Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To confirm... I should raise nutrients WHILE still having Dinos? Won’t this urge them to spread further?
From my understanding it can to an extent. The key is that raising the nutrients also encourages other microfauna to flourish which in turn will outcompete the dinos.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To confirm... I should raise nutrients WHILE still having Dinos? Won’t this urge them to spread further?
My dinos took off after raising nutrients. But, just as fishbox said, other things will take off as well....including algae. My tank got much worse before it started getting better.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to post some before and after pics today. I was going thru some of my before and looking today and I just had to post what an awesome community this is. I was pointed in the right direction and this have sure changed. My lights are just coming and so I will post the after pics later but here is some before shots to show you guys how bad things had gotten. This is such and awesome community.

DSC01313.JPG

I will post the after pics when I get home. This just goes to show if you hang in there use the information provided by this great community you can get your tank the way you want it. Dinos can be defeated. Your tank can rebound. You don't have to do a reboot. I think my pics show just how bad off things were. I thank every poster here because if it were not for you guys I would not have been able to purchase new coral last week. More pics coming.

DSC01314.JPG

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to post some before and after pics today. I was going thru some of my before and looking today and I just had to post what an awesome community this is. I was pointed in the right direction and this have sure changed. My lights are just coming and so I will post the after pics later but here is some before shots to show you guys how bad things had gotten. This is such and awesome community.

DSC01313.JPG

I will post the after pics when I get home. This just goes to show if you hang in there use the information provided by this great community you can get your tank the way you want it. Dinos can be defeated. Your tank can rebound. You don't have to do a reboot. I think my pics show just how bad off things were. I thank every poster here because if it were not for you guys I would not have been able to purchase new coral last week. More pics coming.

DSC01314.JPG

Glad to hear you found success. Could you also share your before and after parameters and husbandry habits? What did you do to beat them?

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding it can to an extent. The key is that raising the nutrients also encourages other microfauna to flourish which in turn will outcompete the dinos.

+1 yes, raising nutrients will help as other microfauna will compete against the dinos. Happy to know your tank is improving.

awais98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha @Beardo
So Ive had my Zeovit tank running for 1.5 year now, had a LOT of high end sps, they were really beginning to catch speed grwing. and then came the dino..... battling for past 2 months....tried some routine mthdo, peroxide, dino x, lights, temp, nothing helped. LOST 90% of my expensive sps :( :( :( :(
Today I tried to ID the dino:
seems to me amphidium: here are the microscope pic at 100X

DINO-YES.jpg

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after raising my nitrates up from 0 to 10ppm and P04 from 0 to 0.50 and by no means should anyone raise theirs up that high but when I dosed for Po4 I dosed to much and they were at 2.50 but I have let them come down on their own. I removed my GFo and I am running carbon heavy in my BRS dual reactor. Carbon is very important because the toxins from the dinos will kill pods and certain snails. at 10ppm and 0.50 Po4 things seem to be getting much better. I am also using a Jebao 55w UV I purchased from amazon. I run it opposite of my lighting. My lights run from 4pm - 11pm with a 30 minute ramp. Things seems to be going in the right direction now as I don't have all that hairy dino situation going on. The pics were taken 3 maybe 3.5 weeks ago. I am still working to get this out of my system but it is nice to see I am gaining the upper hand on this battle.
Please excuse all the blueness I will order gel filters next.

t3.JPG

DSC01326.JPG

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive had my Zeovit tank running for 1.5 year now, had a LOT of high end sps, they were really beginning to catch speed grwing. and then came the dino..... battling for past 2 months....tried some routine mthdo, peroxide, dino x, lights, temp, nothing helped. LOST 90% of my expensive sps :( :( :( :(
Check first post of this thread. Address nutrients - elevate PO4 first, then NO3 by dosing, not overfeeding.
Halt zeovit for now, and all forms of carbon dosing, Run GAC for toxins.
These dinos kill coral fast because they attach directly to coral from out of the water column. That also means they can be targeted in the water column by UV etc.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I look to be Dino free!
My nitrate is 50ppm. With 0.1ppm phosphate. Now that I have things under control should I add more phosphate to drop the nitrate back down to 5ppm or start carbon dosing again just to bring it down and then stop. Guess I could just do water changes. After all it’s been 8 months since I did one. E erything looks pretty happy so I’m in no hurry to do anything. Hey if you want to keep dinos growing just add iron... they love it. My control tank is a Dino factory. I’m kind of done with dinos so I’m going to treat the control tank back to a holding tank.

Last, I still have like zero algae growing even at those nutrient levels. I get a light dust of green algae on the glass but that’s it. Count me lucky or should I get some and add it back in?

Oh my filter sock doesn’t plug now after weeks of running.
The black dust from the uv unit plastic breaking down ended once I made sure that there was no air in the tube. It was heating the plastic. I removed the titanium sheet. Was not needed.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cs2006873

It is possible I peroxide treated my tank without knowing I did so. While the titanium was not in the alloy described nor was ethanol there, a small amoun5 may have been introduced. Will be interesting to see if my dinos return with the titanium sheet removed from the uv sterilizer. After all 55w is giant dose so even an inefficient process could make significant peroxide. Don’t own opr meter anymore. Broke probe.

Andeyking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbish video I know but this is the best I can get with a cheap microscope.
Any chance of an ID?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate is 50ppm. With 0.1ppm phosphate. ...
Hey if you want to keep dinos growing just add iron... they love it. My control tank is a Dino factory. I’m kind of done with dinos so I’m going to treat the control tank back to a holding tank.

What source/form/ level of iron did you provide?
Nice result.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My nitrate is 50ppm. With 0.1ppm phosphate. Now that I have things under control should I add more phosphate to drop the nitrate back down to 5ppm or start carbon dosing again just to bring it down and then stop. Guess I could just do water changes. After all it’s been 8 months since I did one. E erything looks pretty happy so I’m in no hurry to do anything. Hey if you want to keep dinos growing just add iron... they love it. My control tank is a Dino factory. I’m kind of done with dinos so I’m going to treat the control tank back to a holding tank.

Last, I still have like zero algae growing even at those nutrient levels. I get a light dust of green algae on the glass but that’s it. Count me lucky or should I get some and add it back in?

Oh my filter sock doesn’t plug now after weeks of running.
The black dust from the uv unit plastic breaking down ended once I made sure that there was no air in the tube. It was heating the plastic. I removed the titanium sheet. Was not needed.

Since Dinos love iron this would be a good reason not to overdose GFO in your tank. I know I provided a heavier dose of GFO in my dual reactor from BRS. This would explain a lot.

brentsum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 0.02$, I had a bad dino outbreak in a relatively new biocube 32. I raised nutrients slowly and did several blackouts to knock them down. I then slowly raised lights (I have Steves LED's) and began to notice something interesting. My microfauna began to explode, I had tons of copepods, amphipods, and smaller isopods. As I raised lighting the dinos seemed to respond by increasing during the day only to mostly go away at night. Finally I noticed the dinos were to returning at all and I seem to be back to normal and dino free. I should point out that I have a fishless tank, I do corals and inverts only. I think that's what allowed the pods to flourish and begin to slowly get rid of the dinos.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back