Disease identification and treatment help

katiestl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One week ago, I added a gem tang, a mandarin and a blenny. Everything was just fine before then.
Sunday, the gem tang got stuck to the side of my powerhead and died Monday. Also died Monday, the mandarin.
Tuesday, I lost my blue eyed kole tang. so right then I started treating for ich with metroplex, focus and ich-x at half strength in the tank. Turned off skimmer and UV.
Today, I lost my clownfish.

I am trying to save the rest of the fish, and I can set up a quarantine 10 gal tank for all of them (YT, small blue hippo, one clown, goby and blenny).

These are my questions:
1. I’m attaching pics of the (sorry, now dead) clownfish, but I would say all fish had some kind of white spots on them, I’ve seen pictures of diseases and I have real trouble discerning between all of them. What do we think this is?
2. When I set up the quarantine tank, can I put everyone in there together? I only have to match temp and salinity and add aeration, correct?
3. Can I use my powerhead from my DT in the quarantine tank for aeration just on a low flow? Or do diseases attach to equipment?
4. I do have a crab and a cleaner shrimp, what do I do with them?
5. I have some coral, but honestly I’m more worried about saving my fish. If I lose the coral, then so be it. But any help telling me what to do with that is also helpful.

B7596FFA-875B-4E8A-B6DB-55B9824F99AF.jpeg 4DA40C1A-98B9-415F-AFF7-8F064E00FE50.jpeg 9DF202FF-54CE-427D-88B6-7638087A2862.jpeg 115A91C6-DE38-4D2C-B26C-E0F26750A5C8.jpeg 3A07AF4F-944D-4FC9-8CE1-A5270BA3D84D.jpeg

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Katie sorry you lost your fish. It’s terrible. i would set up a qt. Treat with copper power. You will need a Hanna copper checker with extra reagents. I’m suspecting velvet. Do the fish have a slight haze? I would dose full strength immediately. @Jay Hemdal

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to setup a QT tank do treat them separate out of the display. I don't think that is ich based on what the clownfish looks like. Picture of remaining fish? The dusting looks more like velvet or maybe even brook. Jay knows his stuff though.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, fish don't just get stuck to powerheads normally

OP
OP
katiestl

katiestl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to setup a QT tank do treat them separate out of the display. I don't think that is ich based on what the clownfish looks like. Picture of remaining fish? The dusting looks more like velvet or maybe even brook. Jay knows his stuff though.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, fish don't just get stuck to powerheads normally

I’m suspecting velvet also sadly. My other clownfish has some haze to him but just on the backside of his head. It’s so hard to take pics in the DT. My blenny has some white haze on his face, but nowhere else. The blenny and the YT is flashing on the sand. I don’t see anything visible on anyone else.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet, I would do a peroxide dip before the QT tank to knock some parasites off. Petco is having their 50% off sale. I would buy a 29g for those fish and it can be used for future fish anyways. I think they are only $25 right now. A 10g seems small for what you have left.

Anyways here is the dip information:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet, I would do a peroxide dip before the QT tank to knock some parasites off. Petco is having their 50% off sale. I would buy a 29g for those fish and it can be used for future fish anyways. I think they are only $25 right now. A 10g seems small for what you have left.

Anyways here is the dip information:

Havn't dealt with velvet but is that a newer treatment option?

OP
OP
katiestl

katiestl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. This is what I’ve done now:
set up a quarantine tank of 10 g matching salinity and temp with a HOB filter (carbon removed). Put some coffee mugs in there for hiding since I have yet to buy any pipes. I am dosing Cupramine Seachem at 0.5 level and testing with a copper kit. Shrimp and crab and coral stayed in the display tank. Dosing there ICH-X at half strength, no skimmer and no UV running.

My questions are now around water changes and timing of how long to do the medicine in either tank and how much water to change and how often?

Thanks so much everyone! I’m praying everyone stays safe!

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok get the fish in ASAP. Also get the copper to recommended dose. Buy a seachem ammonia badge. 20% water changes daily until you get the badge. This is my old way of doing things. I’m sure there is better instructions on R2R.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back