Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h2o2.jpg

So does H202 aka HYDROGEN PEROXIDE works or not ?
Why is this substance called obsolete now in here
The initial conversations were so positive and zero ill-effect

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h2o2.jpg

So does H202 aka HYDROGEN PEROXIDE works or not ?
Why is this substance called obsolete now in here
The initial conversations were so positive and zero ill-effect

Here's a search of this thread for peroxide so you can see the answers from when this was asked before.
Ditto for h2o2.

If you click either search, just scroll down on the page that comes up and click the "SEARCH" button at the bottom.

You can also go back to the first post and click the link to the old dino thread (the other old one...even bigger than the one you linked) and run the same searches there to see all the fails. Any documented wins were pretty much non-existent or very temporary. One-offs that claim success have proved to be anecdotal so far, and no more.

Even if it worked, it's contrary to what your tank needs....which is all back on the first post. :) :) :)

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dose straight vinegar. One of the staples of my system. But I also run a RUGF so I must be nuts.

Side note I saw no impact running UV at different rates. Took it offline quite some time ago.

I still do nothing to control my dinos.

Loved my RFUGF on my freshwater system back in the day so I'm not phobic like everyone else seems to be. :p

Have you ever documented your dino case anywhere? (i.e. pics from what you've ID'd, "methods" you've tried over time, results, etc?)

It sounds like you've been dealing with them for some time – and we've come a long way since then in terms of demystifying them just in the last year or two. Maybe it's time to say Bye? :)

(Unless you were saying you do nothing to control them since they aren't blooming anymore? Current pic??)

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved my RFUGF on my freshwater system back in the day so I'm not phobic like everyone else seems to be. [emoji14]

Have you ever documented your dino case anywhere? (i.e. pics from what you've ID'd, "methods" you've tried over time, results, etc?)

It sounds like you've been dealing with them for some time – and we've come a long way since then in terms of demystifying them just in the last year or two. Maybe it's time to say Bye? :)

(Unless you were saying you do nothing to control them since they aren't blooming anymore? Current pic??)
I've never had an issue with them or cyano unless I wanted too. It's been documented in this thread and others I believe in this forum and another. Biodiversity is what my tank seems to do well with.

Posted recent pics from last night in Paul's thread. I haven't seen anything recently posted any different then 8 months ago.

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/4750486

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I avoid WC when trying to get my N and P up? I'm one week into and was planning on a WC in the second week.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this in another thread, but got no responses. Can anyone help with an ID? I started this FOWLR with dry rock and dry sand, no corals, and got a dino bloom about 7 months in.

IMG_1566a.jpg

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted recent pics from last night in Paul's thread.

You made it sound like you are living with dino's. :D

You have an old mature tank so if they aren't blooming then your case doesnt really count – or at least your tank is an example of what folks here should be able to expect "down the road" when they are "post-dino".

I suspect the only time you notice them is in samples you put under the scope, right?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I avoid WC when trying to get my N and P up? I'm one week into and was planning on a WC in the second week.

You can dose N and P into your water change water to avoid dropping your levels in the display.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose N and P into your water change water to avoid dropping your levels in the display.

I do small daily water changes for this reason myself. I have it automated so it's pretty easy. I didn't like the swings I got when I did larger changes and since I dose no3 and PO4 I was finding that I had to check and adjust that along with Alk (I didn't worry much about cal and mag)

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been fighting Dinos for a while or at least 4 months now. I know my problem resulted from not having any nutrients in the system.
I had undetectable nitrates and undetectable Po4 according to my Hanna checker. My tank is less than a year old. It will make one year this September. I was able to increase my Nitrates by feeding more. I feed twice a day and I did not change my filter socks every two days like I normally do. I change them only once a week. By doing this I was able to get No3 up to 10ppm and I am fine with that for now. But I still lacked phosphates. I had to dose for phosphates. So now I have phosphates. I thought my Dinos would leave on their own but they did not. At this point I can say I finally have nutrients in the system. But i also noticed that when I blow off my rocks trying to clean up the Dinos from the rocks I have algae up under their. I just introduced phosphates into the system last week. I have had algae all along with the dinos. is it possible to have Algae without Phosphates? Please educate me. I am going to post pics of my dino strain for I.D once I get a scope which I hope to get it this week. Peroxide was only a band aid. I dosed peroxide and the dinos receded then came back with vengeance. Peroxide seems to have no effect on them now. I am pretty much at wits end. I can only hope to get a scope and get an ID for help.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made it sound like you are living with dino's. :D

You have an old mature tank so if they aren't blooming then your case doesnt really count – or at least your tank is an example of what folks here should be able to expect "down the road" when they are "post-dino".

I suspect the only time you notice them is in samples you put under the scope, right?
I wouldn't consider my tank mature yet. I have always considered a mature tank or successful tank to be at least 10 years old. It's almost there. Lost my first tank to a flood otherwise it would be over that point already.

My current tank has been fairly well documented from its beginnings in 2009. It's been moved twice and upgraded in size. Each time all water, rock, sand, life was transferred along.

I've been through lots of outbreaks over the years. Worse was bryopsis and several other hair algae. That lasted most of the tanks first couple years until I got into carbon dosing. I started with pellets before pellets were a thing using hobby molding plastic pellets. Then vinegar which I use to this day. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=292e35253beb8bb1fe978df342f43721&t=1830864&page=7

Along the same times I would go through phases of cyano then dino outbreaks which I can still produce. Either I've reproduced them in the past on purpose or by mistake. Like when I first got the automatic fish feeder by Neptune I was trying to program it while in my kids rooms. I came down to the tank later only to find I had dumped the entire contents of the feeder into the tank.

There's two things through the years that have helped. First HHGTTH, DON'T PANIC. Second, I've never given up. Third, just strive for some form of consistency which doesn't necessarily mean stable.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before I order I need to know what type of Microscope do I need 1200X these things can get costly. I just need it for Dino I.D
let me know thanks.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks followed your directions, tank looks much better and hopefully the beneficial will have a leg up after siphoning out all the junk

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this in another thread, but got no responses. Can anyone help with an ID? I started this FOWLR with dry rock and dry sand, no corals, and got a dino bloom about 7 months in.

Mostly Coolia dinos, 2 cells that are probably ostreopsis, and two long pointy diatoms.

what is HHGTTH?
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back