Cylce help

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't really know where to put this. Sorry if in wrong spot.

I started cycling my tank 3 days ago. I used 3 32 Oz bottles of fritz zyme 9 (needed at least 2.5 bottles but just dumped all 3) and Dr tims bottled ammonia.

The bottle recommended me to use 4 drops a gallon. It also said 100 drops is equal to 5ml and I have 100 gallons 90 plus sump. I put in 20 ml of ammonia and started the cycle. No idea if I did that math wrong. I dont think I did it wrong though

When testing after introduction, I got a reading of 6.1 or more. As the test maxed out at 6.1 (fluval test kit) and 3 days later, I'm getting nitrite readings and nitrate readings but I'm still at 6.1 or more for ammonia. Have I overdosed and stalled? Or is it going to read high ammonia for a few weeks? I had the test kit checked and only the PH test was wonky. Everything else seemed to work when cross examined with another test.

No livestock in tank, only bacteria. Any info would help. Thank you. The pictures I prove will go order of: ammonia-nitrite-nitrate

20220413_094953.jpg 20220413_094923.jpg 20220413_095012.jpg

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The math looks good to me. I wonder why your ammonia is so high if you dosed the bacteria? Can you pick up the seachem ammonia alert badge (it’s cheap, readily available, and more accurate).

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the cycle is well on it’s way! There’s always the possibility that either their math was off or your math was off when calculating concentration/Volume resulting in a little big extra ammonia being added. But that won’t hurt anything.

and three days into a cycle I’m surprised you even registered nitrite/nitrates but i suppose if you use tons of bottled bacteria you’d get fast results.

anyways long story short, it’s cycling as normal! It’s not unusual for new tank set ups to take weeks for the ammonia to fully disappear! So go slow, and most importantly be patient! If I’ve learned anything from this hobby is that all good things take time! Sometimes weeks to months

and welcome to reefing!

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The math looks good to me. I wonder why your ammonia is so high if you dosed the bacteria? Can you pick up the seachem ammonia alert badge (it’s cheap, readily available, and more accurate).
Seachem alert badge.. yeah I'll look into it. Just find it weird that 2 test kits got the same answer

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why, but that bottled ammonia is very very easy to over-dose.

Most people that dose it per the directions, end up over-dosing it.

Next time, try dosing only half the amount and then test, before adding any more.

Too much ammonia can slow the cycle too.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why, but that bottled ammonia is very very easy to over-dose.

Most people that dose it per the directions, end up over-dosing it.

Next time, try dosing only half the amount and then test, before adding any more.

Too much ammonia can slow the cycle too.
Should I be concerned? Or just let it sit?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned? Or just let it sit?
Let it sit. No need for concern. The bacteria will repopulate to consume that extra ammonia. Consider your bio filter to be stronger once ammonia goes down to 0.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerned, NO. it just might take longer to cycle having that much ammonia.

a little ammonia is good when cycling, but too much can slow the process.
typically 2 ppm ammonia is recommended. Any higher than that can slow the process... you have 3 times the recommended level, so yes, it will probably slow your cycle down. is that a concern for you? if yes, then you can do a water change to remove some of the ammonia. If it's not a concern, just let it it be. It will eventually cycle no mater what.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerned, NO. it just might take longer to cycle having that much ammonia.

a little ammonia is good when cycling, but too much can slow the process.
typically 2 ppm ammonia is recommended. Any higher than that can slow the process... you have 3 times the recommended level, so yes, it will probably slow your cycle down. is that a concern for you? if yes, then you can do a water change to remove some of the ammonia. If it's not a concern, just let it it be. It will eventually cycle no mater what.
How long do you think it'll take? I'd like to not wait more than a month. A water change won't hurt my bacteria? If not I'd rather do that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

Back