OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they sell U shaped return jets that u can hang over the glass and/or use modular loc line to aim where ever u want. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/plumbing/loc-line.html

Nice job with the sump build and plumbing... one concern I have is how tall the sump is in the cabinet w little room to reach inside sump for maintenance, is there enough room to remove skimmer when its time for cleaning?
I definitely agree with you on the sump height. Dude I got the whole setup from made it from a aqueon 29 gallon. I thought and still think it's way too tall. Guy who had it, had the sump right in the middle of the stand which didn't lend much usable space. I needed to have everything inside the stand. Thought about getting a 20 long and using that and likely will later on. For now im trying to stay within a budget and work with what I have. Since I still need to get an RO system. As for the return I ended up putting another street 90 down that's 1in slip to 3/4 thread and bought some loc line. I seen the U shape return nozzle but felt iffy about it.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I didn't even think if the skimmer could be taken out completely to clean lol. Wow. I'll have to check but I'm thinking it might not. When I went to pick the setup up and actually had to break down the entire running tank as it was, it never looked like the person ever took the skimmer out to clean it. Ther entire system was fairly neglected and gross. Good point sir. Can't believe I overlooked that one.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sump volume and all and made me feel better with that extra cushion for backflow during power loss. I should have just went with the 20 long from the get go.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I didn't even think if the skimmer could be taken out completely to clean lol. Wow. I'll have to check but I'm thinking it might not. When I went to pick the setup up and actually had to break down the entire running tank as it was, it never looked like the person ever took the skimmer out to clean it. Ther entire system was fairly neglected and gross. Good point sir. Can't believe I overlooked that one.
the collection cup can be removed from skimmer but still not sure if the base would fit in that space. Not to mention having to tilt skimmer almost completely sideways to remove it, & with all the water in skimmer that's going to be a PIA.

I like the sump volume and all and made me feel better with that extra cushion for backflow during power loss. I should have just went with the 20 long from the get go.
u can control sump water level by using smaller baffle size, I used this spreadsheet to calculate gal size when making my sump, just plug in the #'s in the yellow cells.

Attachments

• Sump Calc.xlsx
    15.3 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm going to have to see how hard it is to take the skimmer out. The stand does open up underneath just beyond the door frame but still you may be right, might just have to go with the 20 long. Will have to play with it to see if that's even going to work. Thanks for mentioning that, better to nip that in the bud now than later. Just get so excited to set up the tank and all these other things to do to get it ready, starts to get easy to overlook something's. Which I thought I was doing a good job of not overlooking details lol. Have been reading so much and trying to prevent myself from making alot of other people's mistakes. These moments are humbling

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm going to have to see how hard it is to take the skimmer out. The stand does open up underneath just beyond the door frame but still you may be right, might just have to go with the 20 long. Will have to play with it to see if that's even going to work. Thanks for mentioning that, better to nip that in the bud now than later. Just get so excited to set up the tank and all these other things to do to get it ready, starts to get easy to overlook something's. Which I thought I was doing a good job of not overlooking details lol. Have been reading so much and trying to prevent myself from making alot of other people's mistakes. These moments are humbling
No worries, in my 1st cube it was such a hassle trying to do work inside the small cube stand. For now, u can try tank as is and see if it's livable and discover any other items u'd want to improve. After few months, if u find it too cumbersome, then can always go w the 20 long.
When I upgraded to a 93 cube, I placed the tank in basement by furnace room and quickly got tired of having sump inside the stand. So I drilled a hole through the wall & placed a bigger diy sump behind the wall. No more tight spaces when doing sump work, now while working I sit on a small kiddie chair from the days when my boys were toddlers .. so much more comfortable on me old back! ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome now let's get some water in that bad boy!

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, in my 1st cube it was such a hassle trying to do work inside the small cube stand. For now, u can try tank as is and see if it's livable and discover any other items u'd want to improve. After few months, if u find it too cumbersome, then can always go w the 20 long.
When I upgraded to a 93 cube, I placed the tank in basement by furnace room and quickly got tired of having sump inside the stand. So I drilled a hole through the wall & placed a bigger diy sump behind the wall. No more tight spaces when doing sump work, now while working I sit on a small kiddie chair from the days when my boys were toddlers .. so much more comfortable on me old back! ;)
Yea sure wish I could put the sump behind the wall but the tank is against an external wall but I do have a basement. Unfortunately it's in the process of being finished though. And I don't think the inspector will like me running pipes down to a sump lol.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leak check time!
20200722_221410.jpg

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200726_002842.jpg
filled the tank with freshwater and a little bleach to disinfect everything as well as checking for leaks. Guess my plumbing skills aren't too bad. No leaks first go around. Will be draining today and letting the bleach evaporate. Rock is still curing and cycling in a brute can. Almost done though. Will be filled with sand, rock, and water very soon.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good... what'd u decide to do with the sump?
Decided im going to leave the sump in fort a bit. Though I do intend on changing it to a 20 long in the near future. It's counter intuitive I know, why not just do it now. Well all im going to say is, happy wife, happy life lol.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u r a wise man, I'm a bit slow and took me years to figure this out... :p
any tank update?
Yea got my RO system installed. Got the DI part of it separate from brs. Decide to go with a system I can get dual use out of. Just got the DI and tds meter in the mail yesterday and haven't hooked it up yet. Still trying to think of the best configuration since the base unit is installed under the kitchen sink. Just got my special grade argonite sand in the mail as well. So, if all goes as planned I should have the tank up and running by mid next week

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea got my RO system installed. Got the DI part of it separate from brs. Decide to go with a system I can get dual use out of. Just got the DI and tds meter in the mail yesterday and haven't hooked it up yet. Still trying to think of the best configuration since the base unit is installed under the kitchen sink. Just got my special grade argonite sand in the mail as well. So, if all goes as planned I should have the tank up and running by mid next week
By "dual use" if u mean to drink the RODI water, pls make sure the unit is rated safe for drinking bc the RODI units from aquarium shops are not meant to be used as potable water.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By "dual use" if u mean to drink the RODI water, pls make sure the unit is rated safe for drinking bc the RODI units from aquarium shops are not meant to be used as potable water.
No I got a unit that had 4 stages, filters to Ro to tank, and to faucet but then I got the di canister from BRS and branched off of it separately with a control valve.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back