Cyano and Dyano Algae

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , Had an outbreak of Cyano / Dyano and it killed a few of my corals.Being a new reefer it was difficult for me but finally figured out. I am sharing this just in case its helpful for another new bee. 250G system (Display tank 1 - 150G, Display tank 2 - 50G - Sump - 36 and refugium - 29G).

Begining Phosphates - .52

Already had a GFO reactor going on
Weekly 10% water change - irrespective of phosphates issues.

To control the situation :

Added Phos Guard
Increased the water flow in refugium by adding a cheap wavemaker
Changed the filter sock

Observation :
1) after 4 days i removed the phos guard and phosphates were down to .09
2) Macroalgae is growing leaps and bound (more than before).

Algae is significantly down in the display tanks.

Next step :
Holding onto adding chemicure etc as my last resort
continue with husbandry
CHange GFO media (its been almost 4-5 weeks)

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found the source of all of your PO4? That needs to be part of the solution as well.
Any negative effects from dropping .43 PO4 in only 4 days? IMO that's a big drop in a small time frame.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T-J good question in fact an insightful one. So I am a newbie and here Is the mistakes I did :

"Believing that you can have a no water change, no maintenance, no GFO, No refugium, no-nothing reef tank on day 0 with thriving SPS"

Well, this lets the minor accidents (fish dying) into the major manifestations of an algae outbreak. Knowing what I know now, I started very well but learned on the job and also guilty that my first few pets had to suffer through my "innocence".

Cons: One observation I do have is that something my Anenome is not liking, even though it been not keeping well for the past few weeks (since my po4 have been between .5 - .46 during this time so I would doubt it has anything to with the po4 drop)

Pros : The tank has never been cleaner, Even though the drop is only 6 days I can see some of the presumed dead corals are coming back and showing up.

laxman05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a good course of action. I had it years back and knocked Dino’s out doing 2x blackouts. 1st blackout cleared it At least I thought it did. Noticed a bit coming back and did another full blackout and have not had it since. It was sad seeing dinos clinging on to My Acros.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Laxman. Yes, It's doing good. Another key thing that worked for me was increasing the flow in my refugium. So far so good but will keep the group posted.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@laxman you are right but in my case I let it cycle pretty well and didn’t rush (took good 8 weeks) and so my assumption is silicates should have depleted by now. Now I am curious is there another way silicates get introduced ? (I use strictly rodi water , my ro ppm is always 0 and weekly water change of 15%).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back