Display Refugium and Seeking Macros

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prolifera absolutely lives up to its name. I started with literally like 2 or 3 half leaves and could probably fill up a 10 gallon tank with it already lol
also be super careful getting rid of it you have to make sure it is killed and sterilized before you throw it out (you're not supposed to even have it) and it absolutely wrecks the kelp forests down here. I have a couple friends studying/tracking it down for their theses and that growth is serious

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

First post here on the forum, been in the shadows for a while though. Nice to meet you all!

I'm stocking a display refugium and this post is to a) show off, c) request specific IDs if anyone knows them, and b) find anyone in the Southern California area willing to sell, trade, or otherwise offload any ornamental macroalgae (Hopefully that's a question I'm allowed to ask?). Specifically, I am interested in any blue or calcareous macroalgae.

Here's the complete setup:
NditcGT.jpg

And here's a wide angle of the refugium:
BUwX4Bi.jpg

Thus far I have managed to acquire:
Chaeto: if anyone knows the specific species name I'd love to have that information (I separated the caulerpa bits since taking this picture.)
keqsZSp.jpg

Gracilaria: Hayi or possibly curtisssae, maybe even both if I could be so lucky. Bought together, unlabeled at LFS (or as red razor which is definitely incorrect.)
ndk7Vao.jpg

vp3C1Fu.jpg

G. Parvispora?
Nh8n4u9.jpg

G. sp? Came with what I think is parvisipora, might be more of the same. Labeled only as gracilaria at (different than above) LFS. Kindly disregard the chaeto bits.
8YJ5Qo5.jpg

Caulerpa prolifera (I'll do my best to be careful with this one)
DL0aI1A.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look! :D
What LFS did you get these from? Ive been looking for somewhere to grab some display micros for my parents and in laws FOWLR tanks to aid their filtrAtion and add some movement and color

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received 75lbs of diver collected uncured lI’ve rock from Gulf live rock. I now have many varieties of both utility macro & ornamental macro. C Prolifera &
C Paspoidies grow the fastest. After curing this rock for 30 days, I moved the best into 75G display. I happily harvest a meadow of Caulerpa Prolifera and thin it out to feed tangs in other tanks. So, Caulerpa is designated a utility macro, however I enjoy watching a meadow of emery green fronds undulating in the currents.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
JoannaCora

JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received 75lbs of diver collected uncured lI’ve rock from Gulf live rock. I now have many varieties of both utility macro & ornamental macro. C Prolifera &
C Paspoidies grow the fastest. After curing this rock for 30 days, I moved the best into 75G display. I happily harvest a meadow of Caulerpa Prolifera and thin it out to feed tangs in other tanks. So, Caulerpa is designated a utility macro, however I enjoy watching a meadow of emery green fronds undulating in the currents.
Looking fantastic! I got a great selection of macros on the rock I ordered from GLR as well, very happy with it. Now just trying to decide what to do with the rocks that don't fit well in my other tanks :D guess I'll need more tanks.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking fantastic! I got a great selection of macros on the rock I ordered from GLR as well, very happy with it. Now just trying to decide what to do with the rocks that don't fit well in my other tanks :D guess I'll need more tanks.

More tanks! That makes you addicted.

A very important part of uncured live rock is cryptic sponges & other micro inverts. In the past, I opened up a canister filter to find abundent amphipods and numerous cryptic sponges.

I have taken the cryptic challenge in my 75G display that is twenty five yr old. I removed all Chaeto and filled second chamber of EcoSystem mud refugium with live rock on top of eggcrate to keep rock out of 1.5” mud filter. Just as the canister filter turned out to be hi flow cryptic refugium, the void in Plenum of display with UG filter is also a high flow cryptic refugium.

Because I now have a ready source of utility macro to feed tangs in 75G & 120G. I am managing to keep up with Hippo appetite and still display Caulerpa Prolifera, which I find attractive and herbivores say thanks for the food.

In first picture, Note Caulerpa Paspoidies has no feathers to see. Now we know which Caulerpa the Hippo likes best.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoannaCora

JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More tanks! That makes you addicted.
I think it's safe to say I'm already well addicted. This is the first time I'm writing it all out, here we go.
125g cube FOWLR tank
40g dual display reef/planted biocubes
5g nano planted reef
40g+45g macroalgae grow out
55g coral grow out/daycare (friend is remodeling)
working on setting up an outdoor macro grow out, 30g frag tank + sump on rolling cart.

So, I'll be pushing 350 gallons salt across all systems pretty soon here. Plus a 40g breeder freshwater planted tank but we're not supposed to talk about that here.

I have taken the cryptic challenge in my 75G display that is twenty five yr old.
25 year old reef is an amazing feat in itself. Almost as old as... I wont finish the sentence but I assume you can figure out where it's headed lol

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently surprised to see both Caulerpa Paspoidoides and Halymenia go sexual in 75G macro display lagoon.

Last picture is 3 month old 30G tank temporally set up on coffee table. Note Halymenia & Bortacladia crowding out Caulerpa Paspoidies

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's safe to say I'm already well addicted. This is the first time I'm writing it all out, here we go.
125g cube FOWLR tank
40g dual display reef/planted biocubes
5g nano planted reef
40g+45g macroalgae grow out
55g coral grow out/daycare (friend is remodeling)
working on setting up an outdoor macro grow out, 30g frag tank + sump on rolling cart.

So, I'll be pushing 350 gallons salt across all systems pretty soon here. Plus a 40g breeder freshwater planted tank but we're not supposed to talk about that here.

25 year old reef is an amazing feat in itself. Almost as old as... I wont finish the sentence but I assume you can figure out where it's headed lol

yes, you are an addicted reefer. We have about the same volume indoors.

previously, AquaCulture Ranch had 10,000G in a 20’ by 40’ greenhouse and three 150G Rubbermade tubs buried in ground. Greenhouse system has been dismantled and greenhouse sits idle. I am considering hydroponic herb growout for the greenhouse. The three 150G tubs buried in ground are now housing water lilly and goldfish. Included in outside water garden is 1500G koi pond.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back