Almost done with the equipment cabinet.
16018696522208489912091421432494.jpg

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sump swapped out. That was a chore! But well worth it, so much more space now. Going to be cleaning everything up once I get the cabinet in place.
20201005_203326.jpg
I recall the old sump was a 29 tall and the new 20. The new sump water level seems a bit high for my comfort, did u do a flood test to confirm water won't overflow if there's a power outage?

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That came out really nice! I should've bought a kit for my sump build but was too cheap.

u have some serious carpentry skills there...

Yeah, I'm pretty satisfied how the sump turned out. I was a little skeptical at first. I could of got some glass cut and rigged it up myself like I did the 29g but the acrylic baffle kit really gave it a more refined look and purpose. So far so good. And thanks on the cabinet! Just a few things I've picked up over a relatively short period of time I've been doing some carpentry. Still far from perfect but hopefully it works the way I planned for it to.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall the old sump was a 29 tall and the new 20. The new sump water level seems a bit high for my comfort, did u do a flood test to confirm water won't overflow if there's a power outage?
Yes sir you are correct. Previous was a 29. And the water level i have since lowered a bit, but not much. And it would flood right now if I were to lose power. But my delima at the moment is that I have a bubble magus curve 7, which requires 9 to 11in of water level. Max the current baffles allow is 9. When I dropped the water level more my skimmer basically doesn't work anymore. So I'm trying to consider my options since I don't have the free cash to just buy a 400$ skimmer. Would be awesome if I could find someone to trade down with or something. But believe me it's a main priority for the tank right now. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir you are correct. Previous was a 29. And the water level i have since lowered a bit, but not much. And it would flood right now if I were to lose power. But my delima at the moment is that I have a bubble magus curve 7, which requires 9 to 11in of water level. Max the current baffles allow is 9. When I dropped the water level more my skimmer basically doesn't work anymore. So I'm trying to consider my options since I don't have the free cash to just buy a 400$ skimmer. Would be awesome if I could find someone to trade down with or something. But believe me it's a main priority for the tank right now. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
I see. Can u adjust the water level in the chamber w rock, that may help with volume. Otherwise u can always add a check valve on the return pipe
Inked20201005_203326_LI.jpg

Also, was there small hole drilled into bottom of return nozzle in the DT to break siphon when pump shuts off?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following! That equipment cabinet is great!

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tank overall is doing relatively well. Coraline starting to come in pretty strong. Got 3x fish in, a yellow tang, powder blue, and Scopus tang. Fish were quarantined buuut looks like some flukes made it through. So had to dose some prazipro to the tank, on day 3 of the treatment this far. Seems to be doing ok. The timing was terrible cause I got 2 different shipments of coral in from WWC basically the same time I found out the fish had flukes and had to dose. Which I was worried the corals would suffer from shipping then medication stress. But so far so good I think. Still a bit worried that the flukes might be prazi resistant as the fish were treated with prazi during the qt process, so we will see in another week or so after the second dose. Also, struggling with keeping the ph stable due to the prazi and it depleting oxygen. Which I think I may had thwarted for now. Wasn't getting enough gas exchange with surface agitation so I had to turn my skimmer back on without the head and connect a tube to the air intake and run in out a window in my house for fresh air. Brought the ph up from 7.7 to 8.0 . Which the ph was always holding around 7.9 to 8.0 before the prazi. So I'll let that ride for now.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of coral. Don't mind the wily nilly placements lol. And I had to turn off the blues for a clear picture, so not as pretty too look at.
20201027_184811.jpg
20201027_184822.jpg
20201027_184840.jpg
20201027_184854.jpg
20201027_204716.jpg

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, appears that i had an explosion of copepods or something the same day i dosed prazi as shortly after dosing i noticed all over the glass where these little white specks. looking closer i could see they had appendages and everything. almost look like lice everywhere. which im assuming that these are copepods and must have aggravated them or something from the prazi dose in which they all came out. not to sure. thought it was a little odd though. anyone ever have any experience with something like that?

i find it funny that after doing alot of reading about starting the tank and everything involved, that taking things slowly was important. Which i took the mentality of and have been taking things very gradually. but right now seems like everything has just come to a head with each other and suddenly I'm trying to react but not over react to all this. Not that im overwhelmed or anything but just found it ironic everything happening at once. I just dont like the fact of having to dose prazi in the display, wish i didnt have to do that as i really didnt want to add any medications or anything so early in the tanks life where keeping it stable is important while everything is still establishing itself. Hopefully everything will smooth out in a week or two when the prazi is done with.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tank overall is doing relatively well. Coraline starting to come in pretty strong. Got 3x fish in, a yellow tang, powder blue, and Scopus tang. Fish were quarantined buuut looks like some flukes made it through. So had to dose some prazipro to the tank, on day 3 of the treatment this far. Seems to be doing ok. The timing was terrible cause I got 2 different shipments of coral in from WWC basically the same time I found out the fish had flukes and had to dose. Which I was worried the corals would suffer from shipping then medication stress. But so far so good I think. Still a bit worried that the flukes might be prazi resistant as the fish were treated with prazi during the qt process, so we will see in another week or so after the second dose. Also, struggling with keeping the ph stable due to the prazi and it depleting oxygen. Which I think I may had thwarted for now. Wasn't getting enough gas exchange with surface agitation so I had to turn my skimmer back on without the head and connect a tube to the air intake and run in out a window in my house for fresh air. Brought the ph up from 7.7 to 8.0 . Which the ph was always holding around 7.9 to 8.0 before the prazi. So I'll let that ride for now.
good to hear coralline's coming around. Unless u don't plan to add more fish, the tangs should've been added last bc once they are established tangs dont take kindly to new comers. Also just an FYI in case u were not aware - the powder blue and scopus may not do well long term in a 93 cube since they'll outgrow the tank. The powder blue is one of the most aggressive tang's and may become hostile in a 93 esp w 2 other tangs. Unfortunately it is also one of the more sensitive tangs that is notorious for getting ich, for which stress often triggers it. Someone once told me "if u just look at it wrong, it'll get ich"...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back