Diamond Goby Concern

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet Forum' started by Kelsey Fletcher, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Kelsey Fletcher

Kelsey Fletcher Member

I have a 55-gallon reef tank with a diamond goby and a few other gobys. Today, I turned my lights on to see that my diamond goby was swimming straight for the powerheads and almost got sucked into one. He does not appear to be sick as there are no physical signs but he looks kind of psychotic. The only thing that I can see on him that is different is that his fins and all kind of hugging him and he seems skinny. He is fed twice a day like all of my other fish and has never had any other problems. I got him about two months ago. What should I do!?!?!?! I don't want him to infect any of my other fish IF he IS really sick but I really can't tell!

Thanks!
    ~Kelsey Fletcher

GoVols likes this.

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Do you have any pictures of the little guy?

GoVols and Kelsey Fletcher like this.
  3. Waters

Waters "...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall." R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I personally would just leave him in the tank and watch him....make sure he continues to eat. I find that pulling the fish and putting them into QT (without any positive identification that something is definitely wrong) usually causes more harm due to the stress of being moved. If he does have some sort of parasite or disease, there is a good chance the rest of the fish would have to be treated anyways.

GoVols and Kelsey Fletcher like this.
  4. Kelsey Fletcher

Kelsey Fletcher Member

These are pictures taken just a few minutes ago. He is now on the bottom struggling to breathe but I have no idea why!!

diamond goby.JPG

diamond goby today.JPG

GoVols likes this.
  5. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

#reefsquad @Humblefish Any ideas?

6. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

7. Kelsey Fletcher

Kelsey Fletcher Member

I got him in January. I got all of my fish in January so it is a relatively new tank setup. I did QT all of them and did as instructed regarding adding fish to the tank a little at a time. he was put in first and all of my fish have been living together for about a month and a half now. there have been no additions to the tank other than a few snails every now and then.

8. Dan McNertney

Dan McNertney Valuable Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Probably just cruising the waves.
    If it eats and appears to be fine, its probably fine. How many fish, and what are they? What size tank? I would make sure I would have a screen top on your tank as they and any fish can be jumpers.

Edit: sorry I see you have a 55 gallon.

Kelsey Fletcher likes this.
  9. Kelsey Fletcher

Kelsey Fletcher Member

yes, I have a 55-gallon with 4 firefish gobies, 2 clown gobies, 1 ruby red dragonet, 1 powder blue tang (that will be sold when he outgrows his tank!), one Rainford's goby, and a maroon clownfish. Its a full house of gobies lol!! I cant screen my top because I have tubing and other things going over the edge. I do have glass doors that cover most of the top but don't have a screen top.

GoVols likes this.
  10. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

Wow! Eleven fish in a 55....with a glass top. So you know where I'm coming from, I'm thinking gas exchange. Are you running a skimmer? The guy might simply be gasping for air.

11. Kelsey Fletcher

Kelsey Fletcher Member

No, I do not have a skimmer. I don't think its that because that's what I thought so I turned one of the powerheads up so that there were more bubbles going into the water and that the circulation was fine. Also, more than half of my tank is open so there isn't any air trapped in the tank. He has only gotten worse as the day has gone on. I turned the lights off and he settled to the bottom but whenever I turned the lights on he would swim straight into the powerheads!

12. Kelsey Fletcher

Kelsey Fletcher Member

I don't think he is going to last the next hour because he is barely breathing at all now!! what do I do!?!?!?!

13. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

When fish swim directly into the current, it is typically because they arent getting enough oxygen (be it parasite, lack of oxygen in the water, etc.). Given the info we have, redfishbluefish is likely correct. Additionally, it appears to be rather thin and not getting enough food.

Jay1661, Crabs Mcjones and Savage338 like this.
  14. Kelsey Fletcher

Kelsey Fletcher Member

I agree on the food part. But i watch all of my fish eat so that they are all getting food. so how do I fix the gas situation?!?!?!

15. LJLKRL05

LJLKRL05 Active Member Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Put an airstone in the tank and see if it helps.

GoVols and Jay1661 like this.
  16. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

How long has the tang been operational? With that many fish and a very new tank I’m thinking bio load is so high that it’s caused ammonia poisoning.

Also, a 55 gal is too small even for a juvenile powder blue.

Ergodyne, GoVols and Jay1661 like this.
  17. miyags

miyags Valuable Member

Don't Diamond gobies need a well established sand bed to feed properly.It looks starved to me.

Fin and Ergodyne like this.
  18. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

They readily accept food introduced to the tank so as long as you feed the tank multiple times each day, they do just fine.

Ergodyne likes this.
  19. Reef man 89

Reef man 89 Valuable Member

I feed my diamond gobby cut up pieces of krill and he absolutely loves it. You could try feed him alittle more then what you are feeding him now. He definitely look quite thin in his stomach area. You could always aim one of your power head to the surface to help with the gas exchange. Or add a skimmer or air stone.

Crabs Mcjones likes this.
  20. Kelsey Fletcher

Kelsey Fletcher Member

He ended up dying a few minutes after I sent the last message:(. He was eating perfectly fine so I don't know why he died. The tank has only been running since December of last year and I got him a month after that so he couldn't have starved for 2 months. A juvenile powder blue tang can fit in a 55 gallon. I am watching his growing and will be selling him in a few months though and will probably get a smaller tang instead of that kind. they are kind of butts that eat everything!!

Draft saved Draft deleted