Dispar anthias only accepting Calanus?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have three Dispar anthias in QT right now and have been treating with metro and trying to feed medicated food 1x/day (general cure). I have not added copper as I’m waiting for them to eat a lot and bulk up nutrition before doing that; however, the fish seem to have an indented belly despite 3-4 feedings being offered/day.

I have tried feeding (also with the addition of selcon and garlic):
LRS reef frenzy (nano)
Mysis shrimp
TDO c2 pellets
NLS pellets (these felt too large)
ON flake food

They seem to only go for PE calanus. Any tips for getting them to accept other foods (or other foods to offer) and bulk them up?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed 5+ times a day with the calanus. If this is freeze dried then soak with a little selcon. Once they are consistently eating then add a small amount of finely chopped mysis. Keep a large container of premixed temperature matched saltwater and maintain water quality. I would observe without meds and only use if indicated. Low blue lighting.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would feed 5+ times a day with the calanus. If this is freeze dried then soak with a little selcon. Once they are consistently eating then add a small amount of finely chopped mysis. Keep a large container of premixed temperature matched saltwater and maintain water quality. I would observe without meds and only use if indicated. Low blue lighting.
I was thinking about trying to increase the calanus feedings, but I was a little nervous doing that too much with them in a small QT tank. I will give this a try! I’ve been debating on skipping the copper with these and just observing since I’ve read they can be touchy with copper (and it reduces appetite).

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three Dispar anthias in QT right now and have been treating with metro and trying to feed medicated food 1x/day (general cure). I have not added copper as I’m waiting for them to eat a lot and bulk up nutrition before doing that; however, the fish seem to have an indented belly despite 3-4 feedings being offered/day.

I have tried feeding (also with the addition of selcon and garlic):
LRS reef frenzy (nano)
Mysis shrimp
TDO c2 pellets
NLS pellets (these felt too large)
ON flake food

They seem to only go for PE calanus. Any tips for getting them to accept other foods (or other foods to offer) and bulk them up?
You can try live brine shrimp as well. If they’re accepting calanus you can hatch baby brine shrimp if larger brine shrimp aren’t readily available. If they will accept, you can start mixing in additional frozen foods simultaneously.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back