Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Im really happy! Do you think it would be good to leave UV maybe a month and then only put it on in the night for some time and then fully shut it off and observe?
I used a UV for ostreopsis for 2-3 months continuous and took it off line for about a month and now the ostreopsis is back. Now Im wondering if the UV will be a permanent piece of equipment in my tank.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Im really happy! Do you think it would be good to leave UV maybe a month and then only put it on in the night for some time and then fully shut it off and observe?

Once I felt confident that my ostreopsis wasn't going to bloom again, I moved my UV from my display to my sump and I run it 24/7. I don't see a reason to take it offline. My tank looks the best it ever has, fish and coral are happy... Can't see why to remove it. I've read some folks see dinos return when taking them offline.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I felt confident that my ostreopsis wasn't going to bloom again, I moved my UV from my display to my sump and I run it 24/7. I don't see a reason to take it offline. My tank looks the best it ever has, fish and coral are happy... Can't see why to remove it. I've read some folks see dinos return when taking them offline.
The problem is that the unit is huge, and my tank is small and it dont look really esteticaly pleasent :) But I prefer ugly unit hanging that ugly and sick tank :) I think it wont fit in the furniture under my cube.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that the unit is huge, and my tank is small and it dont look really esteticaly pleasent :) But I prefer ugly unit hanging that ugly and sick tank :) I think it wont fit in the furniture under my cube.

Maybe you could mount it vertically on the side of your stand or something? Get creative with it!

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing NO3/PO4 for a few days now. For awhile my PO4 never dropped, and my NO3 was constantly dropping from 2ppm down to 0. I switched to dosing 5ppm NO3 and my PO4 started dropping within 12 hours. Now my NO3 is plateauing and my PO4 is dropping pretty fast.

Lots more green algae, but dinos are continuing to grow a lot. Does this sound promising?
I'm surprised nobody answered this. I'll say yes. Its frustrating but getting worse before better is a common occurrence. Keep maintaining nutrients. Eventually, green algae will thrive. If dinos aren't visible let the tank restabilize without nutrient additions. If dinos return, ID them. Could be different dinos. I experienced this and going a month without water changes or dosing the big 3 helped. It starved out the hair algae and the new dino bailed out. Dont try to add anything to help clear up any algae growth.

RedneckReefer68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple stragglers the day before yesterday, but I couldn't find any yesterday. I even turkey basted the rocks and frag plugs

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Coral order coming in and my phosphate was a little high so I decided to do a larger water change than normal. Big mistake, 2 days later they was back again in full force. I started to raise my nitrate slowly and siphoned a few more times.

What are you NO3 and PO4 levels now? (How about compared to before?)

Also, just because tanks are plumbing-connected doesn't mean they necessarily have the same parameters everywhere.

Right! The display with the dino's may be the one with the highest-nutrient demand – thus it might be the only one that is (or was) P- or N-limited.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the istructions it says mount horizontally :(
I have a 57 watt unit on a 50g cube and mounted it horizontally behind the tank. This keeps it out of the way and pretty well hidden. It is currently set up with a separate pump pulling from and discharging to the tank but will be replumbing so it will be tied into my return line.
The minimum time I would keep it in service for Ostreopsis is 6 months, just to deal with any cysts that become active. I don't see any issues with only running at night since the dinos enter the water column then, though cycling the unit may have more detrimental effects on bulb life than running continuously.
I personally run mine 24/7.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV could be a long-lasting intervention (for the reasons of cyst formation and rebloom as mentioned by beardo), but it should not need to be permanent.
When we say dino cells form cysts, we're talking about small part of the population - single digit percent. So when they decide it's safe to emerge (based on conditions - nutrients, temp, not time) it's in much smaller numbers than the original. That rebloom shouldn't happen too many times. And more often, if the nutrients are kept available, there will really be negligible number of cells that will encyst in the first place.
UV is a great tool but all it does is reduce dino cell numbers (important!).
It does nothing to address the community ecosystem of the tank. So until other organisms establish themselves in the niche that dinos occupied, there is nothing preventing a relapse or outbreak by a different strain. That's why UV is not our primary focus.

I've run UV on big tanks and nano systems, as part of fighting dino outbreaks in each. Pulled UV offline for months without re-emergence. I've even dumped multiple doses of several live strains from an outbreak in one tank into my display (no UV) once the display was dino free and no dinos got a foothold in the display.
If you're uncomfortable with UV, you can run it intermittently - the first successful UV treatments were running only at night anyway because that's when dinos are most active in the water. As the outbreak subsides, you could scale down the UV time to every other day, only on weekends, etc.

Anyway, never letting the tank starve of P (and N) again is a permanent intervention - UV need not be.

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it strange that after dosing P & N to battle ostreopsis i have NEVER had a hair algae bloom? Only other algae i would get in my tank is green algae. Ive read so many other reefers growing hair but never in mine.

wonder why??

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it strange that after dosing P & N to battle ostreopsis i have NEVER had a hair algae bloom? Only other algae i would get in my tank is green algae. Ive read so many other reefers growing hair but never in mine.

wonder why??

I saw a few bits and pieces pop up here and there but never saw any take hold, that being said, I have a kole tang, magnificent foxface, 2 variegated urchins, snails, etc. I think I would have more hair algae if it weren't for those guys.

What about you? How's your herbivorous community?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back