OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Job
After the water test you should wait 2 to 3 weeks before filling. Acrylic will absorb water for a long time.
And to Quote Mr Floyd R Turbo
You can leak-test fill in about 72 hours. As far as filling for use, this is when you would want to wait 2 weeks; that's for 1/4" material. For every 1/8" thickness you add, add a week. So 3/8" = 3 weeks, 1/2" = 4 weeks, etc. I might be a week off there though, will have to check my notes.

The reason is that softened acrylic adsorbs water faster than the acrylic panels, and this can cause additional expansion of the joints and possibly also discoloration (whitening) but most importantly, it takes strength away from the joints.
Hmm that I did not know. Thank you for the info. By the time I plumb it and what not it'll probably be a few weeks.

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITS HOME!!!!
IMG_20190209_133157205.jpg
IMG_20190209_133146902.jpg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build!! Read through the whole thread, and honestly I'm impressed you stuck with it after 2yrs.

Great to see some people from NEPA on here

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build!! Read through the whole thread, and honestly I'm impressed you stuck with it after 2yrs.

Great to see some people from NEPA on here
Yea it's been a long trip so far and I'm sure I'm not over the hill just yet.

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next fun part is plumbing it in. which I'm not 100% sure on how I want to go yet if any ones got some pointers or easy ways to go about it. I was thinking for the return to come up in the back corner and split it. Then tee off at each return up with the gate valve low enough to be able to reach it from underneath. As far as the drains I'm scratching my head.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post a pic of the holes you have drilled for the drain if you have them.

If you haven't drilled them yet, get a fijicube or similar overflow and use their template and plumbing instructions.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next fun part is plumbing it in. which I'm not 100% sure on how I want to go yet if any ones got some pointers or easy ways to go about it. I was thinking for the return to come up in the back corner and split it. Then tee off at each return up with the gate valve low enough to be able to reach it from underneath. As far as the drains I'm scratching my head.

Where is your sump going to be?

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm
post a pic of the holes you have drilled for the drain if you have them.

If you haven't drilled them yet, get a fijicube or similar overflow and use their template and plumbing instructions.
I'm already drilled for an eshoppes eclipse overflow. I just don't know what to plumb the over flows for I think they can accommodate a durso or Herbie style drain.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the basement.

I would think about doing a manifold style return. Where all the gate valve are next to one another. This way your not walking around the tank and reaching around corners to adjust flow (mainly because if you adjust one, you may have to adjust others). If the plumbing is coming up through the floor it could be below the tank. If the plumbing is coming up inside the wall, well I'm not sure where I would put it then

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome build... can’t wait to see how you rock-scape it!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back