Cycling thoughts

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been a week since I started cycling my tank with Dr. Tim’s and the nitrite levels have been off the charts since the second day (meaning that the levels were unreadable on the chart since they were so high) two days ago I raised the ammonia to 1 ppm just to feed the bacteria and left it there since then (didn’t do no testing since then).
The nitrites were still off the charts when I did that so today I decided to do a 20% water change just to lower the nitrites a tad bit, but I never measured my parameters before that.. just kinda assumed that they would be high. I changed the water and let the tank run for about 30 mins before doing any testing.

These are my parameters after testing:
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0 - 0.25 ppm (API Test kit)
NITRITE: 0.25ppm!!!!!!!!
Nitrate: 40-80ppm

The nitrites had gone down a ton (5+ to 0.25ppm). I don’t believe that a 18-20% WC would have brought the levels down that much, so do you guys think that it possible went down on its own in those two days?? Is the tank almost cycled? Gonna dose another 2ppm ammonia to see if the levels drop within 24 hours.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to test your cycle using the most updated science, change all your water

This exports all added bacteria and leaves only adhered bacteria on the sand and rocks

Then do an ammonia test at very low level, say half a ppm or so. No need to dose to 2 ppm, any movement is cycled. The dosers are designed to speed up bac, so test how quick they adhere. The nitrite reading doesn’t factor, if you can demo ammonia movement after a full water change you have met the definition of a closed cycle. A closed cycle cannot be undone with any degree of water changes.

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to test your cycle using the most updated science, change all your water

This exports all added bacteria and leaves only adhered bacteria on the sand and rocks

Then do an ammonia test at very low level, say half a ppm or so. No need to dose to 2 ppm, any movement is cycled. The dosers are designed to speed up bac, so test how quick they adhere. The nitrite reading doesn’t factor, if you can demo ammonia movement after a full water change you have met the definition of a closed cycle. A closed cycle cannot be undone with any degree of water changes.
Will considered this!

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will considered this!

also this is very informing thank you! So the nitrites don’t matter as much as the ammonia does? Been converting 2ppm of ammonia within a day with ease.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not harmful even when undeveloped which is why they’re not factored nowadays. Ammonia burns animals that must excrete it so it’s the one we track, and when no amount of water change alters ammonia ability we know it’s stand alone ready

Testing accuracy ranges as well, one less misread to concern

Hey if you do that water change trick I would post your thread on a very large cycling thread, we collect those kinds of predictions v outcomes

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not harmful even when undeveloped which is why they’re not factored nowadays. Ammonia burns animals that must excrete it so it’s the one we track, and when no amount of water change alters ammonia ability we know it’s stand alone ready

Testing accuracy ranges as well, one less misread to concern

Hey if you do that water change trick I would post your thread on a very large cycling thread, we collect those kinds of predictions v outcomes

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water change didn’t affect my ammonia at all, levels kept going down within 24 hours, when adding ammonia, every time. Stand alone ready?

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zachary S. You started another thread about this? The information Brandon is speaking is in the thread that i linked to in the other thread u started about this. GL

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after dosing 1ppm ammonia:

Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: .50ppm
Nitrate: 80 ppm

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just a quick update:

PH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 80ppm

I put in 1ppm ammonia in two days ago, and looked at my results yesterday and the ammonia was at 0ppm and the nitrite was at .25ppm so I gave it another day and it’s reading 0ppm ammonia and nitrites. I suppose the cycle is super close to being done? Yes or no? I’m gonna put in another 1 ppm ammonia to see the result for tomorrow. If they read 0, then is the tank cycled?

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am day 40+ dry everything cycled with shrimp and bacteria. I have now changed out 90% in two water changes been through diatoms and now some green algae is on a few rocks I’d still count on 30 + days Mother Nature

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am day 40+ dry everything cycled with shrimp and bacteria. I have now changed out 90% in two water changes been through diatoms and now some green algae is on a few rocks I’d still count on 30 + days Mother Nature
I added dr tims one and only to speed things up. Tank has been up and running for a month and half. Messed up initially so I restarted.

Back