Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t got around to buying a microscope yet, but pretty sure I have Dinos. Kind of a light brown cobweb looking stuff, not super slimy.

4b954ab9dc1b96d8999f135260c355bd.jpg

This is what the water looks like after I turkey baste the rocks.

deb979b8ceb14bd5b75c0aace9d63c6f.jpg

Is Metroplex still a viable solution? I have some and considered trying it. My PH is currently 8.52 via my CO2 scrubber. Not really convinced that blackouts really solve the problem.

I have a UV that I pulled off my old setup I could try running for awhile if Metroplex isn’t an acceptable option.

My nutrients aren’t super low, NO3- 4. PO4 - 0.06

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the first post, there's a lot of very good information there that will really help narrow down and focus your plan of attack.
Also some ways you can get a better idea if you actually have dinos or not.

love2surf927

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m slowly making my way through this thread for the past few days. I noticed some dino-like algae about 10 days ago. Received my scope today and had a look, trouble is I don’t know what I’m looking at! Lol. I believe it’s Dino’s but I’d love some feedback on some of the more experienced folks on this thread, thanks in advance.

A7F934D3-C15C-4061-8EEE-0C88D9C58742.jpeg

0FFE6587-62D4-4FDA-9F84-0C4565964D37.jpeg

DE65ADA5-FBE1-4456-930B-19C9511AE6A3.jpeg

9DD6C35C-BAAB-44DB-9D52-0932C214F9CE.jpeg

54B25809-A3B5-4B6D-A2ED-9C3BA8F31501.jpeg

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw what appeared to be cyano followed on by dinos growing in my tank. After reading through some of these post I went ahead and positively identified the dinos after antibiotics were not killing it (assumed it was all cyano). Once I confirmed that I immediately heavily dosed pods and phyto. I also began dumping blocks of food at a time into the tank (90gal + 15gal sump). At the same time I blew away as much of the dinos off of the rocks and coral and reduced my lighting intensity and duration. I also replaced my felt filter socks with fresh ones. After two days of dosing pods and phyto, the dinos were about 90% decimated. After three days I cannot find visually any dinos left. I'm going to continue dosing and feeding, reducing the amount of each over the next several days/weeks.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw what appeared to be cyano followed on by dinos growing in my tank. After reading through some of these post I went ahead and positively identified the dinos after antibiotics were not killing it (assumed it was all cyano). Once I confirmed that I immediately heavily dosed pods and phyto. I also began dumping blocks of food at a time into the tank (90gal + 15gal sump). At the same time I blew away as much of the dinos off of the rocks and coral and reduced my lighting intensity and duration. I also replaced my felt filter socks with fresh ones. After two days of dosing pods and phyto, the dinos were about 90% decimated. After three days I cannot find visually any dinos left. I'm going to continue dosing and feeding, reducing the amount of each over the next several days/weeks.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m slowly making my way through this thread for the past few days. I noticed some dino-like algae about 10 days ago. Received my scope today and had a look, trouble is I don’t know what I’m looking at! Lol. I believe it’s Dino’s but I’d love some feedback on some of the more experienced folks on this thread, thanks in advance.

A7F934D3-C15C-4061-8EEE-0C88D9C58742.jpeg

0FFE6587-62D4-4FDA-9F84-0C4565964D37.jpeg

DE65ADA5-FBE1-4456-930B-19C9511AE6A3.jpeg

9DD6C35C-BAAB-44DB-9D52-0932C214F9CE.jpeg

54B25809-A3B5-4B6D-A2ED-9C3BA8F31501.jpeg

Those spherical blobs in the first pic - dinos. I'm no genius so I can't speak for the rest of it. I'd recommend doing what I did. Only cost me $100.

love2surf927

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stringy stuff in pic 1 could be cyano. Makes sense

I think you’re right, I can only notice the purplish color when I remove it from the tank and shine a flashlight on it. It’s certainly not all that color though. So I guess maybe it’s a combo of cyano and dinos.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re right, I can only notice the purplish color when I remove it from the tank and shine a flashlight on it. It’s certainly not all that color though. So I guess maybe it’s a combo of cyano and dinos.

That's what mine was. Once I killed all the cyano off with Chemiclean, all that remained were the dinos

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home a bit drunk last night and misread my PO4 test kit levels and dosed more NA3PO4. PO4 shot up to 0.54ppm but 12 hrs later dropped down to 0.15ppm.

Every tank is different but on average, how long does it typically take to get the tank PO4 levels stable? It's been a week for me now the dinos are everywhere. I'm blowing them off my corals everyday.

karo25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 weeks ago I added macros to my fuge. I got multiple types, Chaeto, Caulerpa Mexicana, Dragons Breath, Red Gracilaria and Codium. Everything was growing great except Chaeto. Phosphates plummeted while nitrates took awhile to go down so I started dosing Phosphate and used NO3PO4-x to help the Nitrates go down. Which worked for the Nitrates but I had difficulty raising Phosphates. Then I began to notice this snotty brown algae growing all over the macros. I'd take them out and clean them up almost daily. Macros were still continuing to grow and tank was clear of any algae that I could see. Then this past week I've begun to see this slightly bubbly brown icky stuff at the filter baffle on my sump and I've begun to detect this brownish snot in my display. I'm suspecting Dinos since it is covered in bubbles when the lights are on in the fuge. Here are a few pics I've taken.

20180520_134537_preview.jpeg
This is the surface of the water with lots of snotty bubble scum floating.

20180516_195700_preview.jpeg
overflow baffle in sump.

20180520_134520_preview.jpeg
top view of baffle

20180520_134618_preview.jpeg
snot on macros

20180520_134645_preview.jpeg

I apologize if I offend anyone by calling it snot, but after days of picking this off my micros, that's all I can think to call it.
I have some browning on the sand that has come and gone since the tank has been set up, just over a year ago. It's currently in a phase of showing on the sand so most likely I have more than one type.
And the last week I've noticed my zoas aren't opening fully. They have more of cupped look than usual and my frogspawn is not fluffed up as much. So thinking there may be some toxins going on from dinos.
I added a cup of Rox carbon to a media bag two days ago and placed that in my baffle but wondering if I should get my carbon reactor back out.

Microscope is on its way but until it arrives:

1. should I stop dosing NO3PO4-x ? My phosphates are currently 0.02 ppm(from dosing) and my nitrates are 10 ppm.
2. should I put the carbon in a reactor?
3. should I go ahead and order various pods?
4. should I toss out those macros ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

love2surf927

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it may be of value to mention since I don’t believe it’s been talked about here, Ostreopsis does carry Palytoxin and appears to in fact be the source of the toxins in zoanthids so definitely something to be aware of and use caution around.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some methods of carbon dosing seem less likely to over-do....namely vinegar. Strangely nobody but nobody (now that @Randy Holmes-Farley's tank is down) seems to dose vinegar anymore. Pellets are at the opposite end of the spectrum....they appear to be the easiest to over-do.

I still dose straight vinegar. One of the staples of my system. But I also run a RUGF so I must be nuts.

Side note I saw no impact running UV at different rates. Took it offline quite some time ago.

I still do nothing to control my dinos.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 weeks ago I added macros to my fuge. I got multiple types, Chaeto, Caulerpa Mexicana, Dragons Breath, Red Gracilaria and Codium. Everything was growing great except Chaeto. Phosphates plummeted while nitrates took awhile to go down so I started dosing Phosphate and used NO3PO4-x to help the Nitrates go down. Which worked for the Nitrates but I had difficulty raising Phosphates. Then I began to notice this snotty brown algae growing all over the macros. I'd take them out and clean them up almost daily. Macros were still continuing to grow and tank was clear of any algae that I could see. Then this past week I've begun to see this slightly bubbly brown icky stuff at the filter baffle on my sump and I've begun to detect this brownish snot in my display. I'm suspecting Dinos since it is covered in bubbles when the lights are on in the fuge. Here are a few pics I've taken.

20180520_134537_preview.jpeg
This is the surface of the water with lots of snotty bubble scum floating.

20180516_195700_preview.jpeg
overflow baffle in sump.

20180520_134520_preview.jpeg
top view of baffle

20180520_134618_preview.jpeg
snot on macros

20180520_134645_preview.jpeg

I apologize if I offend anyone by calling it snot, but after days of picking this off my micros, that's all I can think to call it.
I have some browning on the sand that has come and gone since the tank has been set up, just over a year ago. It's currently in a phase of showing on the sand so most likely I have more than one type.
And the last week I've noticed my zoas aren't opening fully. They have more of cupped look than usual and my frogspawn is not fluffed up as much. So thinking there may be some toxins going on from dinos.
I added a cup of Rox carbon to a media bag two days ago and placed that in my baffle but wondering if I should get my carbon reactor back out.

Microscope is on its way but until it arrives:

1. should I stop dosing NO3PO4-x ? My phosphates are currently 0.02 ppm(from dosing) and my nitrates are 10 ppm.
2. should I put the carbon in a reactor?
3. should I go ahead and order various pods?
4. should I toss out those macros ?

Thanks in advance.

Get pods, get phyto! ASAP

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my scope today and had a look, trouble is I don’t know what I’m looking at! Lol. I believe it’s Dino’s but I’d love some feedback on some of the more experienced folks on this thread, thanks in advance.

Looks like round coolia dinos, some type of cyano strands, and last pic is diatoms.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back