Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Josh Baranowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on the bright side -- they are not toxic critters like the others. Just ugly. These take a long time to be outcompeted so don't beat urself up too much about seeing little progress.

Thanks! They seem to have some effect on some of my snails (mostly stuns them, stomach ache? lol), my conchs absolutely devour them though. So far the only real downside is they have grown on/killed most of what few sps I have.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 3.

But nutrients to 5ppm NO3 and 0.11 PO4 via dosing. Jebao 55w plumbed into the DT. Yesterday I added some flooss on a ziptie (it picked some up). Temp to 81F last 3 days.

Sandbed isn't looking too terribly much better, rocks seem less infested. Hammers and zoas are still mad (hammers more so).

Gonna give it till the weekend then re-evaluate... I'll be honest, was hoping for more of an improvement given Ostreopsis and UV. I'm actually considering ordering a Lifegard UV to replace jebao, just to know what I'm getting plus the jebao casing is starting to deteriorate after just 4 months (getting Blass stuff in the water when sinsing the UV out).

One day at a time.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! They seem to have some effect on some of my snails (mostly stuns them, stomach ache? lol), my conchs absolutely devour them though. So far the only real downside is they have grown on/killed most of what few sps I have.
Hmmm. Sorry about the SPS. Did the dinos strip the water of PO4? I hadn't known them to prey on SPS. More likely the SPS starved out?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3.

But nutrients to 5ppm NO3 and 0.11 PO4 via dosing. Jebao 55w plumbed into the DT. Yesterday I added some flooss on a ziptie (it picked some up). Temp to 81F last 3 days.

Sandbed isn't looking too terribly much better, rocks seem less infested. Hammers and zoas are still mad (hammers more so).

Gonna give it till the weekend then re-evaluate... I'll be honest, was hoping for more of an improvement given Ostreopsis and UV. I'm actually considering ordering a Lifegard UV to replace jebao, just to know what I'm getting plus the jebao casing is starting to deteriorate after just 4 months (getting Blass stuff in the water when sinsing the UV out).

One day at a time.

I certainly won't deter you from ordering the Lifegard, but maybe encourage you to hang in there for a while longer. I saw results within a week or two, but for some it takes a little longer. A 24-48 hour blackout might help get your ostreopsis off their butts and into the WC.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my osteo are only on parts of my sand. haven't got to corals or rocks. all corals and nem are as healthy as puffed up as they've ever been. Still dosing h202 bacter7 and using green machine uv light daily.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I certainly won't deter you from ordering the Lifegard, but maybe encourage you to hang in there for a while longer. I saw results within a week or two, but for some it takes a little longer. A 24-48 hour blackout might help get your ostreopsis off their butts and into the WC.

Is it out of character for Ostreopsis to not produce any bubbles? I haven't seen any bubbles the entire time, but under the scope is definitely looks like ostreopsis.

Josh Baranowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Sorry about the SPS. Did the dinos strip the water of PO4? I hadn't known them to prey on SPS. More likely the SPS starved out?

Nope, PO4 has never been a problem in my tank, always been around 0.1 (lowest I ever saw was 0.02). Nitrates on the other hand have rarely ever been detectable on my test kit until recently. Worked them up to ~10ppm over the past couple weeks.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it out of character for Ostreopsis to not produce any bubbles? I haven't seen any bubbles the entire time, but under the scope is definitely looks like ostreopsis.

If you have a lot of flow -- or if they are tending toward high flow areas -- then not unusual that they cannot hold bubbles.

My SPS frag system had them a few times but the flow in there is strong they could not hold bubbles unless I really looked around for a deadish spot for flow.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have a lot of flow -- or if they are tending toward high flow areas -- then not unusual that they cannot hold bubbles.

My SPS frag system had them a few times but the flow in there is strong they could not hold bubbles unless I really looked around for a deadish spot for flow.

I have MP40s in a 120 at 25% on lagoon... I guess it's strong enough to knock bubbles out everywhere...

Come to think of it, the only time I've seen bubbles was after feeding where return and power heads were off for a while. But I always thought they showed up due to return kicking on and forcing a bunch of bubbles into DT and th getting trapped. Will have to test, maybe tomorrow... Wonder how long it would take for bubbles to form.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what percentage of folks had luck battling dinos with any of the methods in the old Dino thread but it's obviously a very low percentage, so I'd like refresh folks on the natural alternatives and lay out three areas of info:
  • some of the factors that contribute to a dino outbreak
  • how to avoid common dino outbreaks
  • and what do if your tank is already having an outbreak
Let's get started!

Common Contributing Factors
Some of the most common factors that contribute to the dino outbreaks we cover in this thread are:
  • the tank being new, rock being immature or the tank being otherwise highly disturbed, such as by other harsh tank treatments
  • hard core nutrient reduction tools being used, such as
    • organic carbon dosing
    • excess "bio media"
    • algae filtration
    • nutrient adsorbing media like GFO
These four factors, or excess nutrient removal generally, play – usually in combination; rarely just one factor alone – pretty directly into dino's conversion to the blooming, phagotrophic, mat forming, toxin-producing side of their nature.
  • Starvation Is Their Cue
    • Dino's seem to prefer life as autotrophic epiphytes on macro algae – chaeto morpha seems to be one of their favorite types to host in. (Maybe this fact can be useful to us; maybe sometimes chaeto ought not be used, or used with special consideration)
    • For several reasons, dino's seem to be terrible at nutrient uptake. This means they are more prone to starvation than many or most other microorganisms they have to compete with.....especially bacteria, which can scavenge free nutrients down to CRAZY low levels...low enough to starve out other microbes or algae.
    • With their protective mucus mats, potential to generate wicked toxins, and ability to survive not only by way of photosynthesis and dissolved nutrients, but alternately, when times get tough, by "eating their neighbors". (The least of their tricks.)
    • Dino's generally gain a competitive edge against their competitors AND their predators in a nutrient-starved environment. Keep reading!
How To Avoid Having A Dino Outbreak
In a nutshell, here's how to avoid dino outbreaks and begin to normalize your tank if you already have an outbreak:
  • Phosphate Control
  • Nitrate Control
  • Starvation conditions (zero or near-zero nitrate or phosphate levels) should be avoided.
    • Keep in mind that dissolved nutrients are not "waste products" to be eliminated
    • They are nutrients for the critters you care about like corals
    • The are also nutrients for a potential multitude of mostly-unknown/anonymous microbes that are needed to bring stability to a new tank.
    • Once excess nutrients have an impact, in fact, they usually can't be simply eliminated with media anyway – they've probably already had an impact on the tank's microbial cycle. (See blog link #3 at bottom.)
    • This all adds up to skipping almost all "extra" nutrient removing steps during the tank's initial development. This period seems to be especially critical, and longer in a tank started with dry, dead rock. Don't use anything until it's absolutely needed and other options have been fully exhausted...and be conservative with how you apply any nutrient removing tool.
What to do if you're tank is already having a dino outbreak
When attempting to control an organism like a dinoflagellate, confirming the ID will help, if possible:
  • So to begin with, make sure you have Dinos – you should have multiple factors at work...these factors were mentioned in the first section above. The less these factors seem to describe your tank, the less likely any of this advice will be correct for your situation – so post questions! :)
    • no special equipment is needed to confirm whether your algae sample has dino's and/or other algae
    • Use @taricha's dino confirmation guide on posts #986-987.
  • Once you have confirmed that you have dino's you should ideally figure out what type(s) your tank is hosting. (Multiple species blooms seem almost as common as single-strain blooms.)
    • A basic 1200x microscope will be useful and doesn't have to be fancier than a $15 toy scope. Even a $50 scope is a lot nicer, if you think you might be more serious about it.
    • See: Selecting a microscope for more discussion.

• Extra Measures
    Generally, these tools will give extra control in terms of removing and/or killing cells in the water column....usually, along with other measures explained here, expediting the close of the dino bloom.
    • UV
      You can find discussions throughout the thread by using this search, with a great breakout of spec's on post #3770.
    • Diatom Filtration
      Effective, but not that popular. The more common units like the classic Vortex are somewhat difficult to use, and the newer units like the new Marineland Polishing Filter are relatively unknown. Still worthy of consideration.
So, after you get a measure of control, make sure you read What is the End Game?

Miscellaneous Goodies

• Take measures to assure that your feeding system is very consistent. An auto-feeder is an overlooked tool on most tanks. Look at Eheim's feeders...set them on low with high quality flake food. Just don't let them run your whole feeding program as flake isn't great food.

• Find out what inconsistencies you can eliminate with your husbandry to prevent more unneeded disturbances and the resulting microbial/algal changes. This could be changes to lighting or water chemistry – make them as consistent as you can.

• E.g. If you're adding new livestock all the time, stop it. If you have a color-tunable light fixture, stop re-tuning the colors. If you don't have an ATO keeping your salinity stable, get one. If you're still managing your dosing by hand, get an $80 4-head doser. Etc.

• If you provide the stability, then your dino's competitors will start competing with them and their predators will start eating them!!

• One thing that seems to help things progress is to stop scraping down the algae off your glass....once the dino's start giving up space that is. Mechanical removal is a legit short-term strategy and might help give competitors a leg up too.

Other interesting more-or-less related links on my blog:
(Also cross-posted in the old Dino thread!)

Very very good Info. As a new tank owner this really makes things clear.
When you state the non use of nutrient inhibiting media in a new tank does that Include carbon packs?

2nd question, when you have a newer Fluval tank cycled with dead rock and sand. Is the stock about of bio media enough if I've replaced my sponge block with an intank basket?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very good Info. As a new tank owner this really makes things clear.
When you state the non use of nutrient inhibiting media in a new tank does that Include carbon packs?

2nd question, when you have a newer Fluval tank cycled with dead rock and sand. Is the stock about of bio media enough if I've replaced my sponge block with an intank basket?

Carbon (GAC) is fine. I would avoid ChemiPure Elite as it has GFO a phosphate binder. It is a great product to use later when your PO4 has crept past .1 or so.

Assuming you have enough rock (say .5 to 1 lbs per gallon) and some sand, then you have enough media for nitrification cycle.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon (GAC) is fine. I would avoid ChemiPure Elite as it has GFO a phosphate binder. It is a great product to use later when your PO4 has crept past .1 or so.

Assuming you have enough rock (say .5 to 1 lbs per gallon) and some sand, then you have enough media for nitrification cycle.

I did have a Phos creep up a month ago to about .7 but I was for sure over feeding. Cut feeding down to once a day and the diatom bloom stalled. Phos at .01 last I checked and after I cleaned it off the glass tank and most of the rock seems to be retreating. Nitrates seem to stay between 2 to 10 idk why. (tank cycled in may) I definitley have a little under when it comes to substrate (maybe avg .5 inches) and I think I under stocked my rock a little. I just felt my 13. 5 didn't give me many options that wouldn't block light or make cleaning a pain.

20200811_113238.jpg 20200806_185527.jpg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like things are starting to come about. The brow is receding, nearly nonexistent on the rocks and its presence on the sand seems to be diminishing.

GHA really stating to take off in places, the 4 turbos are holding it back a bit but I may have to get a couple more. Glass gets a good amount of deposit of "good algae" and the floss didn't collect a ton of nasties.

Hammers are still very much upset and I'm not sure why, I'm hoping is just the stress of dinos, plus the increase in temp and the nutrients.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things are starting to come about. The brow is receding, nearly nonexistent on the rocks and its presence on the sand seems to be diminishing.

GHA really stating to take off in places, the 4 turbos are holding it back a bit but I may have to get a couple more. Glass gets a good amount of deposit of "good algae" and the floss didn't collect a ton of nasties.

Hammers are still very much upset and I'm not sure why, I'm hoping is just the stress of dinos, plus the increase in temp and the nutrients.
Got any pics of before and now for science?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got GHA growing out of the sand now....need to find a way to take care of that as snails don't seem to wanna go onto the sandbed.
I definitley notice the improvement.

Concerning the snails do you feed them outside of their natural grazing?

My shrimp didn't clean till I restricted food then we was cleaning live rock and turning over rocks in the sand.

Have you dialed back feeding at all?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I definitley notice the improvement.

Concerning the snails do you feed them outside of their natural grazing?

My shrimp didn't clean till I restricted food then we was cleaning live rock and turning over rocks in the sand.

Have you dialed back feeding at all?

No indint feed them specifically, just I guess whatever settles after fish feeding. I put 4 turbos in there 4 days ago and the last two days they've been killing it as far as GHA goes I'll be adding 4 more.

20200812_084558.jpg

Upper portion versus lower portion. Upper has been cleaned by the snail the bottom has not. I use them like unruly Roomba vacuums, just pluck them up and drop them where I want to clean and by the end of the day the rock looks pretty good.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No indint feed them specifically, just I guess whatever settles after fish feeding. I put 4 turbos in there 4 days ago and the last two days they've been killing it as far as GHA goes I'll be adding 4 more.

20200812_084558.jpg

Upper portion versus lower portion. Upper has been cleaned by the snail the bottom has not. I use them like unruly Roomba vacuums, just pluck them up and drop them where I want to clean and by the end of the day the rock looks pretty good.
Wow that's very effective. Duely noted!

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question for you guys. I have finally gotten a handle on my Dino’s. Every 3-4 day’s I get this brown stuff that looks like the start of Dino’s again. Tank is 4 months old. I take a turkey bastor and mix it up and it goes away. The brown spots go away at night and come back during the day. I have been running the UV which helped a lot for 2-3 weeks now. Should I be worried about it coming back ? It’s so minor now it’s very hard to get a sample to look under my microscope. Is it normal to have to clean my sand every 3-4 days or is this new tank syndrome? Thanks

97FF86A6-1770-4656-BAC7-7275D469DBB9.jpeg 7A2BF3F6-C442-4162-8F92-21858231D388.jpeg 0C61890E-6F4A-4CC1-90CA-46C7921810DE.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back