Dendronephthya & Scleronephthya aquaculture

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I put one carnation coral in the sump. Not ideal for Carnation corals so that one I will be rotating on magnet and see if it thrive.

As much detritus as I have in my sump I think it would instantly die. I'll get around to vacuuming it out, I swear. Someday...

I'm also only running one jar of phyto cultivation now. I was making way too much phyto. Was a pain to shake all those containers of phyto in the fridge every day.

@Dr. Dendrostein How did the rotifer growing go? Haven't heard any updates.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much detritus as I have in my sump I think it would instantly die. I'll get around to vacuuming it out, I swear. Someday...

I'm also only running one jar of phyto cultivation now. I was making way too much phyto. Was a pain to shake all those containers of phyto in the fridge every day.

@Dr. Dendrostein How did the rotifer growing go? Haven't heard any updates.
the eggs came in a long time ago, but I'm waiting for the water in 5 gallon tank to cycle. I got the eggs from brine shrimp Direct, they are the cheapest for this product

20200119_123655.jpg

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, back to zero. With flow pattern and now rotating/spinning new carnations, we'll see what results, come of it.
Dendronephthya from Vietnam at day 15
Dendronephthya from Tonga at day 5

Screenshot_2019-12-10-09-24-35-1.png

Back to zero? I think I missed something. Or do you mean as in repeating the process with new corals?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to zero? I think I missed something. Or do you mean as in repeating the process with new corals?
Repeating process with new corals and adding rotation.
Rotation alone i get great results, should get even better

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repeating process with new corals and adding rotation.
Rotation alone i get great results, should get even better

Oh! You had me worried there for a minute.

What's the theory behind the rotating? Not something I can really do considering I mounted the corals. Just curious because I tried to take the approach of mimicking the natural environment and I'm pretty sure they don't rotate.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! You had me worried there for a minute.

What's the theory behind the rotating? Not something I can really do considering I mounted the corals. Just curious because I tried to take the approach of mimicking the natural environment and I'm pretty sure they don't rotate.
I'm thinking, all polyps get feed more evenly. Really helps. Specially for aquaculture of these corals.

Slingshot357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking, all polyps get feed more evenly. Really helps. Specially for aquaculture of these corals.

Oh. That's cool. I sorta do that the way I have the flow creating a whirlpool. When I feed the reef roids and reef blizzard I turn off the return pump and you can see the food doing rings around the corals. I sometimes leave it like that for an hour or so if I have time.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back