Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It will work fine as long as you have at least 1 watt of UV for every 3 gallons of tank water. So you’ll need 70 watts or so.

What I did for my 180 gallon tank was run both a 55 watt jebao (inexpensive) and a 57 watt aqua UV(more $$) during my big dino episode. After my dinos subsided, I now only run the aqua uv unit.

Have your dinos been identified? UV is not effective for amphidinium.

Cool thanks!

Yeah, I got ostreopsis, so im looking to size this up correctly

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just cleaned my 55w jeboa UV sterilizer and the amount of salt that came out was ridiculous. No way that it was working as well as it should.
Might be worth checking yours if it's been running a while. Mine was running for just 6 months.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that from others. Oddly, mine was perfectly clean of any salts when I inspected mine after about 6 months. I did find some black specks, presumably from the the breakdown of the shell of the unit.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me what size pump/flow you’re putting through this?
Its actually a small power head, i'm not sure the GPH for it but it isn't much. My guess would be like 150 to 200 gph.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did for my 180 gallon tank was run both a 55 watt jebao (inexpensive) and a 57 watt aqua UV(more $$) during my big dino episode. After my dinos subsided, I now only run the aqua uv unit.
Quoting for agreement. I like the idea of using big cheap watts during the outbreak and smaller higher quality for more consistent occasional use.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JAMSOURY , thanks for the video, very interesting. Especially vodka dosing, something we have all been told not to do! Bacteria dosing is something I just started and again some people say you should does bacteria and some say you should not be dosing bacteria!

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@JAMSOURY , thanks for the video, very interesting. Especially vodka dosing, something we have all been told not to do! Bacteria dosing is something I just started and again some people say you should does bacteria and some say you should not be dosing bacteria!

I agree! I’m also wondering if all corals (especially sps) will be fine after the hydrogen peroxide and vodka dosing?

It would be interesting if anyone is able to attain long term success with this method without raising nutrients to battle the dinos.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just seems like walking multiple very narrow tightropes for a very long time. Also I went the bacteria route for a couple of months and man it got expensive. Ordering bacteria every week put put a pretty big dent in my reefing budget.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen that video and am tempted to try it if mine come back. The only issue I have with peroxide is it can be hard on shrimp, depending on how much gets back into the tank.

One for me , one for you Vodka dosing though :D

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This just seems like walking multiple very narrow tightropes for a very long time. Also I went the bacteria route for a couple of months and man it got expensive. Ordering bacteria every week put put a pretty big dent in my reefing budget.

I agree, with this method, with the stuff listed is around $50-60. Still worth it considering how much damage dinos can do. Mine keep coming back if my nutrients hit low, so I may give this a try.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, with this method, with the stuff listed is around $50-60. Still worth it considering how much damage dinos can do. Mine keep coming back if my nutrients hit low, so I may give this a try.
I definitely think it can work given the right circumstances. But it didn't for me and I gave it a pretty good go. That's why I spent a lot of money on bacteria kept trying to give it more time. Silicate doseing was what turned the corner for me. And it was pennies compared to multiple bottles of waste away and re-fresh.

3000kelvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd add to this thread since it helped me greatly when researching my dinoflagellate problem.

I assumed I had a diatom bloom in my tank until the snotty mucus started to appear. After some research I realized it was in fact dinoflagellate. I don't have a microscope so I'm not sure which strain I had. After much reading I decided that my plan of attack was going to be with Dr. Tim's products. My outbreak was bad, but not as bad as some of the photos I saw posted in this thread and in other places online.

I followed this recipe card and after 12 days, I believe the treatment was a success.

I did a 3-day black, dosing Dr. Tim's Re-Fresh as prescribed. Once I removed the cover from my tank, I went to work scrubbing as much rock as possible with an old toothbrush since I found some small snot patches on a few places on my live rock. Since I have a 29g BioCube, I purchased the BioCube skimmer at my LFS and ran it for a few hours starting on Day 4. Once I finished the treatment, I dosed Vibrant aquarium cleaner and it appears that the dinos are gone.

As for my fish, shrimp and snails, they survived but I did lose my blue-legged hermit crabs and after the blackout, my corals looked great.

Hoping this helps someone.

Dsantamaria29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need Help With ID:
Off Glass,
fl1Eygg2TiWcvAKzokMWVA.jpg
Off Rocks
NNXevLZLTs6Lf%Ox9qw7%A.jpg
This was off the Sandbed..

rSdPRW9IQUuBmTTdSZYzUA.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the fittings and pipe I needed to hook up my new Aqua UV unit and retire my beast Jaebo. Still not pretty but much less ugly than the big ole Jaebo. Plus I cut notches for the plumbing and I don't have a hole for my fish to jump out of. I can also open the end door again to change my carbon more easily. Still trying to clean it up a little.

20190607_184550.jpg

20190607_184558.jpg

20190607_184606.jpg

Last edited:

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the fittings and pipe I needed to hook up my new Aqua UV unit and retire my beast Jaebo. Still not pretty but much less ugly than the big ole Jaebo. Plus I cut notches for the plumbing and I don't have a hole for my fish to jump out of. I can also open the end door again to change my carbon more easily. Still trying to clean it up a little.

20190607_184550.jpg

20190607_184558.jpg

20190607_184606.jpg
Looks nice. Hopefully someday I can pull mine off completely

Neil57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get an ID on these Dinos. They have been taking over my tank lately. I have elevated my Nitrate to 14 to 16 by dosing potasium nitrate and the Phosphate is .04 and I started dosing phosphates to get it a little higher. I have also been dosing hydrogen peroxide as well. I seem to have reduced the amount of dinos but they are still showing up. Here are a couple pictures of what I have in the tank. I haven't figured out how to load the video yet. What more can I do to get rid of these things??

IMG_20190531_182716590_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190601_141646457.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are ostreopsis, although I can't be sure there aren't any other species in there. A video of them moving rather than a still would help figure out if it's only ostreopsis.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190607_184550.jpg

20190607_184558.jpg

20190607_184606.jpg

Which UV is that? I’m going to eventually try ditching my Jebao and trying setup in the cabinet but right now everything is fine so just waiting a bit to recover some $$$
f202f0503eaaa30301da4a084a125c94.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back