Deltec CR Twintech 1500 thoughts and review

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote a review on the Dastaco automatic calcium reactor sometime last year, I have switched to a Deltec Twintech 1500 for a year now and I figure I would write a review on it too.

Keep in mind I wasn’t paid or am I sponsored by any of the companies. I went out there and purchased the unit with my own money at full price.

SETUP

Setup was pretty straight forward, just had to follow the manual. Since this was my second automatic calcium reactor it was pretty simple. It’s just plug and play. The unit came with everything but the CO2 regulator and Co2 tank, so you will need to purchase that separately along with your choice of media. It’s recommended that you use 2-stage regulator but it’s not necessary. I had a SS 2-stage co2 regulator from a previous setup so I was good to go… A 2-stage co2 regulator can run you $350+ a single stage one like the tunze one will cost you about $100. Something to consider if you are on a budget.

My first impression; super well built, unit has a really CLEAN look. It’s something you would be proud to display under you cabinet or even outside your cabinet. The white and blue give this modern feel to it. I love it!

OPERATION

Once you have the reactor setup, dialing it in is a simple as pressing the up and down button on the main controller. You can increase the amount of effluent by simply pressing the up button on the controller. Super easy!!

The unit uses the same principle as the DASTACO automatic calcium reactor. As mentioned in my Dastaco review.

“The DaStaCo has no ph probe, No more ph probe calibration!! The way it works is through the idea of Co2 saturation. Co2 will get pumped into the Co2 chamber where a float switch will control when the Co2 solenoid will open/close. So the ph inside the reactor will stay consistent and steady. The knobs on the controller only controls how often the peristaltic pump comes on to push effluent out. Now I won’t get into more detail as this is the basics of the operations.”

The unit comes with 2 pumps, no peristaltic pumps so that means no tube replacement, less maintenance! The way this unit controls the effluent amount is through a flow sensor. The feed pump will kick in to feed the calcium reactor and when the flow sensor will determine when the feed pumps stops. The reactor mixing pump is a DC pump so you can adjust how much flow it pushes through the reactor. The pump is near silent, but like any DC pump, you will hear a slight humming once you have it in the higher levels, under 60% and you won’t hear it at all. I have it set a 40% and haven’t had the need to go higher than that.

MAINTENANCE/PARTS/SUPPORT

Deltec has been around for industry for some time now, and there’s a reason for that. The products are built like rocks and they perform like no other. I wasn’t too worry about having issues with this unit. I wasn’t expecting to need any support with the product, but something did happened to my unit that I had to reach out. I had some issues with the reactor mixing pump, it was defective after a few month of usage. It would occasionally stop running. I went ahead on contacted DeltecUSA in Florida. After a few exchange of emails they were going to replace my pump but they didn’t have it in-stock at the moment so they had to order it from Germany. It took a few weeks so during this time I had to dust out my 2-part dosing system and setup it up. Pump came in and I was good to go. No issues in the support department but keep in mind that the mother company is overseas so some parts will need to be order and it might take a few weeks for it to arrive.

Maintenance on these units are very minimal, but I’m guessing it also depends on the media you use. I had some DASTACO media left from my last setup, so I was using DASTACO media. The DASTACO media is very coarse and it didn’t break down like the reborn media. I didn’t have anything on the bottom of my reactor after a year of use. I thought I would had to clean the media chamber but NOPE! I checked all the lines to make sure everything good. Checked the mixing pump impeller and it was clean! I took the feeding pump apart and it wasn’t too bad, I clean the sponge filter and the impeller with a toothbrush and I was good to go! Didn’t have to replace any tubing of any kind!

Also these units are built with US plugs so you can directly plug it into the wall, no transformers needed.

PROS

• Low maintenance cost and super low maintenance
  • Super reliable
  • Easy to use
  • Looks awesome, goes with the rest of your aquarium furniture!
CONS

• Co2 regulator is not included with the price of the unit, additional cost on top of the unit
  • Some replacement parts might not be readily available
Final Thoughts

I love this reactor! It’s a set and forget system with super low maintenance! It’s simple to setup and simple to use. I think this is by far the easiest calcium reactor to setup! If you this is your first calcium reactor I would highly suggest this unit.

I know some of you guys are probably wondering which one a better unit; the Dastaco or the Deltec? They both will do the job, but the Deltec reactor feels more refine, more modern. Dastaco is a little more sensitive and it has a DIY feel to it. If I was to choose between the 2; I will stick to my Deltec unit.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions or comments.

Here’s my Dastaco review if you haven’t seen it yet

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dastaco-calcium-reactor-throughts-and-review.713462/

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review and it’s a all correct what you’ve said, I’ve been running the 1500 version for nearly 12 months

They are very simple to operate, literally pressing a button to turn it up or down

The Deltec build quality is excellent and solid, I’ve got several reactors and have just ordered the NFP 512 Nitrate reactor

OP
OP
Hersheyb

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is timely... I am in the market! Would you suggest buying a spare DC pump to have on hand?
If don't think it's necessary... their pumps are pretty good quality... maybe I was just unlucky, but if you want to be on the safe side it won't hurt... I always have a spare return pump and heater on hand just incase =)

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote a review on the Dastaco automatic calcium reactor sometime last year, I have switched to a Deltec Twintech 1500 for a year now and I figure I would write a review on it too.

Keep in mind I wasn’t paid or am I sponsored by any of the companies. I went out there and purchased the unit with my own money at full price.

SETUP

Setup was pretty straight forward, just had to follow the manual. Since this was my second automatic calcium reactor it was pretty simple. It’s just plug and play. The unit came with everything but the CO2 regulator and Co2 tank, so you will need to purchase that separately along with your choice of media. It’s recommended that you use 2-stage regulator but it’s not necessary. I had a SS 2-stage co2 regulator from a previous setup so I was good to go… A 2-stage co2 regulator can run you $350+ a single stage one like the tunze one will cost you about $100. Something to consider if you are on a budget.

My first impression; super well built, unit has a really CLEAN look. It’s something you would be proud to display under you cabinet or even outside your cabinet. The white and blue give this modern feel to it. I love it!

OPERATION

Once you have the reactor setup, dialing it in is a simple as pressing the up and down button on the main controller. You can increase the amount of effluent by simply pressing the up button on the controller. Super easy!!

The unit uses the same principle as the DASTACO automatic calcium reactor. As mentioned in my Dastaco review.

“The DaStaCo has no ph probe, No more ph probe calibration!! The way it works is through the idea of Co2 saturation. Co2 will get pumped into the Co2 chamber where a float switch will control when the Co2 solenoid will open/close. So the ph inside the reactor will stay consistent and steady. The knobs on the controller only controls how often the peristaltic pump comes on to push effluent out. Now I won’t get into more detail as this is the basics of the operations.”

The unit comes with 2 pumps, no peristaltic pumps so that means no tube replacement, less maintenance! The way this unit controls the effluent amount is through a flow sensor. The feed pump will kick in to feed the calcium reactor and when the flow sensor will determine when the feed pumps stops. The reactor mixing pump is a DC pump so you can adjust how much flow it pushes through the reactor. The pump is near silent, but like any DC pump, you will hear a slight humming once you have it in the higher levels, under 60% and you won’t hear it at all. I have it set a 40% and haven’t had the need to go higher than that.

MAINTENANCE/PARTS/SUPPORT

Deltec has been around for industry for some time now, and there’s a reason for that. The products are built like rocks and they perform like no other. I wasn’t too worry about having issues with this unit. I wasn’t expecting to need any support with the product, but something did happened to my unit that I had to reach out. I had some issues with the reactor mixing pump, it was defective after a few month of usage. It would occasionally stop running. I went ahead on contacted DeltecUSA in Florida. After a few exchange of emails they were going to replace my pump but they didn’t have it in-stock at the moment so they had to order it from Germany. It took a few weeks so during this time I had to dust out my 2-part dosing system and setup it up. Pump came in and I was good to go. No issues in the support department but keep in mind that the mother company is overseas so some parts will need to be order and it might take a few weeks for it to arrive.

Maintenance on these units are very minimal, but I’m guessing it also depends on the media you use. I had some DASTACO media left from my last setup, so I was using DASTACO media. The DASTACO media is very coarse and it didn’t break down like the reborn media. I didn’t have anything on the bottom of my reactor after a year of use. I thought I would had to clean the media chamber but NOPE! I checked all the lines to make sure everything good. Checked the mixing pump impeller and it was clean! I took the feeding pump apart and it wasn’t too bad, I clean the sponge filter and the impeller with a toothbrush and I was good to go! Didn’t have to replace any tubing of any kind!

Also these units are built with US plugs so you can directly plug it into the wall, no transformers needed.

PROS

• Low maintenance cost and super low maintenance
  • Super reliable
  • Easy to use
  • Looks awesome, goes with the rest of your aquarium furniture!
CONS

• Co2 regulator is not included with the price of the unit, additional cost on top of the unit
  • Some replacement parts might not be readily available
Final Thoughts

I love this reactor! It’s a set and forget system with super low maintenance! It’s simple to setup and simple to use. I think this is by far the easiest calcium reactor to setup! If you this is your first calcium reactor I would highly suggest this unit.

I know some of you guys are probably wondering which one a better unit; the Dastaco or the Deltec? They both will do the job, but the Deltec reactor feels more refine, more modern. Dastaco is a little more sensitive and it has a DIY feel to it. If I was to choose between the 2; I will stick to my Deltec unit.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions or comments.

Here’s my Dastaco review if you haven’t seen it yet

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dastaco-calcium-reactor-throughts-and-review.713462/
Thanks, this is a great review. It's good to know your experience with the Dastaco media.

I have the twintech 1500 for my new build, but haven't set it up yet as the system is still too new. I had purchased Reborn in preparation for running the reactor but am reconsidering if I should switch to the coarser media. I like the sound of easier maintenance. It sounds like you had prior experience with the Reborn media breaking down?

OP
OP
Hersheyb

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this is a great review. It's good to know your experience with the Dastaco media.

I have the twintech 1500 for my new build, but haven't set it up yet as the system is still too new. I had purchased Reborn in preparation for running the reactor but am reconsidering if I should switch to the coarser media. I like the sound of easier maintenance. It sounds like you had prior experience with the Reborn media breaking down?
I used the old reborn for years through different factors.. I had to switch to the dastaco media when I started using their reactor. It is definitely less maintenance, it didn't break down like the reborn media. I haven't used the new batch of reborn. Some ppl say it is the same but the new media definitely looks smaller than the old reborn.

Using a coarser media, meant that more unused co2 will escape the reactor, so I got added a 2nd chamber to my twin tech system filled with crushed coral. This definitely helped with the ph slightly.. I also have continous kalk drip and co2 scrubber on the skimmer... now my tank's ph is around 8.2-8.4.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the old reborn for years through different factors.. I had to switch to the dastaco media when I started using their reactor. It is definitely less maintenance, it didn't break down like the reborn media. I haven't used the new batch of reborn. Some ppl say it is the same but the new media definitely looks smaller than the old reborn.

Using a coarser media, meant that more unused co2 will escape the reactor, so I got added a 2nd chamber to my twin tech system filled with crushed coral. This definitely helped with the ph slightly.. I also have continous kalk drip and co2 scrubber on the skimmer... now my tank's ph is around 8.2-8.4.

That's good to know. One of my concerns is pH when I make the transition from dosing over to the reactor. I have a CO2 scrubber on the skimmer currently and will be running the effluent into the refugium. I've considered adding a Kalk drip down the road if it was an issue, but figured I would see how it goes. Can you share how you configured and added a second chamber to the twin tech. Thanks

OP
OP
Hersheyb

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. One of my concerns is pH when I make the transition from dosing over to the reactor. I have a CO2 scrubber on the skimmer currently and will be running the effluent into the refugium. I've considered adding a Kalk drip down the road if it was an issue, but figured I would see how it goes. Can you share how you configured and added a second chamber to the twin tech. Thanks
If you have any media reactors hanging around you can convert them into a 2nd chamber for the carx. Just filled up the media reactor with crush corals and attached the outlet of the carx to the inlet of the 2nd chamber. I believe the outlet tubing size for the twintech will fit a barb fitting of 3/8. I simply got a 3/8 reduced to 1/2 barb fitting into a inlet of the media reactor and outlet of the 2nd chamber goes into ur sump. I'll post up a picture tomorrow.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Has anyone cleaned the micro filter yet? Looks like mine needs it. But it doesn’t seem to come apart and I don’t want to break it.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone cleaned the micro filter yet? Looks like mine needs it. But it doesn’t seem to come apart and I don’t want to break it.

I don't have my reactor up and running yet, but I believe it's a fuel filter. They are inexpensive.

IMG_4002.jpg

Here's a link for the least expensive one I found, but I haven't ordered from them, and not sure about shipping:

Here is an amazon link too:

Last edited:

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't have my reactor up and running yet, but I believe the it is a fuel filter. They are inexpensive.

IMG_4002.jpg

Here's a link for the least expensive one I found, but I haven't ordered from them, and not sure about shipping:

Here is an amazon link too:

Awesome! Thank you!

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just ordered 10. Anyone descaled the flow meter yet? What did you use if so. I use Citric acid for everything. Any reason I can’t use it for that also?

craftbrews

Beer-a-pod
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, if we want to run this only during day-time are there problems if we control the unit via an EB832 plug on the Apex and just disable power during the night cycle?

My wife's 200g peninsula doesn't need a lot of KH currently as it's just getting setup and we're trying to find ways to run the calc reactor less frequently.

Deltec mentioned that you shouldn't drop below 10liters/day on the pump, otherwise we would drop the pump rate.

Przemek_PL_EU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, if we want to run this only during day-time are there problems if we control the unit via an EB832 plug on the Apex and just disable power during the night cycle?

My wife's 200g peninsula doesn't need a lot of KH currently as it's just getting setup and we're trying to find ways to run the calc reactor less frequently.

Deltec mentioned that you shouldn't drop below 10liters/day on the pump, otherwise we would drop the pump rate.
Is it mentioned officially that 10l/d is the minimum performance? Deltec offical www shows: Water supply: 3-350 litre / day. I'm just thinking to buy one but I want to be sure on the minimum performance.

szarko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to everyone. I have Twintech 1500 on my 100 gallon tank, and on 12 litres per day. kH is rock solid at 8.5 and I am completely satisfied with reactor. Mine main concern is do I have to add some extra elements? I use Rowalith W in rector. Or, should I add nothin and see what ICP showes? Reactor is in use for 1 month now and I can see small progress in coral growth. Does thing come even better in some time, since "everything" is stable. With ATS, my pH is great 8,1-8,5. thanks in advance

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope somebody purchases the rights to copy the old PRO- CAL calcium reactor that Leo from MTC used to make ..
WAAY better and less complicated than that deltec or most others on the market today...If you have/had a PRO-CAL -you know what I mean...

szarko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope somebody purchases the rights to copy the old PRO- CAL calcium reactor that Leo from MTC used to make ..
WAAY better and less complicated than that deltec or most others on the market today...If you have/had a PRO-CAL -you know what I mean...
have you owned Twintech? I had no CA reactor never before and didn't know almost anything about them. Twitech was assembled in 1 hour and never touched since then. Piece of cake and really no complicated at all. You absolutely don't have to know anything.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Comparing the Twin Tech reactor to non-saturation reactors - the simplicity and reliability is astounding. Having digital control to match the circulation rate, flow rate, and a degassing cycle - all coordinated perfectly by matching the numbers, eliminates so much of the potential user error as one makes adjustments - but, perhaps makes it SEEM more complicated?

szarko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing the Twin Tech reactor to non-saturation reactors - the simplicity and reliability is astounding. Having digital control to match the circulation rate, flow rate, and a degassing cycle - all coordinated perfectly by matching the numbers, eliminates so much of the potential user error as one makes adjustments - but, perhaps makes it SEEM more complicated?
yes. actually it is complicated to connect co2 and turn it on ;). it was more complicated to adjust skimmer than this reactor.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back