Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefFreak@
Looks like Dino’s in Last pic or two but you need to scope it to be sure.
Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you have any scope recommendations that don't break the bank? Theres 3 types of dinos correct? ostreopsis, prorocentrum,and amphidinium. If it is dinos what would be the plan of action? It seems there are wide variations of treatments and mixed results from my recent research.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you have any scope recommendations that don't break the bank? Theres 3 types of dinos correct? ostreopsis, prorocentrum,and amphidinium. If it is dinos what would be the plan of action? It seems there are wide variations of treatments and mixed results from my recent research.
There are well over 2000 Dino's but we really only see a handful in our tanks. Ostriopsis, prorocentrum, gamberidiscus, small and large cell amphidinium, and coolia to name a few. The first post of this thread has a lot of good information on where to start and where to find a microscope.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experiment adding a micron filter before the UK is really successful. The combination keeps the Uv from fouling and does filter some Dino’s out.

I suspect the reason more people haven't claimed success with the micron filters is that they tried them before Dinos were somewhat controlled. During a bloom the number of tiny cells that would be produced is overwhelming. You could fill up and empty a filter and fill it again just as fast - make you feel like you're getting nowhere.
But exporting mass of Dino cells is always progress.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an early Dino problem in my 65 gallon mixed reef. I'm trying to stop it using 3 techniques:

1. Change filter sock every day, which by the way seems to get pretty clogged too.
2. Increase nitrates from zero to ~5ppm using Potassium Nitrate. (Phosphate has been controlled at around .05ppm using GFO)
3. Reduce photo period.

I'll report back how I'm doing.

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I have somewhat managed to tame my Dino population to controllable levels (limited to a few patches on the sand during lights on). Cyano has taken it's place in many areas now. What are the next steps to rid the cyano?

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And me with ostreopsis once again in my nano tank :( I will put my UV permanently, it took them two monts to come back. The bad think is that I mooved almost all my corals from my nano to a big tank a week ago :(.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And me with ostreopsis once again in my nano tank :( I will put my UV permanently, it took them two monts to come back. The bad think is that I mooved almost all my corals from my nano to a big tank a week ago :(.

Jolanta did you do anything special before moving? Any freshwater dip before putting into the big tank?

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those that have introduced biodiversity through new live rock or refugium muds or a scoop of detritus from someone's tank what has your experience been? I still see very little besides amphinidium on the rocks and sand even though my GHA is well established
6d5bea8fb6e2f3f00673e48d326aad6d.jpg

tonymacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm back at square one, UV did work a treat, within a week there was a massive difference, but this week just gone they started making a comeback, everything starts to get covered in that brown dust which again I thought was diatoms but it ends up getting stringy with bubbles, corals getting covered and I've lost a few, I also notice Bryopsis growing in places on the rocks and frag plugs, new frag plugs too I might add, add that to my aiptasia and its getting out of hand and am loosing the desire to continue with this now, also looking at possibly moving house next year so I think now is the time to knock this on the head and start winding down.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guy's i was able to collect a sample of the dinos. I used the coffee filter separation method then scoped them. I took over 50 pictures. Here are two pictures that i think show them really well. Hopefully someone can positively identify them for me.

IMG_2207.PNG

IMG_2206.PNG

IMG_2197.jpg

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question- I have Ostreopsis and under the scope i see something ,kinda round about 1/10th the size of the Ostreo, zipping around. Any ideas what they are? Also ,@Velcro how did the Jebao UV end up working for you? I'm thinking about getting one...no quality issues?

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guy's i was able to collect a sample of the dinos. I used the coffee filter separation method then scoped them. I took over 50 pictures. Here are two pictures that i think show them really well. Hopefully someone can positively identify them for me.

IMG_2207.PNG

IMG_2206.PNG

IMG_2197.jpg
Ostreopsis ovata

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jolanta did you do anything special before moving? Any freshwater dip before putting into the big tank?
No I didnt, couse I was thinking Im dino free in my nano, they ware gone for two months. I only had some strange brown algae that I didnt identify, is golden really small cells and motionless under the scope but those seam to vanish in my big thank, the rocks with corals from my nano are green now. No signs of brown.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question- I have Ostreopsis and under the scope i see something ,kinda round about 1/10th the size of the Ostreo, zipping around. Any ideas what they are? Also ,@Velcro how did the Jebao UV end up working for you? I'm thinking about getting one...no quality issues?
Can you capture a video of the smaller ones?

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m not looking at the UV micron combo as a cure. It just helps keep the UV tube clean and trap some Dino’s. It just helps pull burden out of the tank. Always looking to reduce Dino count to let other organisiums have a chance to catch up.

Anyone looking at what I’m saying this is additional to increased nutrients. Follow the plan.

I also backed light off by two hours and dropped intensity 30%. I’m looking at this like a chronic illness. Just reduce the symptoms as most I can and let the tank recover.

I also added some live rock. This also helped a lot. Hopefully I didn’t get a new strain in the process.

ReefFreak@

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a little confused i looked through the recommendations for ostreopsis but its kind of conflicting. It says lower n and p and add grazers. But i thought the reason the dinos came out was because of low n and p? Also thought dinos were toxic to grazers? Another thing it says is to add biodiversity but it contradicts itself again saying not to add bacteria because its dino food. Maybe im just over thinking all of this. I just need to be pointed in the right direction lol. PLEASE HELP!

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Beardo I can try tomorrow , but I've never posted pics or vids here. Not sure how to do it, so I'll see what I can do. Also had some crystal looking pieces , long rectangular with uneven ends pop up. As well as cyano, I'm not sure the whole microscope thing was good for me...way to many things in the water than I knew were there....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back