Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Neil57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get an ID on these Dinos. They have been taking over my tank lately. I have elevated my Nitrate to 14 to 16 by dosing potasium nitrate and the Phosphate is .04 and I started dosing phosphates to get it a little higher. I have also been dosing hydrogen peroxide as well. I seem to have reduced the amount of dinos but they are still showing up. Here are a couple pictures of what I have in the tank. I haven't figured out how to load the video yet. What more can I do to get rid of these things??

Here is a video on that I was able to take.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which UV is that? I’m going to eventually try ditching my Jebao and trying setup in the cabinet but right now everything is fine so just waiting a bit to recover some $$$
f202f0503eaaa30301da4a084a125c94.jpg

It's an Aqua UV 57 watt. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WRN48I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Neil57 I can't see the post you quoted. Can you re-post your video. I commented on your pictures but forgot to quote you. What I see on the pictures are ostreopsis which are very susceptable to UV. A video would be good though to make sure there aren't other species.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo hoo! Just did my nightly parameter checks and my Alkalinity is doing this.

Screenshot (20).png

May not mean anything but every time my dinos flare up my alkalinity climbs as demand goes to nothing. Increased my alk dosing a little and we'll see where it is tomorrow. Maybe placebo effect but It looks like PE is much better on my Pink Lemonade and WD!

Neil57

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Neil57 I can't see the post you quoted. Can you re-post your video. I commented on your pictures but forgot to quote you. What I see on the pictures are ostreopsis which are very susceptable to UV. A video would be good though to make sure there aren't other species.

@saltyhog I think I got the video posted. I'm still trying to figure this out.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting what I thought was diatoms for 5 months until my teacher was able to id my dinos as amphidimium? Is that how you spell it? I know uv does nothing against this. What can I do to get rid of these dinos? Was not able to get pics from the microscope. I have some pics of stringy dinos floating in the water after scrubbing the rocks I can post. Any help is appreciated.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a thread dedicated solely for this species. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/amphidinium-dinoflagellate-treatment-methods.365850/

Check it out but the principles are keeping nutrients up, dosing silicates, manual removal when you can, increasing biodiversity and one of the latest is putting a piece of chaeto from your sump on the worst patches and weighing it down with a small rock. If you have pictures of your microscopic ID post them on here too!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo hoo! Just did my nightly parameter checks and my Alkalinity is doing this.

Screenshot (20).png

May not mean anything but every time my dinos flare up my alkalinity climbs as demand goes to nothing. Increased my alk dosing a little and we'll see where it is tomorrow. Maybe placebo effect but It looks like PE is much better on my Pink Lemonade and WD!
Agree. Good news likely! I think think the sps PE means something here.

So you replaced the jebao 55 watt with the aqua uv 57 watt right? Do you do anything to maintain your sand?

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Good news likely! I think think the sps PE means something here.

So you replaced the jebao 55 watt with the aqua uv 57 watt right? Do you do anything to maintain your sand?

I haven't done much. I was stirring the sandbed late in the lighting period to try to induce the prorocentrum to go water borne but haven't done that for a while. I did vacuum my sand yesterday while doing my first water change in a few weeks. The sand doesn't look bad at all. There is no mat or anything I can blow off to sample, just a little brown dusting in places. The only way I can sample it is to scoop a tsp of the top layer and blast it with my pipette till the water is cloudy and put a drop of that on a slide. When I did that yesterday I saw mainly diatoms with 1-3 prorocentrum per field at 250x.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circling back to this test to distinguish dinos from diatoms. I think it'll work. I need some help confirming.
Does anyone with an armored dinoflagellate like ostreopsis or prorocentrum have a nice mass of brown dino they could sample for an experiment and a blacklight bulb (fluorescent, not LED)?
20190521_124628.jpg

So here's the details if anyone wants to confirm that it works on pest dinos (I've only done it on symbiotic dinos).
Dino Freeze-Thaw Test
DinoFreezeThaw.png

A) Sample a clump of pure dinos - cyano will be a false positive (works even better if dinos are in freshwater, but will be ok in tank water)
B) completely freeze and then fully thaw the sample. Note the water got a little orangey from the dino pigment.
C) place near a fluorescent blacklight - not an LED - and it ought to glow red.
D) if you filter out the cells and debris through filter paper or tight paper towels the orange pigment may be clearer
E) & F) and the red fluorescence will be brighter without the debris scattering the light.

Compare to doing the same test on Diatoms
DiatomFreezeThaw.jpg

A) Diatoms from my aquarium glass
B) scraped off glass and collected in beaker
C) microscope image appears to confirm diatoms
D) Concentrated a bunch of cells down and froze then thawed them
E) Filtered cells to the bottom, the clear liquid is just slightly yellow
F) and gives no fluorescent red response at all to the fluorescent blacklight.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I regularly see micro bubbles clinging to my rocks here and there and so just took a swab of the rocks with a q-tip and bam other type of Dino and maybe one ostreopsis. It’s minor and doesn’t seem to be affecting the tank negatively. I think the UV is keeping them at bay and all the corals are doing ok and growing. But is it safe to say they will always remain in our systems once introduced? I have some corals that I will eventually need to frag and trade/sell/give away. How can I do this with a clear conscience knowing I have dinos? Maybe I’ll just have to trade/sell or give freebies to you all on this thread. I’ll be like: “You’ve got dinos? You get a frag, you get a frag, you get a frag!”

What is the skinny thing next to the Dino? Diatom?

2227dbb6dc3a17d27e0a4efc177110a5.jpeg

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circling back to this test to distinguish dinos from diatoms. I think it'll work. I need some help confirming.

So here's the details if anyone wants to confirm that it works on pest dinos (I've only done it on symbiotic dinos).
Dino Freeze-Thaw Test
DinoFreezeThaw.png

A) Sample a clump of pure dinos - cyano will be a false positive (works even better if dinos are in freshwater, but will be ok in tank water)
B) completely freeze and then fully thaw the sample. Note the water got a little orangey from the dino pigment.
C) place near a fluorescent blacklight - not an LED - and it ought to glow red.
D) if you filter out the cells and debris through filter paper or tight paper towels the orange pigment may be clearer
E) & F) and the red fluorescence will be brighter without the debris scattering the light.

Compare to doing the same test on Diatoms
DiatomFreezeThaw.jpg

A) Diatoms from my aquarium glass
B) scraped off glass and collected in beaker
C) microscope image appears to confirm diatoms
D) Concentrated a bunch of cells down and froze then thawed them
E) Filtered cells to the bottom, the clear liquid is just slightly yellow
F) and gives no fluorescent red response at all to the fluorescent blacklight.

While I had these on my microscope I used a little black light on them and they do glow although I could t get a good focus in the dark. Check it out.

5d0250978234dacd1a4757eacfe417e2.jpeg
3cdb090e7cc1426f558303b4040afd78.jpeg

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I regularly see micro bubbles clinging to my rocks here and there and so just took a swab of the rocks with a q-tip and bam other type of Dino and maybe one ostreopsis. It’s minor and doesn’t seem to be affecting the tank negatively. I think the UV is keeping them at bay and all the corals are doing ok and growing. But is it safe to say they will always remain in our systems once introduced? I have some corals that I will eventually need to frag and trade/sell/give away. How can I do this with a clear conscience knowing I have dinos? Maybe I’ll just have to trade/sell or give freebies to you all on this thread. I’ll be like: “You’ve got dinos? You get a frag, you get a frag, you get a frag!”

What is the skinny thing next to the Dino? Diatom?

2227dbb6dc3a17d27e0a4efc177110a5.jpeg

Interested to hear peoples take on fragging stuff. Personally I think they've always been in my tank....for years but who knows.

The skinny thing is a diatom, same species that's dominant in my tank. I don't think that's ostreopsis, maybe prorocentrum?

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I had these on my microscope I used a little black light on them and they do glow although I could t get a good focus in the dark. Check it out.

5d0250978234dacd1a4757eacfe417e2.jpeg
3cdb090e7cc1426f558303b4040afd78.jpeg
Whoa, super cool. And I believe all if not most tanks have dinos. The conditions just weren't right for a bloom. And if a tank is dino free how long will it likely stay that way with years of stocking corals fish and cleanup crews.
It's like saying there's no dinos in the ocean because there's no red tide right now.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to hear peoples take on fragging stuff. Personally I think they've always been in my tank....for years but who knows.

The skinny thing is a diatom, same species that's dominant in my tank. I don't think that's ostreopsis, maybe prorocentrum?

That’s a new type I found. I didn’t really get many ostreopsis on the swab

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd add to this thread since it helped me greatly when researching my dinoflagellate problem.

I followed this recipe card and after 12 days, I believe the treatment was a success.

Hoping this helps someone.

I think we’ll find that bacterial interventions will be powerful, and helpful if done right. I don’t feel like it’s needed for types that go into the water, but stubborn sandbed only kinds (Amphidinium) are hard to target otherwise.

Thanks for report.

I agree! I’m also wondering if all corals (especially sps) will be fine after the hydrogen peroxide and vodka dosing?

It would be interesting if anyone is able to attain long term success with this method without raising nutrients to battle the dinos.

I haven’t finished but I’ve gone halfway through the video. There’s lots in it worth taking a close look at. Realize that the vodka / peroxide are being used entirely as a gas / brake mechanism to speed up and slow down the bacterial action.
One bacterial blend is meant to eat the crud, and remineralize it into inorganic nutrients N and P. Another blend is meant to consume the nutrients from the water(?)
Lots to go through. I’d like to see it taken apart and run by the folks around here that understand the bacterial activity deeply. See if all the theory is sound and we can take a look behind the curtain a little bit and analyze it further than bacterial magic in bottles.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back