Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Craig Murphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Could someone please confirm if this is the dreaded dinos?
Struggled with diatoms and what looks like dinos ever since I had to move my tank 2 months ago.
I’ve now had to removed the the sandbed and doing as much manual removal as possible by blasting rocks each day and rinsing floss.
Also tried chemiclean which helped with a bit of cyano and ran actinic only for 3 days or so.

Never had this in any of my reef tanks in the past. I’d like to know why it happens as peramters we’re always good until I moved the tank. I’m guessing it released some phosphates and nitrates from the 2 inch sandbed.

Coraline hasn’t managed to take off very well so far so I’ve just blended and added some from my bros tank.
If hydrogen peroxide is the way to go then I’ll certainly give it a try.

BC33A7B8-EFC0-4D27-93D4-13BAAF2EE02B.jpeg

ADC19B8C-73DB-47C0-A112-35C86EADFF9A.jpeg

D0315854-E0D9-4CBC-BB46-9CBA8DE8309D.jpeg

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2o2 is not the way.

Please check in over here: Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

I recommend getting some microscope pics and posting in that thread for a more specific ID. Get the $10 toy microscope mentioned in that thread if you don't have one. It'll let you view up to 1200x.

Also make sure you read the whole first page and investigate at least some of the links there before you do anything.

Craig Murphy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input mcarroll.
With the changes I had made by removing the sandbed and blasting the rocks and coral with a powerhead each day the algae was definitely receding.

I haven’t done a water change for 3 weeks and also upped phosphate to just 0.03 and nitrates up to 5.0. I also pulled 2 reactors off line using rowaphos and phosguard.
Now back to chaeto and putting plenty of mixed foods in and see how it goes.

I have used 2 half doses of Dino ex and it’s all gone so will keep an eye on the tank at least 100 times a day as usual.

Very pleased to see some great progress at last as I’ve heard stories of people having to pull their tanks down and I’ve never had this before.

I believe this was either caused by me having to move the tank and upsetting the sandbed or it came in on an un dipped frag

77F50B84-1847-42BA-B1CC-8F92BAEC1443.jpeg

493B36C0-1BA4-47DF-BF56-60EFB09242F8.jpeg

AF205755-2F60-4E37-85C3-7C65DDF0D2C7.jpeg

B8B5AC48-7240-440A-80EF-40AD8FAFA51B.jpeg

Last edited:

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does hydrogen peroxide affect an ATS? I would imagine it would kill everything off of it and would have to start all over again.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H202 breaks down quite fast in salt water. It oxidises anything it comes in contact with be it dinoflagellates, turf algae or some bacteria....to name but a few examples. It’s not specific to anything in the aquarium.

Technically it could kill the algae but As most are housed in a sump I would expect it to have neutralised by the time it reached it. Still it does remain a possibility.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does hydrogen peroxide affect an ATS? I would imagine it would kill everything off of it and would have to start all over again.

It may not affect it at all. But you might want to either search for a related thread (this one's on dinoflagellates) or start your own thread if you can (I see you're brand new - welcome!!) so you get more eyeballs on your question.

Good luck!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H202 breaks down quite fast in salt water. It oxidises anything it comes in contact with be it dinoflagellates, turf algae or some bacteria....to name but a few examples. It’s not specific to anything in the aquarium.

Technically it could kill the algae but As most are housed in a sump I would expect it to have neutralised by the time it reached it. Still it does remain a possibility.

An alternate explanation for oxidizers helping deter Dinos is oxidation of certain trace elements, such as iron and manganese, reducing their solubility and bioavailability to the Dinos.

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it’s 1 ml/10 gal of the regular 3% hydrogen peroxide you find in any drugstore?

What are the side effects on clams, pods shrimp and snails?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@five.five-six You may want to flip over to the Algae forum and check out this sticky thread:
Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

At least read through the information in the first post and check out as many of the links there as you can.

Above all, make sure you know what you're treating....verify with one of the tests in the first post that you can do with almost no equipment that it's at least some type of dino. Or ID by way of microscope. (Lotsa folks using $10 scopes....not a big deal...best way to ID anything.)

At the top of that thread, I have linked a much larger experimentation (i.e cure) thread where everything from h2o2 to bleach (yes....I know...right?) was extensively tested for miracle-curativeness. Results were conclusive – dino's are cure-resitant as heck!

You can run a search on that thread to see how often out of the 4000+ posts that h2o2 was tried by different members and see how many times dino's came back for them. (time saver: All verifiable cases of had dino's return.)

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@five.five-six You may want to flip over to the Algae forum and check out this sticky thread:
Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

At least read through the information in the first post and check out as many of the links there as you can.

Above all, make sure you know what you're treating....verify with one of the tests in the first post that you can do with almost no equipment that it's at least some type of dino. Or ID by way of microscope. (Lotsa folks using $10 scopes....not a big deal...best way to ID anything.)

At the top of that thread, I have linked a much larger experimentation (i.e cure) thread where everything from h2o2 to bleach (yes....I know...right?) was extensively tested for miracle-curativeness. Results were conclusive – dino's are cure-resitant as heck!

You can run a search on that thread to see how often out of the 4000+ posts that h2o2 was tried by different members and see how many times dino's came back for them. (time saver: All verifiable cases of had dino's return.)

I think they are dinos... here is a video of their family reunion

The one on the left has had wayyyy too much to drink and making moves on his cousin... and she's only 16 minutes old... pervert!!!

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been letting the dinos grow on the glass to keep them off the coral, rock and Sans but today the glass turned green great news because I think that means the algae is now kicking Dino butt!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it was mentioned but bivalves are known predators of free swimming dinoflagellets. Might be worth a shot.

y4743e08.jpg

Ramon Estevez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS doses Hydrogen Peroxide on his display tanks for all nuisance algae’s and he’s got some of the best looking tanks I’ve seen around.

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to identify my dino's. There might be a couple types in here. The ones moving about tend to orbit around a center point.

FQE0CNXh.jpg

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided before I would restart my tank due to a number of issue;

Byropsis
Dino
Vermetid snails
Aquascapes

I took my GFO offline and within a few days my Dino vanished, I then spent the day removing the majority of my rocks, scrubbing them clean of vermetid snails, bryopsis and rescaping, what’s interesting after mixing up some of the sandbed there was no webs like there normally is, I imagine the population died off but the stems still obviously remain.

Two days after a 25% water change and not a single sign of Dino.

Vermetid snails all clear and just waiting on fluconazole to arrive to kill of any remains byropsis.

Really it’s amazing just what I have had to deal with and still enjoy the hobby.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back