Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took about a month total. I then added iron to two of them to see what would happen. The iron was chelated with edta. Boom it bloomed but not in the controls.
Nice!

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolia responds to the treatment in this thread. I’m 90% cured.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolia responds to the treatment in this thread. I’m 90% cured.
I have to go back and reread but my plans are as follows:

Get N&P back in order.
Get UV sterilizer going in display.
Get Marinlands filter going (should I put this in the DT?)
After I get a decent decrease in dinos, get mud and sand activator from ipsf.

Am I missing anything?

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The micron filter did help but it’s not really needed. Yes in dt if you use it. Make sure you keep the Uv clean.

N5-10 P0.15

FaithKlim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the early stages of my osteo battle. NO3 is where it needs to be, but I'm still dosing PO4 twice / day. In preparation for going out of town next week I'd like to set it on my doser, however, I'm using Neophos which requires you to shake it. Is there a liquid phos that doesn't require a shake so I can auto dose?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm still in the early stages of my osteo battle. NO3 is where it needs to be, but I'm still dosing PO4 twice / day. In preparation for going out of town next week I'd like to set it on my doser, however, I'm using Neophos which requires you to shake it. Is there a liquid phos that doesn't require a shake so I can auto dose?

How about setting a small powerhead in the container to keep it mixed or will this degrade it?

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to start over since I was planning to upgrade to a much larger tank anyway. I don't want to throw out 50lbs of rock though. Curious if there's a way to kill the dinos on my live rock without killing the beneficial bacteria as well? If not, I think I'm going to sterilize it with muriatic acid before transferring it.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao 36W or 55W for a 40B with a 20 sump? I'll be upgrading the DT to an 80 within the year but hopefully would have good control of the dinos before that.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions and not trying to step on any toes so please PM me....does anyone think it's weird that this thread is still being promoted?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions and not trying to step on any toes so please PM me....does anyone think it's weird that this thread is still being promoted?
Not sure if it's being promoted per se but suggested in a Google search. Not uncommon for someone to say h202 helped their Dino's. So regards to the thread, if I search dinoflagellates and h202 dosings, I would assume the meta handlers would pick it up.

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm battle a round of dinos now by dosing nitrates and phosphates. My targets are 5ppm NO3 and .1ppm PO4.

NO3 is finally stable at 5ppm after of week of dosing KNO3. MY PO4 how is stubborn and keeps on dropping. I tested (hanna 736) this morning at 8am which read zero ppm. I dosed NA3PO4 and brought it up to .25ppm. I tested at 12 pm 4hrs later and my PO4 read .07ppm. Thats crazy that the tank is consuming that much PO4. 0.18ppm within 4 hrs??

The Dinos are going crazy, basically the ugly tank stage.

The corals looks fine but a lot of them are wrapped with the stringy dinos. This suxs

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats crazy that the tank is consuming that much PO4. 0.18ppm within 4 hrs??

It's pretty amazing, but not unusual at all – dose more more than the calculated rate if you're not detecting any residual PO4 after 24 hours.

I'd add at least +1 mL to each successive PO4 dose you do, maybe even a lot more depending on the volume of water you're dosing. Lacking PO4 in the water at this stage can be a big, big problem. There's no apparent downside to having a little too much.

Once you DO detect residual PO4 after 24 hours, then resume calculated maintenance doses for your target level.

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to monitor the PO4 every 4-6 hrs as to continue dosing to keep levels above .10ppm. The Dinoos have exploded and are everywhere. I suppose this is normal and the ugly stage, right?

Huntor0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microscope just delivered, Please assist with an ID.

Thanks for your help.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back