Dinoflagellate takeover!!!

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its funny you say this but as soon as i started using dino x i had the exact same problem... dino bloom massivky everywhere kept growing not going down.. after about 5 days i decided to stop it and im currently looking for alternative method
Hi merereef, I didn’t realise you were also in the U.K. if you need peroxide just ask at Lloyd’s pharmacy or at boots. You must be working a night shift?

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi merereef, I didn’t realise you were also in the U.K. if you need peroxide just ask at Lloyd’s pharmacy or at boots. You must be working a night shift?

Haha thank you so much man.. i will pop over today and get some..no night shift... just cant sleep... this is what dinos does to you lol

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is you tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Really? Where do you get hydrogen peroxide from? And do you need to get a certain percentage of peroxide? After treatment is done do you need to do large water changes ir use carbon to get rid of the peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide- Any grocery store, pharmacy, even Walmart. Its mainly water , so its safe. Dose at night and siphon any loose dinos' during day. Run skimmer and use if you have filter socks to trap and remove loose din as it dissolves

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Haha thank you so much man.. i will pop over today and get some..no night shift... just cant sleep... this is what dinos does to you lol
I was there !

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide- Any grocery store, pharmacy, even Walmart. Its mainly water , so its safe. Dose at night and siphon any loose dinos' during day. Run skimmer and use if you have filter socks to trap and remove loose din as it dissolves

How soon after did you notice it dissapeared i have a red sea reefer 250 65gallons but might dose 6ml round it up to 60 gallons

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had this in a 660g tank and I noticed at day 4 it was thinning out and coming loose. By day 9 tank was looking normal. I still continue after 2 months to partially treat daily to keep it in check

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they sure are, i’m going to get some potassium nitrate/phosphate and bring the levels up. using salifert nitrate test kit and hanna phosphate
sodium nitrate
2.5g sodium nitrate reagent disloved in 8 oz. of RODI water. 1ml of this solution / 2 gallons of tank water to raise nitrate .8ppm. Example: 37.5ml of solution will raise nitrates 1ppm in 60 gallons of tank water.

Would recommend using Red sea pro test kit for nitrates. (am a salifert fan as well)

Good luck

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this in a 660g tank and I noticed at day 4 it was thinning out and coming loose. By day 9 tank was looking normal. I still continue after 2 months to partially treat daily to keep it in check

And you didnt see it affect any corals or fish etc? So safe to use?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And you didnt see it affect any corals or fish etc? So safe to use?
No. Realize that Peroxide is comprised mainly of water. I add it every single day

1570119112991.png

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just went and got some a little concered about the ingredients just thought id doube check what you think?

D00FEAFF-6AD8-4C08-9882-473EC0DB36FB.jpeg

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went and got some a little concered about the ingredients just thought id doube check what you think?

D00FEAFF-6AD8-4C08-9882-473EC0DB36FB.jpeg
The phosphoric acid is nothing to be concerned about but the phenacetin could be an issue. It doesn’t state it’s concentration. A little search brought up that it is an opioid but not too much else regarding animal toxicity.

I would use that H2O2 personally but I also don’t mind taking a little risk once in a while.

@merereef where are you based in the U.K.? I am up at Newcastle upon Tyne. Right now I am mid flight between Kunming, China and on my way to Paris

Thanks
Zane

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphoric acid is nothing to be concerned about but the phenacetin could be an issue. It doesn’t state it’s concentration. A little search brought up that it is an opioid but not too much else regarding animal toxicity.

I would use that H2O2 personally but I also don’t mind taking a little risk once in a while.

@merereef where are you based in the U.K.? I am up at Newcastle upon Tyne. Right now I am mid flight between Kunming, China and on my way to Paris

Thanks
Zane
From manchester.. what a life you live wish i could travel like that. How you have the time to keep a reef lol

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From manchester.. what a life you live wish i could travel like that. How you have the time to keep a reef lol
The answer is with great difficulty. I used to work over on Princess Road at Siemens in Manchester. The money is good but the travel is crap and takes time away from home. I automated most of my tank and I have remote access which means I can do the majority of things but once in a while I still need to phone the wife to do something.

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is with great difficulty. I used to work over on Princess Road at Siemens in Manchester. The money is good but the travel is crap and takes time away from home. I automated most of my tank and I have remote access which means I can do the majority of things but once in a while I still need to phone the wife to do something.

Yeah i know where princess road is.. must be hard though like you say travelling. Do you use apex for automation? By the way ive done research on hydrogen peroxide in general and yeah thats pretty safe same thing for all of them so will start using it tonight

OP
OP
TheGreenReefer

TheGreenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: dino’s are gone! the next step is to clean the rocks and bring down nutrients. after dosing nitrate and phosphate everything is now green. i have vibrant which i just started, but i’m worried that i’ll bring my nutrients down too low and then i’ll have a dino problem again. any advice?

C5291E37-E337-46F3-A81C-DE0117FD84A3.jpeg 5E22FD6E-F1DF-4B6E-B1B9-FC87E627C101.jpeg 604397B0-6934-42A5-BAB3-E05A8544B3DD.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back