Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ostreo I micro dosed bleach as per the old dino thread. This is controversial as it can kill your fish but corals and clean up crew seem to be unaffected. Ostreo was wiped out in less than 5 days and no sign of it returning in over a month now.

Unfortunately I didnt extend the micro dosing of bleach beyond a week and waiting to see some aquabiomics testing of its effects at that time. With that, I still have LCA but the good news is that appears to be dying down with the use of heavy microbelift special blend. The first day I dosed the microbelift I injected it into the sand with a turkey baster. Looked like my LCA was near half gone after a week. Im still battling it so only time will tell but at least the tank is somewhat presentable now.

Also pods. Lots an lots of copepods. Previously in my tank there is usually no pods in site. I am making it a mission to keep them over populated now. I ran out of live phyto weeks ago but luckily there is a lot of products that are more economical and will last longer in a fridge to keep them fed. I am trying reef enhance right now to keep the population up. I also know they like to eat phytochrome by brightwell. Smells like tomato juice.

So far I have lost no animals. SPS and LPS continue to grow. The only nuisance algae I have is bubble algae that was always a problem even before the dinos. I have not seen any sign of cyano.

Last edited:

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to my posts #12,449 and 12,451...Tank is now covered in hair algae, though little on the sand and mostly on rocks and back wall. Microscope still shows dinos mixed in (LCA, small cell amph., and prorocentrum). I'm upping my silica dosing again as I had reduced it. Corals still not doing well, BTA's not happy and not expanding. Added additional clean-up crew on 4/17 including 5 Mexican Turbos and had many losses (not sure if from shipping stress or tank conditions).

Nitrates still running 20-25 and Phosphates are continuing to drop but still high. Now at .9 down from over 1.5

Very frustrating. I started trying to manually remove as much as I can but it's tough as I have to do it in-tank. Will try peroxide dip on the corals with hair algae hoping I can save some of them. I'm considering starting AlgaeFix or Brightwell's Razor as a last resort but not sure if that will make things even worse. Any thoughts?

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5194.jpeg
IMG_5200.png
Alright boys and girls looks like it’s my turn… got brown stringy stuff on my substrate and for some reason it really seems to like getting on my Zoas. Of course, P03 and N04 are zeroed out which I’m trying to remedy. I believe this is ostreopsis Dino’s can anyone confirm?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back