Screenshot_2018-12-10-12-41-07-1.png

Screenshot_2018-12-10-12-41-02-1.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see the little babies. I think they're stereonephthya, they look and have the same color as mama. Time will tell. Stay tuned

20181209_081252.jpg

20181209_081520.jpg
OFFSPRINGS! How adorable.

(Cruising the thread to see what is up.)
Do you have an ocean hose in OC like we do down in SD at Scripps?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location Fullerton CA? You mentioned filling up with seawater, it looked like what folks in San Diego do at Scripps Aquarium water supply hose. Free sea water.

No, I don't work there. They have a drive up hose where folks get free sea water pumped and sand filtered out of the Ocean.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before mother was married. She lived off Rosecrans by harbor area. I remember the old Clipper like boat restaurant the one with the sails, not modern one, is it still there going back and forth in harbor?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location Fullerton CA? You mentioned filling up with seawater, it looked like what folks in San Diego do at Scripps Aquarium water supply hose. Free sea water.

No, I don't work there. They have a drive up hose where folks get free sea water pumped and sand filtered out of the Ocean.
Im going to scripps. The company I just started buying ocean water from, can sell me unfiltered ocean water, see what happens.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before mother was married. She lived off Rosecrans by harbor area. I remember the old Clipper like boat restaurant the one with the sails, not modern one, is it still there going back and forth in harbor?
I'm not certain of the boat you remember, but I do not recall seeing one of these older sailing ships sailing with a restaurant on board.

Yes, I think unfiltered water could be a good idea for your babies to feed upon. I do wonder if the difference in plankton in cold CA water would be good or bad for your warm water species?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting to pick up real ocean water, no UV sterilization, filtered for large particles. Company name is Ocean in Motion. Located in Los Angeles. The other brands of real ocean water is sterilize and filtered of all nutrients. Bummer :)

Hundred and fifty gallons of h2o.

U

User1

View Badges
I'm not certain of the boat you remember, but I do not recall seeing one of these older sailing ships sailing with a restaurant on board.

Yes, I think unfiltered water could be a good idea for your babies to feed upon. I do wonder if the difference in plankton in cold CA water would be good or bad for your warm water species?

Will be fine. I have used NSW from the Monterey area on a few occasions. Sometimes when I go scuba diving I'll fill up a 55 gallon drum to take back home with me. Main thing when collecting off a beach is knowing if it is a marine reserve and what the water conditions are. This applies anyway when I go diving in some areas due to the sea life (sea lions, otters, seals, etc) and some bacteria. Sounds like you guys have a tap which will make it easier I'd wager.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be fine. I have used NSW from the Monterey area on a few occasions. Sometimes when I go scuba diving I'll fill up a 55 gallon drum to take back home with me. Main thing when collecting off a beach is knowing if it is a marine reserve and what the water conditions are. This applies anyway when I go diving in some areas due to the sea life (sea lions, otters, seals, etc) and some bacteria. Sounds like you guys have a tap which will make it easier I'd wager.
Thanks for sharing. Have you seen any difference in your corals? Also water perimeters different, ca, mg, alk, etc....?

U

User1

View Badges
@Jomama I guess I gave a blanket statement, eh? Sorry. I should have said that I haven't had any issues and do not believe you will :D Anyway truth be told I didn't measure anything other than the specific gravity. I noticed some polyp extension similar to what happens if I stir or distrupt my sand bed or feed liquid coral food. It was really just something I started to do during our drought.

I'm looking for some areas closer for when I don't go diving and maybe make a complete switch then. I'm exchanging emails with the state water resource control board who then sends me to other departments to help say where to pull from. I don't know how long the water would last but it would be nice to have 100 or so gallons on hand which would last me a couple months easy. Then I could do a trip to monterey for diving then a couple months later a trip to Napa for wine while both times filling up containers of water :)

bram33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to interrupt in your thread, but this is probably why they get so big. A video I shot in the philippines. Of course the plankton was somewhat attracted to our lights. But zoöplankton density was huge on almost every night.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back