Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190102_163607077.jpg
IMG_20190102_163603407.jpg
so there's the mock up of the straps. then I cut 3inch strips to go between them kinda like euro bracing. And the back corner just has to be cut to a triangle. Hopefully glue it up Friday.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190102_163607077.jpg
IMG_20190102_163603407.jpg
so there's the mock up of the straps. then I cut 3inch strips to go between them kinda like euro bracing. And the back corner just has to be cut to a triangle. Hopefully glue it up Friday.

That looks like it'll work!

Are you gluing this thing solo?

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I have 6inch straps on the right and a 5in 4in and 6in on the left. And no I have a guy I work with giving me a hand. Thank God I'd never be able to handle this myself.

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about building tanks, so I dont have an answer myself. I would say that is also suitable by the look of it. +1 on the triangle in the back.

Have you thought about euro bracing it? With a strap(cleat) in the middle of both sides?

On a side note, can acrylic be euro braced like glass rimless tanks?

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know much about building tanks, so I dont have an answer myself. I would say that is also suitable by the look of it. +1 on the triangle in the back.

Have you thought about euro bracing it? With a strap(cleat) in the middle of both sides?

On a side note, can acrylic be euro braced like glass rimless tanks?
From what I understand euro braced is just a rim around the tank no straps. So I'll be doing a hybrid I guess I'll be doing the straps and pieces between them. I've seen alot of acrylic tanks euro braced but they were square and it's one solid piece with openings cut into it. But I think the way I'm doing it will be pretty much the same thing the way the glue should hold.

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picture what you are saying. That will look cleaner as well.

do u have all the equipment for the tank yet? You had a year to stock up [emoji1787] so much drama to get this far. U have a lot of patience!!! And that is a good thing in this hobby to have.

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picture what you are saying. That will look cleaner as well.

do u have all the equipment for the tank yet? You had a year to stock up [emoji1787] so much drama to get this far. U have a lot of patience!!! And that is a good thing in this hobby to have.
I pretty much have everything except a doser. I plan on running the Triton method. I have alot of the equipment from my other tanks lighting and power heads I'm sure I'll have to get stronger ones eventually tho. still looking at an Apex too I have a reef keeper to hold me over but you can do so much more with an Apex. I bought a larger pump of course a reeflo hammerhead/barracuda. I have my over flows, bulkheads, nozels and I believe most of my plumbing parts I'll need. I'm sure missed something tho.

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest of the bracing is glued up. I have the corners cleaned up as best as I can I just need to hit them with the novus polish.( But waiting on the buffing heads) I think I might ditch the idea of pouring the corners I have no way to tip and brace this thing. It'll take forever. I'll buff it up this week and let the glue cure fully then water test it next week and hopefully be bringing it home after that. Then the real fun begins.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no idea it's been more than a year in the making. But I guess everything happens for a reason. If I rushed I would have never had the chance to refinish the room it would be going in.

Same here. If you check my build, you will see I had to refinish the entire room including fixing drywall and texture on the ceiling. Long journey, but well worth it. I just finished filling up mine. Gonna let it run two days and put in the salt. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back