Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Pants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going through a small outbreak right now. Pants, I'd gladly send you a sample.

Excellent (well for me... I feel so weird getting excited when it means someone else has a nasty pest). If you PM me an address I can send out some tubes. I'm hoping if I get enough people to send me samples I'll eventually get some actual dinos and hopefully an interesting variety.

yeldarbj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading through this thread last week, I started peroxide dosing and lights out. Prior to this, I went through a 3 week treatment using FM's Ultra AlgaeX. I was hopeful after starting with 48 hours lights and the initial 3 doses. My skimmer was pulling all sorts of gunk out. Then, as I brought the lights slowly up to more normal levels, but still only about 6 hours with blue lights and 3 or less with whites, the dinos started to return. The Ultra AlgaeX gets dosed every 2 days and by the 2nd afternoon, my sandbed and rock were starting to coat in dinos.

This week, I've done 3 days of lights out followed by a day with blue lights only for about 4 hours, and now I'm in my 2nd day of another 3 days lights out. I'm hopeful but will know more next week as I bring the lights back up.

Pants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Envelopes have been sent to everyone who PMed me addresses. Thanks everyone. I'll post some photos of what I get here if everything makes it through the mail alright. I'd love to get more samples too, so if you haven't contacted me feel free to do so.

Pants

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quickly threw up a website at Algae Identification to show photos of the pest algae people send me in the hopes that it will help more people identify their algae. Not much there yet but I'll add more as I get more.

seriousdude5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much research on this and reading this whole thread. I am going to begin dosing tonight. 1ml per 10gallons. I will let you know how it works out for me, I've been battling what I'm assuming aredinos for 6 months now. Many die off over night and return during the lights on period restricting my lights to 4 hours a day is the only way I've kept them in check. I will post updates and let you know howit turns out. (I just registered an account too btw)

seriousdude5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have added 3 10ml doses I'm guessing I have ~ 100gallons. The algea is dying off slowly I did lights off for 2 days so that may be the reason. I have noticed so adverse effects on my livestock. Corals include- mushrooms, frogspawn, figi leather, trumpet coral, elegance coral, zoas. My fish are doing fine, and shrimp are fine which I were worried about. I will continue for a couple more days and see if progress continues.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How come very few people report back... They say they are going to start and never report back if it worked.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks.
I'm on my second day of 20ml(1 ml per 10gallons, 220 plus sump less rock is around 200) and I'm yet to see anything good or bad. but I'm aware that it could take a few days. I'm going to try it for a wk...
corey

sdsaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not using H2O2 has any impact on our copepod populations? I'm convinced that my original dinoflagellate problem closely correlated with a crash in my pods. Not sure which came first, the crash or the dinos. But since I've been battling dinos I've had a very hard time reestablishing my pod population. And I don't want to add H2O2 if it's going to inhibit copepod development. Any thoughts?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not using H2O2 has any impact on our copepod populations? I'm convinced that my original dinoflagellate problem closely correlated with a crash in my pods. Not sure which came first, the crash or the dinos. But since I've been battling dinos I've had a very hard time reestablishing my pod population. And I don't want to add H2O2 if it's going to inhibit copepod development. Any thoughts?

I doubt it would. Dinoflagellates are poisonous and could impact some pod populations. But there also maybe some copepod that lives off of dino's..

I personally have never seen any affect on pod populations when I have seen outbreaks of dino's. I just redid a tank with dead rock and sand and had a dino outbreak in this tank and had pods thrive. I had no fish in this tank.. Dino's completely went way after adding Gracilaria and other algae to my fuge. The outbreak going away also probably had to do with the tank cycling too. It didn’t cycle like a normal tank since I used clean rock and sand but bacteria had to settle in.

Last edited:

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read along for a while and started the perox dose. I have a 60 gal reef/live sand bed and home made skimmer no sump no external filtering system just power heads. I have just about every thing in my tank snales, shrimp, sps, lps dusters, fish, nems, palys I miss read the instructions and added .5mil per gallon which came out to be 18 mil for three days in my 60 gallon reef. Most of my bubble alge turned clear and went by the way side. The only thing that i noticed is the slow down of groth on my sps. I am not one to have all the dosing equipment i hand dose brightwell a & b daily. I used MB7 and reef bio fuel for a while and notice an increase in red slime. Just thought that someone might want to know what happened with .5 mill per gallon.

seriousdude5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed for a week went lights out for 3 days, unforuntely the algea still remains. Perhaps its not dinos. But I didn't have luck with this. My problem isn't out of control just becomes a nusence to my elegance coral and leather coral during the day. But, I gave it a shot, had no ill effects on the tank.

FrAnZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I dosed for 6 days, 5ml per 50g for first 3 days, but every another day my corals looked worse and worse. I reduced dosage to 3ml per 50g on day 4.
On day 5 my zoas remained closed whole day. On day 6 again zoas didn't open and my Sarco retracted its polyps. I stopped dosing.
On day 7 zoanthids did open but only 50% and Sarco remained retracted. I did 10% water change and threw new carbon into the sump.
After a week zoas started to open normally but Sarco is still in bad shape. Other corals were unaffected by hydrogen pyroxide.
Dinos are still there.

Best regards
Mike

yeldarbj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do any lights out periods while dosing? I think at least a 2 day tank black out while dosing helps a lot.

FrAnZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced lighting period to 5 hours a day (only actinics). I have noticed huge decrease in amount of dinos in my tank.
Maybe I will start again with lights out and my Zoas and Sarco (if it recovers) in a separate quarantine tank.

Last edited:

yeldarbj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zoas handled both lights out and the peroxide without any problems, no experience with a sarco though. If you are able to take them out, try it with lights out. I believe the theory is that the lights out gets the dinos in the water column and in a weakened state, and the peroxide zaps them while in the water column.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back