DIY Leak detection

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some discussions on creating some DIY leak detector boards and using them on the Apex BoB but can this also be done with an FMM module? The optical sensors are not too expensive but $30 for a box to detect water seems a little high. I have a BoB but it is full and picked up a second FMM just trying to figure out the best way to add 2 floor sensors and 2 water level sensors. The FMM is expecting 4 wires vs. 2 from the pics I have seen.

If going with Apex equipment is the best way, I can do that too but a little DIY feels good form time to time.

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully understand DIY can be a goal in and of itself, but here is what I went with:

I also bought a pack of 5 additional detectors and have them hooked up all around the house. I've tested them and they work great, but I haven't had an actual leak yet.

Jay

OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. That is interesting. I have a Govee temp and humidity monitor but never looked for this. Being able to shut down water sources is the main goal but this is a viable option too. Sometimes it is easy to overthink.

Thanks

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the arduino rain sensors wired in parallel with washers hot glued on the back to give weight to hold them down then hooked in to a BOB. I would imagine that you can do the same by getting the connectors which connect to the FMM which I think are mono headphone jacks to accomplish the same using the FMM.

Attachments

• 8ACD03EF-A3DD-4CB3-AC34-3D0FA0F6B96C.jpeg
    8ACD03EF-A3DD-4CB3-AC34-3D0FA0F6B96C.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
ellisz

ellisz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the arduino rain sensors wired in parallel with washers hot glued on the back to give weight to hold them down then hooked in to a BOB. I would imagine that you can do the same by getting the connectors which connect to the FMM which I think are mono headphone jacks to accomplish the same using the FMM.
From what I have seen, the jack has 4 wires:

I have looked as those sensors. I probably should have looked at a module that would allow another BoB.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully understand DIY can be a goal in and of itself, but here is what I went with:

I also bought a pack of 5 additional detectors and have them hooked up all around the house. I've tested them and they work great, but I haven't had an actual leak yet.

Jay

That is so cool, I have leak detectors which are just audible, this however solves my problem because my tank is in the basement. Did not know these existed. Thank you!!!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Hi Jay, what you have did not show up on my screen. I assume it was a link. Can you tell me what it was. Had two leaks in less than a couple months and really need to stop before my husband kills me. Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, what you have did not show up on my screen. I assume it was a link. Can you tell me what it was. Had two leaks in less than a couple months and really need to stop before my husband kills me. Thanks.
The link was for Amazon; Govee leak dectectors. I bought 5 for around $45. They are WiFi so if they detect water, not only do they set off a local alarm sound, I get a notification on my phone from their app as well.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got some. Thanks. a ton!

They weren't super-easy to set up with the WiFi, but then, I'm not all that good with tech. It's been almost a year since I installed these, so I just tested one - the alarm sounded and my phone went into alert - so they still work!

Also - I see you also need to buy the round "puck" as well as the detectors in order to enable WiFi - like this one here:

Jay

Last edited:

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it work with rodi water? most water sensor I saw work by water making a short between 2 electrodes (which does not work with rodi). How does it sense water?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it work with rodi water? most water sensor I saw work by water making a short between 2 electrodes (which does not work with rodi). How does it sense water?
That’s a good question, I don’t know. I don’t have any RODI around or I’d test it for you. I think even a bit of dirt from the floor would add enough ions to allow current to flow between the sensing pins, but I’m not sure.
Jay

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY is the best way to go - very easy to implement - saved me 2 times already from having the floor damaged

here's the link for interested people..

Back