I though he already died when he was missing from the dt and went to check my dosing containers, he was eating all the pods in my sump. It's like Santa broke in and caught it for me to save me breaking my scape. Or he somehow got over the overflow box. I like to this its Santa :)

Nice one Santa [emoji318]

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to my nightmare week I have possibly nuked my tank.

I came home yesterday to find all my corals closed and some expelling their insides. I first thought it was the polyp lab medic.

Until I put my hand in the tank and realised the temperature was through the roof.

So not only am I battling ich I also have a heater problem.

I fixed the heater issue and today I have looked at the tank and the water is very cloudy.

Probably some die off, so far no fish are dead.

Hopefully most of my corals pull through. It seems sps are OK. Lps are the ones stuggling.
Will do a 30% water change each day to help with any param swings whilst everything stablizes

f0ed1984d40e4cf72b896a387ce4306b.jpg
2de4e35ebbe9f1fd4677938a34470fcc.jpg
9bf7628e6cc343afdaedccb5ca7a8d27.jpg

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This months update,

After my issue with Ich and Brown Jelly, i manage to save all corals, even the wall hammer which i'm very happy about with my new technique.

as all the fish are out of my tank and i dont have the cash for a full upgrade yet i decided to just do a rescape, i bought some Real Reef Rock for a cheap, although it came with some shelves and im not a fan of those types of scape i thought i would give them a try, if it doesnt work i can break them up and use for frag plugs over the next 10 years.

So this week i have removed all rokc from my tank, the fish are in my nano, i will

1. move all corals into the sump and maybe another container if its not quiet big enough
  2. Drain my main display and empty all sand etc, leave it to dry for a day
  3. Rescape
  4. Refill
  5. Quick cycle with Sachem stability
  6. Seneye can monitor for a week or so
  7. Add corals Back in
  8. Leave for a 4-6 weeks
  9. Add fish back in over 2-6 weeks
Fingers crossed i come out on top as this is a whole lot of changes to make

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This months update

Fingers crossed i come out on top as this is a whole lot of changes to make

Mistakes aside, it looks like you did a great job saving the tank from boiling and it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing to treat the fish. I came to compliment the tank build (which is gorgeous), but you've got your husbandry down pat. :)

Also, props for another balling system user! By far the best method for stable and continuous coral growth. That millie exploded on you!

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistakes aside, it looks like you did a great job saving the tank from boiling and it sounds like you know exactly what you're doing to treat the fish. I came to compliment the tank build (which is gorgeous), but you've got your husbandry down pat. :)

Also, props for another balling system user! By far the best method for stable and continuous coral growth. That millie exploded on you!

Thanks, its taken so many mistakes that although im no expert im certainly comfortable now making informed changes knowing exactly the risks im taking doing it but also the reward if it goes correct. i no doubt will have some other pest at some point but im hoping it will be limited and rare occurrence unlike now where im constantly battling something.

It amazes me how i even bothered with any other system after finding the balling method, aquaforest balling is amazing due to something as simple as equal parts, because of this i spotted issues with my dosing pump not calibrated properly and containters were emptying slighty quicker than others. With the red sea system i used to use i never would of found that out. Just gets to show the simple methods are the best, well in my eyes they are!

Im yet to find anything easier then balling + refugium, i may try and experiment in the future with balling + refugium 12 hours + algae scrubber 12 hours.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, its taken so many mistakes that although im no expert im certainly comfortable now making informed changes knowing exactly the risks im taking doing it but also the reward if it goes correct. i no doubt will have some other pest at some point but im hoping it will be limited and rare occurrence unlike now where im constantly battling something.

It amazes me how i even bothered with any other system after finding the balling method, aquaforest balling is amazing due to something as simple as equal parts, because of this i spotted issues with my dosing pump not calibrated properly and containters were emptying slighty quicker than others. With the red sea system i used to use i never would of found that out. Just gets to show the simple methods are the best, well in my eyes they are!

Im yet to find anything easier then balling + refugium, i may try and experiment in the future with balling + refugium 12 hours + algae scrubber 12 hours.
Calcium reactor + refugium is probably a little easier. Since you are dissolving corals in the reactor it takes care of most of your trace elements, also. I haven't gone that route yet, but I'm sure I will get there in a few years when my Alk/Calc demand increases substantially more.

Good luck with your recovery!

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not a big fuge person as they can be tricky to keep clean, but I really wish I had the pH stabilizing effects of running one opposite of my light cycle. I may experiment with dosing sodium hydroxide for alkalinity at night to stabilize instead.

OP
OP
scottrotton

scottrotton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a big fuge person as they can be tricky to keep clean, but I really wish I had the pH stabilizing effects of running one opposite of my light cycle. I may experiment with dosing sodium hydroxide for alkalinity at night to stabilize instead.
What do you prefer?

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you prefer?

I've been running (and advising friends to run) sumps with no fuge for a while, but some of them have smartly decided to keep a fuge chamber with just macro algae in it for easy cleaning and siphoning. If you run filter socks before the fuge chamber, you'd be in even better shape.

If you meant sodium hydroxide vs. sodium carbonate (which is what I currently use), hydroxide would have a more immediate effect on increasing the pH than the carbonate and to a greater level. If I switch to it, I'm going to have to do some chemistry to figure out just how much more I'd need to use and probably increase the time over which I add it to the tank to minimize the size of positive swings in pH. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back