OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to find that just right place for the second drain too. I believe I read somewhere exactly how much higher it should be. What I found worked best is adjust the gate valve for just a trickle to go down the second. Mine is now silent (for the most part). Took some time to adjust though. I was surprised how much I actually turned the drain down.
I still have to mess around with it but I think I set my second drain 3/4 " below the emergency and 1-1/4" above the main drain. But my secondary is about 3/4 out of the water and my mains stay under. I checked my sump I'm not really getting any bubbles out of the pipes. I think alot of the noise is coming from the water dropping through the weir into the overflow.

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190327_210604593.jpg
got it drained back down just need to glue in a lip to hold the sand bed back. im hoping to get everything swapped this weekend but well see. I dont think thats gonna be enough water lol.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190327_210604593.jpg
got it drained back down just need to glue in a lip to hold the sand bed back. im hoping to get everything swapped this weekend but well see. I dont think thats gonna be enough water lol.
WOW ..
You could have bought a Commercial ro/di System for the cost of all that water ...... But i guess the water gives you Instant gratification .

LOOOKING GOOD .. Sill waiting to see your Swimmie swimmers , swimming Swimmingly in that swimmerly swimmie swimmer swimming Tank..

Thank you for sharing

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW ..
You could have bought a Commercial ro/di System for the cost of all that water ...... But i guess the water gives you Instant gratification .

LOOOKING GOOD .. Sill waiting to see your Swimmie swimmers , swimming Swimmingly in that swimmerly swimmie swimmer swimming Tank..

Thank you for sharing
Yea it expensive but I've started using it for about half of my water change just to get some biodiversity in there. I've noticed a big difference in coloring and all around tank health. I'm gonna do about 1/3 of the nutrisea and 2/3 just mixed rodi salt. My lfs does a buy 10 buckets of salt get one free and guess who's on there 10th bucket. So I'll have like 300 gallons of coral pro water with the 150 gallons of nutrisea.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15534459159366433097763843843476.jpg
the drains are still pretty noisy is the secondary drain supposed to be under water also? I couldn't find a good answer. If I adjust the gate valve more it's starts gulping and draining the overflow.

I believe the secondary drain should run just like a durso drain. The water should come up about halfway up the elbow. From the looks of it the air hole drilled in the elbows are on the smaller side of things.

As far as the noise coming from the overflow, you may need to raise the drains up in order to raise the water level and reduce the splashing.

But this thing is looking awesome!! Can't wait to see some life in there!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, getting close now! Are you planning to put anything on the back of the tank to hide all of the pipes? That’s a crazy amount of plumbing, it’s almost too cool to hide...lol

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice with my over flow that the noise was bad if the powerheads aimed flow directly at the weir. Strange, but it was loud. If they are adjusted right, no issues. I do not think that is your issue though since you probably did not have powerheads running at the time.

OP
OP
Johnson

Johnson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice with my over flow that the noise was bad if the powerheads aimed flow directly at the weir. Strange, but it was loud. If they are adjusted right, no issues. I do not think that is your issue though since you probably did not have powerheads running at the time.
Yea I saw that too when I had the returns pointed at them when I was blowing off the bubbles. Maybe I have to much flow and it's just rushing water. The sound of the water doesn't bother me much it's just the noise of pumps and motors buzzing that gets to ya.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I saw that too when I had the returns pointed at them when I was blowing off the bubbles. Maybe I have to much flow and it's just rushing water. The sound of the water doesn't bother me much it's just the noise of pumps and motors buzzing that gets to ya.

I have the same overflow. I raised the red emergency of out of the socket a bit. It will raise the water level in the o.f. then limit the noise. Mine is silent nomater how the water enters. It took me a while to mess with it but it's awesome now

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have this overflow but I had one that made tons of noise the secondary pipe has to be above the bulkhead or a cm below it so the the water isn’t cascading down

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back