Dampen Vibrations in PVC

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost have my 180 up and running 100%, but I am having a battle that I just keep losing. I bought this system pre-owned and the previous owner bought it off of someone a few months before I got and let it sit. So they have no experience with it.

I have the bean animal overflow running and I think I have it pretty close to being good, but the pump I just bought (Sicce SDC 7.0) has a vibration frequency that is powerful enough that it is traveling with the plumbing into the display and then the display is magnifying it.

Anyone advice on how to dampen those vibrations. I do traveling the sump on egg crate already too.

Thanks in advance.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put a silicone pad - like they use under hot pots - beneath the pump? Those are typically BPA free and it should hold it in place without being too thick. It can also stand the heat from the pump without disintegrating.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with CMMorgan as one step, but you can also add a short length of a silicone pipe of same diameter to isolate pump from hard plumbing. The image is for an external pump connecting from the sump to a skimmer but the idea is the same.
IMG_1152.jpg

miran2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Bruce60 but you could also use flexible pvc (sometimes called spaflex) that can be glued into slip fittings to avoid using clamps/barb fittings. The flex pvc could be a little stiffer than tygon or silicone.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with CMMorgan as one step, but you can also add a short length of a silicone pipe of same diameter to isolate pump from hard plumbing. The image is for an external pump connecting from the sump to a skimmer but the idea is the same.
IMG_1152.jpg

+1, I always try to keep 8+” of silicone tubing to isolate my pumps from the hard pipes. Silicone drying mats work fantastic under the pumps as well :)

Don’t forget to use plastic clips so they don’t rust as show in the image above!

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I keep the pipe standing if I use flex pvc or tubing?

miran2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell from photo. Is your return line the pvc pipe on the right? If so just replace any of those sections with flex pvc or silcone/tygon tubing to eliminate a hard path to the display tank glass. You could get rid of that 45 and just use the tubing to make the bend which is probably better for the flow as well.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the Sicce SDC 7.0 pump. I do see 4 white bumpers on the base of the pump, are those soft enough to real dampen any vibrations?
I have a Eheim 1262 as my return pump, I've strung silicone air-line hose from side to side on the front & back of the pump. The silicone air-line is fairly supple and absorbes vibrations well in my experence.

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell from photo. Is your return line the pvc pipe on the right? If so just replace any of those sections with flex pvc or silcone/tygon tubing to eliminate a hard path to the display tank glass. You could get rid of that 45 and just use the tubing to make the bend which is probably better for the flow as well.
If I did that wouldn't the line going up collapse? I don't have the tank drilled for the return. I have to loop the pvc over the top and back in the tank.

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the Sicce SDC 7.0 pump. I do see 4 white bumpers on the base of the pump, are those soft enough to real dampen any vibrations?
I have a Eheim 1262 as my return pump, I've strung silicone air-line hose from side to side on the front & back of the pump. The silicone air-line is fairly supple and absorbes vibrations well in my experence.
Do you have a picture to explain what you are saying?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dcoar I highly recommend flex PVC for something like this. It works just like PVC so you can glue it in place to your hard PVC pipes. As a suggestion, consider putting the flex PVC on the output of the pump and connect to your hard PVC using a union fitting. That way it's really easy to take out your pump.

Here is a link to the FlexPVC that I used

It's nice because you can purchase it by the foot.

Good luck!

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's two photo's of the "green" silicone air-line attached to the Eheim return pump. Hope this helps..

Attachments

• 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 0-1.jpeg
    0-1.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 74

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of Silicone hose on the return along with a pad under the pump is your best bet to start with.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air-line was lying around, its soft, pliable, easily changed out if needed, and works for me.
The 4 pads on the Sicce SDC 7.0 pump may work just fine. The pump may simply need to be isolated from the hard plumbing as suggested by someone else with tubing.
Thanks & take care all......

jc75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with the sicce 7.0. I do have silicone pad and soft tube from pump to the hard plumbing. The sound does seem to be from the vibration from the flow and not the pump itself. I was actually going to try to use the 1 inch hard pvc plumb (fittings come with pump) directly out of the pump and reduce later instead of the 3/4 I’m using now to see if the less restriction helps. Had the first pump exchanged because I thought it was a pump issue. Second one is the same. I’m not sure what else to do either. DCoarM have you figured it out?

OP
OP
DcoarM

DcoarM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with the sicce 7.0. I do have silicone pad and soft tube from pump to the hard plumbing. The sound does seem to be from the vibration from the flow and not the pump itself. I was actually going to try to use the 1 inch hard pvc plumb (fittings come with pump) directly out of the pump and reduce later instead of the 3/4 I’m using now to see if the less restriction helps. Had the first pump exchanged because I thought it was a pump issue. Second one is the same. I’m not sure what else to do either. DCoarM have you figured it out?
I went to Home Depot and bought some pipe insulation and laid under the pvc so it isn't touching the tank. The tank was working like a speaker and magnifying the vibrations. Silent now.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "green" silicone airline attached to the Eheim return pump is still holding up. The same airline haven't changed it yet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back