Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Dino outbreak. Found the source had tons of detritus in sump. Cleaned it all out siphoned sand dosed vibrant once and it looks to be clearing up so far. Second tank I've had that vibrant did work with brown algae on sand and rocks . Just keep eye on n / p

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Dino outbreak. Found the source had tons of detritus in sump. Cleaned it all out siphoned sand dosed vibrant once and it looks to be clearing up so far. Second tank I've had that vibrant did work with brown algae on sand and rocks . Just keep eye on n / p

So all you had to do was clean out your sump? What are your N/P levels? One dose of vibrant combined with cleaning your sump and all your dinos disappeared? I wish my case was that easy!

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that when my nitrates get too low and I increase my KNO3 dosing my PO4 consumption goes up and visa versa! Dose one, I HAVE to dose the other!

I dose both, nitrates are going up and phosphate down. So im gonna go ahead and increase to po4 dose since my no3 is rising :)

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW from my personal experience, if NO3 is HIGH, dosing PO4 will always bring down NO3. Also noticed that my NO3 is high my PO4 is really low, which, I'd consider 0 at times. Just my observation.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet with the increase in PO4 dosing you'll see a need to bring NO3 dosing up too!
Probably :)
FWIW from my personal experience, if NO3 is HIGH, dosing PO4 will always bring down NO3. Also noticed that my NO3 is high my PO4 is really low, which, I'd consider 0 at times. Just my observation.
Its not high, i just see an increase in no3 and decrease in po4. :)

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are battling Dino, I think you may need to be close to 10ppm NO3 and your PO4 needs to be 0.10ppm.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, not much flow at all.

Your refugium is running out of nitrates due to too little flow from the main tank then! Neat! :D

This is not consistent with dinoflagellate cases we're familiar with.....did you confirm under a microscope, or could it have been something similar like diatoms or cyano+chrysophytes, etc?

Funny thing, the more po4 i dose, the lower it gets o_Oo_O

The dino's are working actively and passively against your dosing efforts, so don't be so mild in your effort! :) (Not kidding here....the dino's have been dosing your tank with a hard carbon source and bacteria are sucking down the N and P trying to break it down. You need to overcome this effect so ALL THE OTHER MICROBES can live too.)

I know, but i wanto dose it up to avoid chocking the system :)

I would not worry under the current circumstances......you have a system that has elevated nutrients, but depleted N and P.

Restoring P levels will not hurt anything, but it WILL get things growing again!

Most importantly though, you might get ZERO suppressive effects vs dino's until PO4 is consistently over 0.10 ppm.

For that reason, I would add 1 mL to your PO4 dose every time you come back to test and find levels at less than 0.10 ppm.

≥ 0.10 ppm is the short term goal. 5-10 ppm of NO3 seems like a good range to go with that PO4 level, but more would be OK – don't let NO3 bottom out either. You would very much like to see some cyano and green algae growing. :)

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry under the current circumstances......you have a system that has elevated nutrients, but depleted N and P.

Restoring P levels will not hurt anything, but it WILL get things growing again!

Most importantly though, you might get ZERO suppressive effects vs dino's until PO4 is consistently over 0.10 ppm.

For that reason, I would add 1 mL to your PO4 dose every time you come back to test and find levels at less than 0.10 ppm.

≥ 0.10 ppm is the short term goal. 5-10 ppm of NO3 seems like a good range to go with that PO4 level, but more would be OK – don't let NO3 bottom out either. You would very much like to see some cyano and green algae growing. :)

Been adding ~0.04 ppm daily and it decreased, have upped it to 0.03 morning and evening, so i guess i should up the dose to atleast 0.05 every morning and evening?

[Edit] Other microbal life is present, have small patches of green cyano, green film algae, corals are looking pretty good actually. Especially the LPS. Some sort or brown/green hairalgae

Last edited:

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what it is. Brown snotty powder . Went to Mexico for a week and some change came back and levels were bottomed out and brOwn all over sand . Find source of rotting organics. Bacteria eats away brown algae . Dump seachem P in same time keep n p higher stir sand put on filter socks

Last edited:

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my kid's scope! ID Please!

VieqPUQ.jpg

mJG708y.jpg

XmWaJkk.jpg

QfWn7AF.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back