Derasa Clam question

cbranin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what’s up everyone. Recently got a derasa clam from ORA. Arrived at what looked like a slight rip in the mantle. For whatever reason today, seems like it’s more torn? I don’t suspect anything in my tank harassing the derasa as I’ve had a crocea for the last 6 months with no issues. Does this look like Pinched Mantle Disease? Wanted to hear some feedback/opinions. The “tear” is on the bottom middle of the clam.

IMG_8824.jpeg IMG_3741.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the expert, but I give new clams a freshwater bath following the instructions post on here somewhere by @OrionN
The other symptom of pinched mantle is a weeping sloughing of slime (bacteria?) that originates near the pinched area.

I don't see that myself, which is good, but again I am not the expert on this situation. Hope it thrives. :cool:

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No expert either but the fw dip ( ro-ro/di) matched to system temp and alk / ph worked for me in the past. I’d keep an eye on it and if it continues mayb dip it.

OP
OP
cbranin

cbranin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the expert, but I give new clams a freshwater bath following the instructions post on here somewhere by @OrionN
The other symptom of pinched mantle is a weeping sloughing of slime (bacteria?) that originates near the pinched area.

I don't see that myself, which is good, but again I am not the expert on this situation. Hope it thrives. :cool:
there’s a very tiny chip on the tip of his shell, maybe got damaged on shipment. I’m not too worried about it, the derasa is already attached to that spot. Only thing would suck is trying to get that crocea out of his spot if the derasa does end up having pmd. He’s locked in on that rock lol.

OP
OP
cbranin

cbranin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just damage, maybe from shipping and I don't see any signs of PMD. Also, I wouldn't dip new clams as prevention, as this adds stress to a clam. You're better off setting up a QT for observation and proceed if anything develops.
Thanks for the reply, there’s a slight chip where new growth it located. Unfortunate but should be alright I think.

TeamAquaSD

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey what’s up everyone. Recently got a derasa clam from ORA. Arrived at what looked like a slight rip in the mantle. For whatever reason today, seems like it’s more torn? I don’t suspect anything in my tank harassing the derasa as I’ve had a crocea for the last 6 months with no issues. Does this look like Pinched Mantle Disease? Wanted to hear some feedback/opinions. The “tear” is on the bottom middle of the clam.

IMG_8824.jpeg IMG_3741.jpeg
I think it may be a natural occurrence. It is nice and open and not seeing any additional recession or issues like sloughing off mucous ect. Since it is open that much I would assume it is still reacting to shadows like per normal?

OP
OP
cbranin

cbranin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may be a natural occurrence. It is nice and open and not seeing any additional recession or issues like sloughing off mucous ect. Since it is open that much I would assume it is still reacting to shadows like per normal?
Giving an update, the mantle is healing slowly but surely. No mucus discharge and reacts well to light with new shell growth, thanks!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back