Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I remember reading I should not clean the glass?

If that's correct, why not and when SHOULD I clean the glass?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for not cleaning the glass is too allow other algea to grow and out compete the dinos ..i would say wait till you see a decrease in dinos ...

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have a forest on the glass before that happens.
I won't be able to see my poor fish.
I’d clean it. I clean mine. I have plenty of algae everywhere else in the tank. I want to see my fish.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if that has already been spelled out. I am looking to fully eradicate Dino's from a system. I used to have a chart saved that was a research paper on concentrations of bleach that would kill all dins and cysts, but can't seem to find it. I was thinking of bleaching the system followed be full fresh water followed by air drying. I am at the point where I do not care what I have to do in order to disinfect the dins from the system I'm just looking at what is needed for complete eradication without chances of reinfection? Thank you guys for your time.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if that has already been spelled out. I am looking to fully eradicate Dino's from a system. I used to have a chart saved that was a research paper on concentrations of bleach that would kill all dins and cysts, but can't seem to find it. I was thinking of bleaching the system followed be full fresh water followed by air drying. I am at the point where I do not care what I have to do in order to disinfect the dins from the system I'm just looking at what is needed for complete eradication without chances of reinfection? Thank you guys for your time.
Eradication is impossible if you plan on adding new life to the system. You could theoretically dose bleach for today, eradicate tomorrow, only to introduce more the next day.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eradication is impossible if you plan on adding new life to the system. You could theoretically dose bleach for today, eradicate tomorrow, only to introduce more the next day.

I totally get that if dins are reintroduced to a system that it's the same game over again. At this point I am just looking for a clean the system and get it back running and have no dinos if theoretically they were never reintroduced. I remember a research study on eradicating dins in water systems of boats. There was a concentration of bleach that would kill dins and cysts. I am also wondering if air drying would kill cysts on something like equipment or rock given a period of time for example.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get that if dins are reintroduced to a system that it's the same game over again. At this point I am just looking for a clean the system and get it back running and have no dinos if theoretically they were never reintroduced. I remember a research study on eradicating dins in water systems of boats. There was a concentration of bleach that would kill dins and cysts. I am also wondering if air drying would kill cysts on something like equipment or rock given a period of time for example.
So you want to break the system down, clean and air dry the tank?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i kind of understand what you are asking but considering we see dinos with a microscope, they can hide in cracks that can only be seen withna microscope. Air drying rocks would only kill surface bacteria and any moisture in the cracks would allow the cysts to survive.

Your only option is healthy creature rich live rock. Bleach would kill off some of those organisms.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to totally break down a system. Take everything out of it. Throw away all of the livestock. Bleach the system, fresh water rinse it. Dry it out. Like whatever I have to do to be in theory dino free. @reeferfoxx. Juan kind of also wondering how much bleach do I need to use, a cup per gallon, 4 cups i.e.. what concentration of chlorine will kill dino cysts.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to totally break down a system. Take everything out of it. Throw away all of the livestock. Bleach the system, fresh water rinse it. Dry it out. Like whatever I have to do to be in theory dino free. @reeferfoxx. Juan kind of also wondering how much bleach do I need to use, a cup per gallon, 4 cups i.e.. what concentration of chlorine will kill dino cysts.
Gotcha. Run 1:18 bleach:water through the tank and equipment. Let everything air dry for a couple days. Thats it.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my original bout w Osti in May. Dinos returned yesterday.. please ID

Its still ostre. If you ran UV either you disconnected it, dead bulb, or you let nutrients zero out again.

FaithKlim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my original bout w Osti in May. Dinos returned yesterday.. please ID
Pic & vid attached
e23d5c4102dc51a31236827e5af1c29d.jpg

FaithKlim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its still ostre. If you ran UV either you disconnected it, dead bulb, or you let nutrients zero out again.
I've had UV running entire time but moved pump out of display into sump. It's back in display now. PO4 steady at .08-.12, however NO3 dropped to 2-4. Elevated back to 10

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had UV running entire time but moved pump out of display into sump. It's back in display now. PO4 steady at .08-.12, however NO3 dropped to 2-4. Elevated back to 10
Are you dosing extra trace elements, having salinity swings, parameter swings or anything of the sort? Sounds like a stability problem.

FaithKlim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing extra trace elements, having salinity swings, parameter swings or anything of the sort? Sounds like a stability problem.
I dont dose anything except fish food lol. Parameters have been stable except I hadn't tested no3 in weeks, ... thanks for your help

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont dose anything except fish food lol. Parameters have been stable except I hadn't tested no3 in weeks, ... thanks for your help
Sorry if im unable to pin point the reason for the rebloom. I hope i helped with looking into possible areas of concern?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just could not take it.

I cleaned the glass. I turned my flow WAAAAAY up. 2 Neptune Wav pumps and a Maxspect Gyre all on 100%.
I put extra filter pads and polishing pads in my filter cup to catch whatever this stuff was that was on the glass.

Now I'm back to monitoring the sandbed. If it gets worse, I will let the glass get all built up again. I will also keep an eye out for a rock covered with healthy algae that I can add to the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back